Author Topic: reloading 20 grainers in the .17 REM  (Read 245 times)

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
reloading 20 grainers in the .17 REM
« on: August 09, 2012, 04:48:41 PM »
 I loaded some 20 grain Vmax bullets in my .17 Remington. I used h322 and IMR 4895 and Rem71/2 primers. I also loaded a few 25 grain bullets, same powder and primer. With the 25 grain loads I got one group under an inch with both powders. The other groups were NOT that good. When I shot the 20 grain Vmaxes many did NOT seem to hit the paper,let alone the target which was set at 100 yards. I'm not certain what the twist is on this rem.model 700. The book(Horn.#7) says the COL is 2.150" but I can seat them MUCH longer.In fact I dropped a bullet down the bore, followed it with a empty case  then closed the bolt with NO felt interference.! A rod dropped into the bore against the closed bolt and marked at the Muzzle, then a Vmax AND again with a 25 grain HP showed a chamber depth of 2.490" for the HP and 2.780" for the vmax. This is the distance from the bolt face to the tip of the bullet held against the rifling. The Vmax IS a good bit longer than the HP. Perhaps it is time for an even LONGER bullet like a 30 grainer. I wish I had used a larger target to catch those errant rounds.OR taken a partner to watch the bank for signs of a hit!