Author Topic: List of Cities That Disbanded Police Depts.  (Read 573 times)

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
List of Cities That Disbanded Police Depts.
« on: August 12, 2012, 04:54:37 PM »
Liberals always say you don't need a gun because it's the job of the police to protect you.  Of course this is a lie, but the new trend is for an increasing number of bankrupt cities to disband  their police forces  because they can no longer pay for them.

In many cases the county takes over law enforcement, but counties  have limited resources too. Orange County filed bankruptcy in 1993 I believe. 

Check out this link.  Is your city one of them? 

http://247wallst.com/2011/12/13/cities-that-have-fired-their-police-forces/2/

Offline briarpatch

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: List of Cities That Disbanded Police Depts.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:39:53 AM »
The reason they disband the police first is to scare the old and stupid. That way they vote to give the city crooks what they want.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 05:47:32 AM »
I don't think these communities go without a police force. The name is changed the dispatch point may be changed, but...

From what I have seen, and admittedly, it ain't much. Dropping a police force has huge financial benefits to some communities. Think about all the savings.
Re-negotiate every contract, and start from scratch, too. Hourly rate, med coverage, all of it is now up for grabs.
Remove all seniority from the payscale, again all new hires.
Everyone starts with a year without vacation pay, then next year one possibly two weeks.
No more public pension, fund a 401k, at whatever level is chosen.
Quite possibly the union will be eliminated too if that is an issue.
The County Sherriffs office goes from twenty-five deputies who largly hande court work and rural enforcement to 400 deputies who are now patroling city streets. Likely they occupy the same jail and facilities the old city force did (leased from the city?), hell many of the same officers too. As new hires they don't have the bennies they once had ( and that certainly sucks ), but the Sherriff is at fault not you the city manager, your hands are clean of that problem.
The savings add up pretty fast. If you are tasked by the community with staying within budget the appeal is obvious. Write a monthly check to the county for policing of the community and you are done. No future liabilities no administrative cost in either time or money or headaches.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 11:58:54 AM »
Well in a utopian dream society we would have no need for LEO's. But we live in the real world so we need em.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »
The reason they disband the police first is to scare the old and stupid. That way they vote to give the city crooks what they want.
you might be live that but its the old that you talk about that will hurt you. now there are some people stupid enough to think that if you ban guns  a police force is not needed

Offline clum sum

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 12:43:48 PM »
I could never see a reason for a city PD when you pay for a county SD. Where I live you pay the same rate for county taxes no matter if you live in a city or not.
A man's hand shake is his bond.
                     Joe R. Risley Jr.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 12:53:34 PM »
The next town to the north of me has no PD, they manage just fine with county and state taking their calls.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 01:05:40 PM »
The next town to the north of me has no PD, they manage just fine with county and state taking their calls.

They do just fine because you're in New Hampshire instead of Southern California or other third world locations.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 01:29:40 PM »
 ;) What good are most forces anyway...a neighbor called about a dog problem, the cops never did come to take care of it..We have a coyote that some bum kept in his dog pen for a year then it got loose.. It has been running the streets for a year...The cops can't seem to do anything about it...These calls are their job...A friend told me today, they caught some guy trying to peek into his daughters bedroom window, called the cops and they never came..he stayed up for over two hours...When I called several years ago about a camper illegal parked on our street, I was told the cop would come up after 8:00..I suppose after donuts and coffee...He never did show either...Our town could save a ton of money, be just as safe if we let the county officers handle the few problems we have...

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 02:36:44 PM »

They do just fine because you're in New Hampshire instead of Southern California or other third world locations.

'tis true, most of eastern Mass would be in deep doo doo if they didn't have huge PD's.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 03:08:42 PM »
The main result of cut police forces is that they will deal with real crime, not your neighbors dog peeing on your roses, or measuring your grass to see if you need to cut it, or jumping on the guy across the street who is changing his own oil in the driveway. People might have to get used to minding their own business again, and to live and let live.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 04:19:07 PM »
In my county they have been known to tell victims of petty crime to file a report on line.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 05:20:02 PM »
I have never needed to call the police over a petty thing. Barking dogs quiet right up with the right medicine.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.