Author Topic: hand polishing shotgun barrel for rebluing ?  (Read 870 times)

Offline SJB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
hand polishing shotgun barrel for rebluing ?
« on: August 14, 2012, 12:23:57 PM »
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on hand polishing barrels and then sending them out for professional rebluing ? I don't have a lathe or buffer machine so this would all be done by hand using various grades of abrasive paper from 120 to 220 and finally 400 with barrel mounted in a vise.I have a 21" 20ga. barrel that needs rebluing but I can't afford (justify) spending $85 to &100 plus shipping to have it done.  Most refinish places offer a much reduced rate on bluing pre-polished parts . Barrel is from a Beretta folding shotgun that I cut down so that when it folds up the muzzle is even with the buttstock, plus I had it drilled and tapped for Williams firesights. Stock and receiver are in excellent shape but barrel not so much.Plus I have a Tracker 11 that I have cut to 20" and would rather a mirror polish than the factory matte finish.My only knowledge on doing this comes from a 2min. video by Midway on YouTube. Any thoughts or cautions on trying this? Thanks.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: hand polishing shotgun barrel for rebluing ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 01:06:05 PM »
H&R charges $20 plus shipping for refinishing a barrel to a better than factory finish, $30 for frames, pretty hard to beat that.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline SJB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 02:48:30 PM »
wow! those prices are unbeatable. thanks

Offline theratdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 11:54:03 PM »
i use some fine emery. clamp barrel in vise use carb cleaner to degrease .heat the barrel up to hot to touch use burchwood casey's bluing .i have done a lot of rifles this way including parts.works real good. ;)

Offline microbc

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 06:32:24 AM »
Hi quickdtoo,
I called H&R today and was told the cost of bluing an H&R barrel was around $120.00.
How would one go about getting the pricing you mentioned?
I have a 12GA Topper built in 1985 that I would love to have re-blued.
Thanks,
Art

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 03:53:52 AM »
Call and ask for Lisa Walters, she's the best H&R rep to talk to, the $120 is prolly for a Remington or Marlin  firearm.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 08:03:44 AM »
i use some fine emery. clamp barrel in vise use carb cleaner to degrease .heat the barrel up to hot to touch use burchwood casey's bluing .i have done a lot of rifles this way including parts.works real good. ;)

I too have done a couple muzzle loader and old lever barrels with "Plumbrown". Works very well and looks like a nice change on a older firearm. But it's brown not blue.

The polish MAKES the bluing. Spend time on polishing the nicer you do the better the bluing job will come out!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 02:48:39 PM »
I normally start with 220 then go to 400.  Only start with as coarse of grit as it takes to remove the blemishes.  I did one recently that took 60 grit.    You can rust blue it at home with very little in the cost of set up.  I just got finished rust bluing a muzzle loader and a shotgun.