Author Topic: Next Caliber: your thoughts?  (Read 826 times)

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
Next Caliber: your thoughts?
« on: August 12, 2012, 09:37:18 AM »
I have to say that I grow tired of my 30-06 Handi. I know you recoil junkies will shout "Pshaaw"! but in a rifle that light, I just find the kick unenjoyable. So, thinking about replacing it with a factory available caliber that can still throw out 150gr bullets, but with less recoil.

I know that Handi 30-30 owners love their rifles. I'm a 30-30 fan but have always had it in lever gun format. I would like to hear from 30-30 owners to what extent it can be loaded up for the Handi and ballistic performance with spire tip .308 bullets.

I have always been interested in 7mm08 but frankly don't see difference enough with 6.5x55, which I am blindly enamored of, to go this route.

Now I don't hear much of anything from Handi owners of the 280 Rem. Is it just not very popular, or is it a troublesome caliber in the Handi?  How does recoil compare to 30-06 loads, let's say 150gr Core-lokt for each? What are Handi throats like for .280, as I understand that SAAMI chamber specs tend to be a little tight for 150 - 170 gr loads and I know that Handi's have had tight throats in other calibers?

I'm not very interested in .270, for no good reason I must say but I welcome any and alll constructive advice.
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Next Caliber: your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 09:45:13 AM »
Of all you mentioned, I would say 7-08.............................260 if they were available.......

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 09:53:54 AM »

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 10:07:36 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline RPRNY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 12:47:36 PM »
I have to admit that I have not gone to youth reduced load level in the 30-06, so I appreciate the link above. I see there's even Trail Boss data for 30-06!

Tim - thanks for the links on previous discussions of 30-30 spire tip bullets. That was very helpful. Given that published data for, say Leverevolution powder, maxes out around 38,000 CUP, obviously to remain within safe pressures for older lever guns, does anyone have a theoretical proposal on how much higher one could take the LVR loads in a Handi before getting diminishing returns or case threatening overpressure?

Any .280 owners out there ? 

I do like the looks of 7mm08, but mainly because it looks a lot like 6.5x55, which I have and love and feel no need to double up on.
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 12:59:11 PM »
I've loaded my 30-30AI to an estimated 60kpsi(52kcup), 125gr @ 2875fps in 375 Win brass with no problems, 375 Win Big Bore owners routinely use 30-30 and 38-55 brass for their 375 Win loads for a little extra case capacity, but being in a straight walled configuration compared to the bottlenecked 30-30, it may reduce case life somewhat at higher pressures in the 30-30. Can't say what LVR powder would do at higher pressures, it's not listed in Quickload, so you'd be working in untested waters.

Tim

Offline RPRNY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »
Tim,

Thanks very much for your remarks. It seems that the venerable 30-30 really can perform beyond popular impression in the the Handi "platform"  ;) . I will have to do some more research on .280 before I pull the trigger but I am definitely leaning towards 30-30 based on the views and experiences of our GBO colleagues. Once again, GBO, and specifically our H&R community, has turned up some thought provoking and boundary-breaking information.

Offline watkibe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 06:23:28 PM »
...does anyone have a theoretical proposal on how much higher one could take the LVR loads in a Handi before getting diminishing returns or case threatening overpressure?

RPRNY: I heard Steve Hornady hedge a little on TV about the Leverevolution and Superperformance powders. Each cartridge they load with these powders gets a custom optimized version of the propellant. The stuff we can buy is overall similar to what Hornady loads, but not exactly the same.
So probably be cautious with exceeding LVR published loads. I think.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 06:36:50 PM »
I use mid-range loads of 748 and 125 gr PSP's in my 30/30 , low recoil, very accurate, very effective on deer. As for the 280, I have not had time enough to work it up. I have got groups that stayed between 3 & 4 inches at 200yards, and some that went down to 1.5", but that may have been a fluke, I dont know yet. That was with 150 gr CorLok Rem's and 49.5 gr of H414. That should be about 2700+fps per my calculations. I do think the recoil is less than 30-06's I have shot, but that is subjective. There is not a thing wrong with the 280, if I can get just a little better accuracy. If I can get it to stay @ 3" or less at the 200 yard mark I will call it good. I am fireforming the cases out of 270's which are plentiful and cheap. The freebore on the chamber is huge as I can barely seat the 150 gr spirepoints out far enought to contact the lands with a reasonable hold in the neck. A 175 does. The good news is that anything big enough to use a 7mm on is not a small target. The chances that I will ever get to hunt out west again are slim and dwindling, so it is largely a moot point. If I do though, the 280 is the second barrel with a 444 on one frame, and that would be a very hard combo to beat.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline wvrealtor

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 07:19:15 PM »
303 British.  :)

Later,
  Stephen

Offline RPRNY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »
Thanks for the further info on 30-30 and the qualifier on LVR. Twoshooter, I appreciate the info on. 280 It sounds like. 280 may be in that niche I am trying to find and that it may be at the bounds of my marksmanship anyway.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »
If you really want to get a new barrel for your current gun, why not send it back and have a 7.62x39 fitted to it.  You can still shoot the 150 gr. 30 cal. bullets, but Gendoc can tell you more about what works good for the little Russian round.

Offline S8Raz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »
Fwiw, along the line of reduced loads: called Hodgdon last week about running 30-30 170s in my '06 at the recommended 2300fps max.  They recommended 40.3-40.4gr of H4895 for 24" barrel.  Up to 41gr for a 21" barrel like I have on my old P17.  Haven't gotten around to ordering the recommended 165gr spire points which are better suited to the higher velocities, so this would work for what I have on the shelf.  I'll run this through the P17 in a couple weeks (cruddy weather) and my Handi when it comes back from Brian.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 03:32:50 PM »
The 308.  Good range, good bullet selection, lot less recoil than the 06
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline RPRNY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 04:35:22 PM »
Ol BW - is 7.62x39 a barrel accessory option?  It isn't listed on the website and I wasn't aware that was an option?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 04:25:04 AM »
Ol BW - is 7.62x39 a barrel accessory option?  It isn't listed on the website and I wasn't aware that was an option?

See the "New accessory barrels available" sticky.

Tim