Author Topic: I done been stomped on by my shotgun.  (Read 2251 times)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
I done been stomped on by my shotgun.
« on: August 10, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »
I made a trade with Bikerbeans on a 12 ga barrel with screw in chokes, 3 1/2 chamber.  Naively I stopped yesterday and bought some 3 1/2 #4 super dooper knockem' down turkey loads.

Proceeding to my shooting area, I hung a paper target on a 4" tree, backed off about 30 feet and cut loose with my first shot.  About the time I pulled the trigger a 747 fell out of the sky and hit me, and at the same time the 4" tree narrowly missed my truck when it fell.

I will definately have to add some weight to this cannon.  And move farther away from my intended target.

Note to self:  don't shoot turkeys inside 15 yards.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
Re: I done been stomped on by my shotgun.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »
 :o
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 01:01:48 PM »
3" actually pattern better in mine and not quite the abuse on the shoulder.

308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:02:43 PM »
Been there done that now I have what's left box of them stompers for the weak of mind to shoot if they wish, I use 2 3/4 " loads now and the critters & targets do not seem to notice the difference. ;D
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 01:14:07 PM »
Better add a lot of weight.
Got a benelli supernova thats 8 lbs; it puts a whollup on me and I'm almost an 1/8 of a ton.
Of course at $2 a pop for 3.5", its not something I will do often.

The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 03:55:48 PM »
Only way I'll shoot anything over a target load in mine is if the intended target has fangs and claws and is willing to do me more damage than the shotgun.  I have a Limbsaver pad on mine too, didn't help enough for me to risk a dislocated shoulder and broken collar bone for less than a life threatening critter.

Offline PowPow

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 04:17:43 PM »
Dove, quail, rabbits get the 20, but sometimes you just want some heavy artillery.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »
If I need heavy artillery, it sure won't be a single shot!  Did that once: a Handi .30-06 and a BIG black bear checking me out for lunch.  At about 15 yards I put a round between his front paws, and thank goodness that he decided that he should go elsewhere.  I have never felt so naked as I did while getting another round into the chamber!  It took him a little while of sniffing the ground between his paws before he decided to skedaddle and the adrenaline was definitely pumping before he turned and ran. 

It wasn't bear season yet, and I really didn't want to go through all the hassles ADF&G puts you through if you have to kill something in defense of life and property!

-Kees-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline PowPow

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 04:42:23 PM »
WH - I can use your story to justify the extended mag kit for my supernova.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 08:52:26 PM »

Note to self:  don't shoot turkeys inside 15 yards.

Ben

Ben,

Agreed.  My one and only turkey was taken with 1 3/4 oz of plated #4 shot at about 50 feet.  Beretta A303 with a .660 extended turkey choke.  The old story about the headless horseman comes to mind. :P

BTW, if I knew that barrel would double as a chainsaw I probably would have kept it. ;D

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Jimbow4570

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 04:08:16 PM »
(beating chest) All I ever shoot at turkeys is a 2oz load of #4s in a 3.5" shell...I have never felt the recoil of a shot when shooting at a turkey.........Ever.
At the patterning board...........yeah......so, just shoot at game. ;D
"Teach a man to fish and he feeds himself for life...give a man welfare and he will go fishing while YOU go to work"

Offline grizzlyadams1874

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 04:40:44 PM »
yep those 3 1/2 12ga will rattle yur teeth! wanna try one of my 10 gauges? ;D

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 06:07:53 AM »
A 10 gauge doesnt kick like a 3 1/2 12 gauge. 
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline Jimbow4570

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 02:12:26 PM »
SURE ! ;D
I'm a recoil junkie...I love the heavy 45-70 loads I make....Slugs.....3.5 mag lead, steel, non-toxic...62 cal B.P. rifle w/ 120 grain charges....
10ga. ? Bring it......... 8)

"Teach a man to fish and he feeds himself for life...give a man welfare and he will go fishing while YOU go to work"

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 10:25:47 AM »
Ben,

Since that 3.5" 12ga I traded you don't seem to have enough power to make you happy I just got a 10 ga 3.5" Pardner with a screw in XXX Full Turkey choke if you want to try it out? ::)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 11:56:34 AM »
BB I guess I've about learned all I need to...however I got a few folks that could learn something from a shotgun that takes shells the size of beer cans.....doubt I could pull it off with SIL cause I've already got him with the 45-70 and the 12 ga..... ;D

Ben

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 04:28:12 PM »
I HAD one of those barrels. My eyes loved the pattern that it threw. My back loved the light weight of it for carrying all day. My shoulder had the final say in the matter and made me sell it on the classifieds here and replace it with a 16 gauge :)

I did kill one turkey with it before I sold it and it did a great job. The pattern with 3.5" shells was amazing at 40 yards. With the 16 I have to call them in closer but that's half the fun anyway.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 10:22:57 AM »

and that my friends is why I bought the 28 gauge. ;D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 02:43:54 AM »
My first H&R was an H&R Topper in 12 gauge with a 2 3/4" chamber.  Used to always shoot low brass Revelation 3 - 1 - 6 and that was because they don't make a 2 3/4 - 7/8 - 6.  They next one I got was a Pardner 12 gauge with a 3" chamber.  They could have saved that extra milling.  There is something about 5 Lb 6 oz shotguns and 3 or 3.5 inch chambers I find very disturbing.  I want the muzzle to be the most dangerous end of my shotgun.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 02:52:43 AM »
My 12 guage days are over, looks like.  Surgery next week to repair some vertebrae, and the Dr. said no more heavy recoil.  I told him I had a 20, he recommends a 410.

Ben

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 02:36:40 AM »
  I told him I had a 20, he recommends a 410.

If you reload, 410 size loads (1/2 - 9/16 oz) will pattern better in your 20 then in a .410.  Has to do with the shorter shot column.  You can do it in a 12 ga also.  There has been several articles written about light loads in 12 and 20.  My favorite is a 28 ga load of 3/4 oz in a 12 ga.  Done right they pattern great and recoil is super mild.  These are done to average about 1100 fps and use smaller gauge wads to fill up space behind the shot in the shot cup.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 03:08:48 AM »
I've got some Aquilla low recoil shells I bought a while back for the kids to shoot.  Actually I think they were made so that you could load more of them in a magazine, (they are shorter).  After I recuperate, I will have to experiment a bit.

Ben

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 11:29:58 AM »
I have an old neck injury and the under 6# 20ga.'s with under 1oz. loads are delightful, but I have had some healing. Im inclined to think you need  to use no more than a 28ga. for a while, if you 'must' shoot a shotgun.
Regarding your turkey loads.........I suspect the 'turkey' they are referring to are the people they sucker into buying them  ;) (bought some once myself.....).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Wagguy80

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 01:56:13 PM »
I love the super shoulder stomper loads.  Makes you wonder how the pilgrims killed them with their blunderbuss' lol ;)

I have a old old old 16 gauge full choke I like to use.  Doesn't really matter what you put in it.  No8 will cut 3" limbs off tree's at 10 yards.  A Turkeys head has little chance especially with that pattern.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 02:23:08 PM »
They would make my day if they would allow rimfire for turkey. 

Ben

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 03:47:49 AM »
I agree, my 22M would be the bee's knees where we hunt, but the WI DNR, in their infinite wisdom, do not allow turkey taken with anything other than shotgun (and, IIRC, they limit the shot size to stompin' loads too  :-\ ; then its a 3 or 4 day license, pick your preference within the season, then list your two alternates......etc.,etc.,etc. Regulated beyond belief)
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 11:28:28 PM »
i used to have the old marlin goose gun would shoot the 3'' mags that was enough for me.you guy 's might get a kick out of you tube where they shoot a 50 caliber machine gun round out of a single shot shot gun. and some of there crazy shot gun shell loads. ;D

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 04:44:12 AM »
FWIW on your recovery; with me, I could go to a point in an activity, but if I started to feel that kinda 'off' sensation in my neck it was time to stop it. It was one of those things you sometimes feel when you sneeze hard with your neck turned a bit to the side (sure try not to do that anymore either!)........it could take a day or two to get back to right.
Pay attention to the signs, watch yer backtrail and mind yer hair; all still good advice.
Hope you are doing well!
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 04:52:27 AM »
I had one of those myself!! ;)

Mine was all 3 1/2" but mounted in walnut WITH the steel but plate!! I have a good friend that is a little "tight" and borrows a turkey gun from me every year. A couple years back I lent him the H&R and some 3 1/2" #5 it had patterned well with. ( He also forgets until night B4 the season so he needed shells too. ::)

Well he got his turkey... And a right nice bruse and welt on his cheek too!  My skeem worked,  he now owns a Mossbergs 9200 soft shootig auto!! LOL

I don't shoot my H&R shot guns too much. Sans the 410, that one is just too much fun not to shoot!!

Have fun!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.