Author Topic: Ardesa mini cannon  (Read 1534 times)

Offline durvin

• Trade Count: (0)
Ardesa mini cannon
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this board, so this may have been covered before.  What do you think of the mini cannons from Ardesa in Spain?  Are they safe to shoot (Ardesa recommends loads of 45 to 85 grains of black powder or Pyrodex)?  Do the barrels meet the wall thickness at the breech and other design features for a cannon that you like to see?  Any other comments recommendations?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Ardesa mini cannon
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »
Our recommendation is wall thickness = bore diameter, so to the extent they meet that standard, we would say they are safe, although there are other requirements for a piece to be truly safe.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:12:33 PM »
durvin,

Welcome to the board!
I am not familiar with that barrel. Pics and dimensions would be helpful.

Michael
                                          Home of the Golden Gun

Offline durvin

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 03:18:12 PM »
Thank for the input.  I have emailed Ardesa and asked for dimensions and sketch of barrel.  I will let you know if I receive a reply.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »
I think Ardesa cannons are the Jukar/Dikar's sold in the US by Traditions firearms.  I owned an Ardesa black powder rifle a while back.  Good quality.

Offline NinjaToes

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »
Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline durvin

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 05:05:06 PM »
 Cool video!  What did the inside of the barrel look like when you got the cannon?  Smooth bore or very rough.  Diameter of the bore, if you have it please?  I have heard that the bores are very rough and measure more like 3/4 inch than .69

Offline NinjaToes

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »
Mine is an older one bought 25 years ago in France. The bore is fairly smooth and is indeed .69 caliber. I bought it last summer and I need something bigger now :)

Cool video!  What did the inside of the barrel look like when you got the cannon?  Smooth bore or very rough.  Diameter of the bore, if you have it please?  I have heard that the bores are very rough and measure more like 3/4 inch than .69
Some people are like a Slinky...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline megawatts

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 12:25:53 AM »
May I suggest you have a look at www.NCAGB.com  where you will be able to watch and enjoy a range of cannon being shot at Worcester Norton Shooting Club www.wnsc.co.uk . Members of the NCAGB [National Cannon Asso of GB] also shoot in postal cannnon comp organised by Douglas  .

Although the Ardessa cannon shoots fine, easily cleaned etc when using BP, one should consider certain elements for their robustness~~ a clip on the webside shows Ardessas being used in the postal cannon comp.

Regular shooter cover a variety of bore dia[due to UK legislation on energy restrictions~ refer to table in website]they are maily 18mm/20mm/.69/.577/.75 etc. the balls are normally hand cast with pure lead/jeff Tanner moulds.

I hope the above is useful.

Offline durvin

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 05:34:11 AM »
I checked out the web site, but you need a user name and pass word in order to see the videos.  I didn't see anyway to 'register' just to view the videos - so I assume this is for members only?

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 05:55:08 AM »
Megawatts, welcome to the Forum!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline megawatts

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 07:19:22 AM »
The NCAGB website is totally open site, it doesn’t require any pass word and is listed in DD blackpowder cannon link. Some elements of the WNSC are ‘closed’ but it doesn’t prevent the enjoyment of the site, or to see what the club is about and the depth of the regimental history behind the old ‘Worcester Norton’ army barracks.

Re the Ardesa
The NCAGB site shows them being shot in competition/fun, the loads vary, as each shooter decides on the best combination of ball (home cast)/powder charge (BP or pyro)/with or without patch/patch thickness etc/coarse or fine BP~~ all these variables have a measurable impact in a competition ~ one was used for DD postal shoot using pyro and patched ball.  For lots of noise & smoke etc then a large load of coarse BP is the answer.

The barrel is smooth bore [UK ones have a good finish] and has screw breech plug which is useful when cleaning.
For sale in the UK they must display a ‘proof house mark’ ie Spanish which appears to be acceptable to all CIP signatory countries/ for USA look at www.saami.org/ansi.html..

Some owners have experienced problems with the wheels/ humidity / elevation screw /general robustness etc, when used with frequent vigour. Several sets of aluminium wheels were subsequently cast [a set is shown on another cannon and the barrels mounted on a Hancock naval carriage [in video] 

The cast gun metal cannon shown have all been UK proofed at around 100/120 grns of Proof House Black powder, I understand that the actual ‘proof load’ they use is considerably more.

The updated site also shows the test firing of a cast gun metal ‘golf ball 43mm’ mortar 100+ meters.

I hope the above answers some of the questions raised

Offline durvin

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »
Hi, The website I was referring to was the Worcester Norton Shooting Club.  I went back and checked the NCAGB site and I didnt need a password for that site.