Author Topic: Handi pistol?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline MNzach

• Trade Count: (1)
Handi pistol?
« on: August 09, 2012, 03:10:52 PM »
Like the title says has anyone ever turned a handi into a pistol? I was thinking it might make a decent .44 mag pistol for deer hunting.
Zach

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
Re: Handi pistol?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 03:16:23 PM »

I too love the idea, BUT DON'T DO IT!

Its illegal as hell!  The F-Troop boys will love to bust you with some things like a 100K fine and maybe a 10yr stay in the pen.  No joking about this!

Only firearm I'm aware the ATF allows to be used as rifles AND handguns are the Contenders and Encores, assuming to user knows NOT to use a pistol length barrel with a rifle-stock.

Offline tturner53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 03:43:01 PM »
He's right, felony charge. Not worth the risk.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 03:56:25 PM »
find out how to do it legal  here

http://wethearmed.com/class-iii/atf-form-1-(individual)-template/

spend $200....then make it a 12 ga if you want
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline MNzach

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 06:09:23 PM »
 :( about what i thought i had been thinking about getting a super blackhawk hunter for this deer season since i'm tired of the old shotgun and i no longer have a muzzle loader and then i thought what if........?
Zach

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 03:13:13 AM »
make it a shorty
they seem to be real popular
i like the few i have
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline rc51kid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 03:50:28 AM »
this is part of the reason i am looking at Contenders. I like the Handi but the contender has a advantage in this regard.

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »
Just a bit of history for those who may not already know that the original H&R Handi Gun was a pistol - it came in 32-20, .410 and 28 Gauge versions (and I think there may have been one or two other calibers).  They were single shot break action pistols, much like today's Handi Rifle.  That was before 1934 - the National Firearms Act of 1934 made the shotgun versions essentially impossible to sell due to the classification of it as a sawed off shotgun and the $200 transfer tax required to transfer one. I have actually shot a .410 version before.  They are pretty rare these days because few people were willing to register them.  Legal ones are quite collectable. You don't want to get caught with one that isn't registered.....

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 03:01:48 AM »
Contenders and Encores can be bought either as a pistol or a rifle. You can make a rifle (16"+ barrel) out of a pistol, but you can not make a pistol out of a rifle. It all depends on how it was registered at the time of purchase. The manufacturer determines what it is when it leaves the factory. I have an older Contender handgun (before carbines were sold) that I have put a rifle barrel on and it is perfectly legal. If I had bought it as a rifle, it would be highly illegal to put a barrel on shorter than 16". When purchasing a T/C Contender or Encore you have to be careful about what it is registered as at time of purchase. Since all Handis are registered as long guns (not handguns), you can not put a barrel on shorter than 16" with out running afoul of Federal law.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Lonegun1894

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 03:29:32 AM »
You can do it, but there's a process and money involved.  As has been said above, file the paperwork with ATF, pay the $200 fee, and then enjoy it as it is until you get your approved tax stamp in a "few" (7-8 last i checked) months, and THEN, change it into the configuration you specified on your papers.  Yes, they will want to know a specific barrel lenght, caliber, overall lenght, etc, etc.  I hate to say it, but by the time you buy the rifle, and pay the tax stamp, you could have bought a contender and been shooting it for several months.  This is why I have both.  My H&Rs are staying in long gun configuration and the Contender (bought as a pistol) gets used as the handgun.  Boring, I know, but cheaper, quicker, and (legally) safer in the long run.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 03:32:23 AM »
Someone on this forum had a letter from ATF explaining that if you changed a Contenter pistol to a rifle, it would then be illegal to change it back......I guess if you didn't have both on hand at the same  time no one would know, but it does speak to ATF's attitude.

Be sure and be legal.  It ain't worth a felony rap..

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 04:32:14 AM »
Here's a pic of an original Handy Gun, they were also available in 22Lr.

Someone on this forum had a letter from ATF explaining that if you changed a Contenter pistol to a rifle, it would then be illegal to change it back......I guess if you didn't have both on hand at the same  time no one would know, but it does speak to ATF's attitude.

Be sure and be legal.  It ain't worth a felony rap..

Ben

The ATF changed that, see the TC Pistol forum sticky.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,259698.msg1099536544.html#msg1099536544

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 05:17:38 AM »
Excellent.  Thanks for the link, Quickdo!

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 06:03:28 PM »
I just saw the closest thing to a Handi Pistol that you can buy today in the latest Cabelas sale flyer - a Rossi single shot pistol using their single shot rifle action.  It comes as a matched pair in 45 / 410 (with choke) and 22 LR for around $300 -

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 10:37:38 PM »
I just saw the closest thing to a Handi Pistol that you can buy today in the latest Cabelas sale flyer - a Rossi single shot pistol using their single shot rifle action.  It comes as a matched pair in 45 / 410 (with choke) and 22 LR for around $300 -

I saw these a while back.  If it came with a .357 or .44 mag and a .22 LR, I'd already own one but I find the .45/.140 useless.

Tony

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 03:41:15 AM »
A little Google time turned up press releases saying that it would be available in .243 and 22-250 with other calibers coming soon and it also says it uses the same barrels at the Wizard Rifle - if our Handi's do die off, it looks like we may have something very similar to look at.  To bad H&R isn't moving the Handi down this path - making it have truly interchangeable barrels and offering a handgun version would probably breathe some new life into the product line.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 07:33:47 AM »
A little Google time turned up press releases saying that it would be available in .243 and 22-250 with other calibers coming soon and it also says it uses the same barrels at the Wizard Rifle - if our Handi's do die off, it looks like we may have something very similar to look at.  To bad H&R isn't moving the Handi down this path - making it have truly interchangeable barrels and offering a handgun version would probably breathe some new life into the product line.

Rossi promises much and delivers little.  They said there would be accessory barrels for this gun a year ago but they haven't delivered any.

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 08:25:37 AM »
I wouldn't trust Wizard barrel interchangability a bit, I've bought two, the first one fit an SB2 frame fine with a shim, the second one wouldn't come close to fitting the same frame with the same shim, one barrel was an extractor, the other was an ejector!  ::) See Handi-Wizard in the FAQs for more info if interested.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain