Author Topic: New handi-holic  (Read 526 times)

Offline jaysouth

• Trade Count: (3)
New handi-holic
« on: August 12, 2012, 01:23:16 PM »
My name is jim and I'm a recent handi-holic.  This appears to be an addiction for which no cure is necessary other than adequate space in the safe.
I came home from a gun show today with two handis.
NEF Handi rifle in .223, had wood stock mounted and the Choate that came on it in a bag.  Quick question, why would you buy a wood stock when the gun came with the Choate.  I got the gun, both stocks and a "premium" tasco scope for $200.

H&R Topper in .30-30 with 20 ga barrel.  The rifle barrel has been bobbed to 17 inches with a scope rail installed.  Another $200.  How does the topper compare to a Handi rifle?  Also got a "premium" tasco scope on this one.
These two will go nicely with my 357 Handi Rifle that I bought last year.

I see more in my future. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: New handi-holic
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 01:56:38 PM »
My name is jim and I'm a recent handi-holic.  This appears to be an addiction for which no cure is necessary other than adequate space in the safe.
I came home from a gun show today with two handis.
NEF Handi rifle in .223, had wood stock mounted and the Choate that came on it in a bag.  Quick question, why would you buy a wood stock when the gun came with the Choate.  I got the gun, both stocks and a "premium" tasco scope for $200.

H&R Topper in .30-30 with 20 ga barrel.  The rifle barrel has been bobbed to 17 inches with a scope rail installed.  Another $200.  How does the topper compare to a Handi rifle?  Also got a "premium" tasco scope on this one.
These two will go nicely with my 357 Handi Rifle that I bought last year.

I see more in my future.

WELCOME Jim!!

Simple answer, some people simply prefer wood...  I see a use for both.

Topper is simply the name used on earlier models (Most of these with cast frames) and most of those where shotguns. (IIRC, Rifles had a 158 or 258 numerical designtion, following the bold lettered, TOPPER name.)

Good deal on both handis!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 02:01:01 PM »
You got a great deal on both.  That slim contour Topper .30-30 barrel is much sought after.  I can never seem to find one :(   Good luck and welcome.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 11:52:30 PM »
Welcome, It sounds like you have better gun shows to go to. I think you found some great deals ;)  You came to the right place for HELP for your new problem ;D

Offline jaysouth

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »
Actually, the gun shows were in mid TN are pretty bad.  The blind hog just got lucky and found two acorns in the same day.
Anybody know what size the hex head of the tang screw(stock bolt) is.  I am tinkering already, a dangerous thing for me sometimes.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »
Prolly find it in the FAQs at the top of the page ;)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 11:43:46 PM »
Actually, the gun shows were in mid TN are pretty bad.  The blind hog just got lucky and found two acorns in the same day.
Anybody know what size the hex head of the tang screw(stock bolt) is.  I am tinkering already, a dangerous thing for me sometimes.

Its a 9/16 socket.. BUT early guns also used a large reg screw driver. If you have that BE CAREFUL!! Slipping off can push the screw driver thew the side of the stock!!
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.