Author Topic: Trail gun choice  (Read 7541 times)

Offline azmark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Trail gun choice
« on: August 14, 2012, 05:07:52 PM »
If you owned a snub nosed 38 and a Single Six convertible, which would you take hiking?
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Trail gun choice
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 06:01:56 PM »
What is your reason for taking a handgun?

If protection from two legged predators then the .38 or something more potent. If for snake protection or plinking as you go then the Ruger Single Six.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 06:25:12 PM »
I prefer my 5 shot .38 with ( I think) a 3"barrel.  I can shoot low-power reloads for plinking and small game and +P loads if things take a more serious turn. I like the single-six a lot, but my Model 60 is just more comfortable to carry.

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Avid Poster
  • Biggest Golf Ball Cannon I Ever Owned.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 10:44:07 PM »
I've been looking at this one myself and think it'd be the perfect trail gun.  http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/77795/Ruger+SP101+22LR+4.2%22+SS+8Rd+Fiber+Optic+Sight  Fiber optic sights, eight shots, double/single action, 4.2" half lugged barrel, stainless steel, light weight, and best of all, it's a Ruger.  If you could live with single action only, then the single ten would give you two more rounds and be just as good.  http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/77287  Or for a real lightweight tackle box type of gun Ruger also has the LCR 22  http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/79209  I think that any of the three and you can't go wrong.  Smithy.
Salvation is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and in Him alone.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 02:51:44 AM »
Yep, your reason to pack one along should have been stated for any suggestion that has merit.   

Sans that I can only state my take on these two choices, which of them I'd pick and why.   

IMO neither are really up to the task of decisive self protection in today's drug/alcohol supercharged world against men, nor for protection against anything you "think" might want to eat you.   Being trail wise goes a long ways in keeping you out of trouble with both.   What you need protection from is your own fears more than what you might encounter, and that comes from experience on the trail.   

I won't bore you with too many details of my long experience hiking the back country alone for decades, the later years with my wife and son in tow.   I never felt the need for protection against problematic men on the trail, rarely ever came up, and the few that did they were diffused without a firearm involved.    I packed 45 Colts and 44MAGS for "protection" from grizzlies for years when my wife and son were in tow, and they turned out to be just heavy excess baggage.   Even they wouldn't have stopped a determine grizzly in an in your face encounter anyway.   But I never had to use them despite many, many close encounters with grizzlies over the years, more than my share up close and personal, some with my family so at risk that I got between them and the bear to give them a better chance.   But having learned to understand them and their ways from my kid days growing up in that area of the country, they always accepted being reasoned with to diffuse the situation, let my family back out of it and then me shortly after.   Those were the years before I was sold on pepper spray as the best "last resort" choice for protection.  Sure would have been a lot easier to carry in those tall mountains, AND more effective.

A stick or hiking staff is good enough to deter snakes, or just side stepping them.   You're a visitor on their turf, they don't need to be killed, same as the bears.   

Makes the snubbie the least desireable to me, the Single Six the better choice for harvesting cook pot fodder or to plink with if wanted.  But only you know why you feel the need to pack, what will give you the confidence to get the most enjoyment from your time in the outdoors.   And that will make it the right choice for you.

My opinions and what worked for me and my family, YMMV.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 05:21:19 AM »
You have to honestly determine if the gun is for entertainment, as in picking off an occasional grouse or bunny. Or, is it for protecting life and limb, coming across a meth lab in the woods for example. I'm pretty well sold on pepper spray being the cure for bear mischief. I could see a .22 and a can of bear spray as being a decent combo to carry, if your local should warrant it.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 02:01:31 PM »
i never hike  or do anything without my 357 snubby

some times i take the 22 single six TOO....like i did yesterday
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 04:26:41 AM »
I'd take the .38. 
Ladobe said he's never encountered a problem with a human on the trail where a firearm was needed.  Does that mean he never will? 
I don't even own a .22LR, not even in a rifle.  I have no use for one.  Whatever they can do for you, a larger caliber will also do, but a .22 is extremely limited.  It's well known that a .22 is good for plinking and small game and target matches; and they are cheap to shoot.  But for me, a .38 will plink, and I shoot small game with bigger guns, and I don't go to .22 competition games.  That's just me. 
I realize you didn't offer another option in your request for advice, but I'd only take a snub .38 over the .22 if I didn't have anything else.  I think a good trail gun is a 4" .38Spl.  That would serve both for protection and trail game.  There are many (probably most) would advise goint to .357M if you carry a 4", so you can shoot both .38's and .357's, but that would require a sight adjustment everytime you want to change from one to the other.  A .38 will serve you well.     

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 04:34:54 AM »
A single six has been with me for many years as my go everywhere, do everything gun. In the last few years I started leaving it at home in favor of my 4 5/8" 45 LC Vaquero. With the possibility of running into varmits of the two legged kind or some of the big wild hogs in this area I feel much more comfortable with it. My single six pretty much stays at home now until my wife and grandkids want to have a shooting day at the range. If you're accurate with the 38 then I'd go with the larger caliber or at least see how the Ruger shoots with the magnum cylinder if you have one.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 04:55:44 AM »
A 38 in a pocket is mighty comforting to me .  ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 05:07:37 AM »
Take the one you feel most comfortable with.  I like a bigger hole in whatever I shoot. But don't think a .22 can't get the job done either.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline flintlock

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 07:16:05 AM »
If that's what I had, I'd take both...

The .38 is small and conceals easily, good for 2 legged critters...
The .22 for snakes...

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 10:30:16 AM »
I don't think snakes need to be killed.  I hate a dern snake, and I've been bitten by a rattler.  Not fun.  But shooting him would not have prevented the strike.  My opinion is that if you have time to aim a gun at a snake, you are not in danger.  You can step back, or you can walk around.  It's like A holes on the highway.  You can be angered by their actions, but you need not get into an encounter.  You can simply go around them.  You cannot eliminate them.  They will always be there.  The one you take out will not lessen the probability that you will encounter another. 
When we talk about a trail gun, we are talking about a gun to handle what might come up.  We're not talking about hunting.  For whatever use we may have need for a gun on the trail, bigger is better.  Actually, in most incidents involving the use of a firearm, bigger is better.  .22's are for squirrels and rabbits, and that's about it.  If a hiker's intent is to supplement his diet with fresh small game meat, then the .22 will serve him well, but for general use in the woods, I'd not want to depend on a .22. 
Some handguns will handle whatever comes up, some won't.  A .22 won't.  If you want to shoot a squirrel for lunch with a .44 or .45, you can do that.  Ain't much meat on the front end.  Then, back on the trail, you're ready for any encounter with the same gun.   

Offline 5kwkdw3

• Avid Poster
  • Biggest Golf Ball Cannon I Ever Owned.
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 10:58:08 PM »
Some handguns will handle whatever comes up, some won't.  A .22 won't.  If you want to shoot a squirrel for lunch with a .44 or .45, you can do that.  Ain't much meat on the front end.  Then, back on the trail, you're ready for any encounter with the same gun.   

I remember jump hunting rabbit and unloading a hot shell with 1 1/4 oz. of #6 shot at around 10 to 15 feet.  The same cook could probably prepare both.  Smithy.
Salvation is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and in Him alone.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »
I have both a snub .38, and a single six.  I carry each equally depending on where I am going (my property, or someone else's), my reason for going armed (hunting, plinking, personal protection) and the time of year.  During the winter if I am expecting two legged trouble, the .38 (or a larger caliber) goes along.  In summer if I want the comfort of being armed the single six w/.22 LR cylinder.  If summer and there might be a remote possible chance of a dog attack, or two legged assailant, the .22 Mag backed by a derringer (loaded with Win PDX .410 shells)

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 07:26:14 AM »
It's nice to live where we can have a choice of which gun to tote along. 

Offline grizzlyadams1874

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 04:32:48 PM »
i would go with the 38 just because i'm a fan of knocking down what i hit. my choice is a ruger sp101 with some stout 158 gr xtp handloads. also some extra lead swc loads with a light charge for the chance i might need to pot small game.if i'm on any more than a quick hike locally, it's a ruger blackhawk or super blackhawk in 41 or 44 mag

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 03:29:50 AM »
"

I remember jump hunting rabbit and unloading a hot shell with 1 1/4 oz. of #6 shot at around 10 to 15 feet.  The same cook could probably prepare both.  Smithy.
"             What handgun are you using that shoots a 1 1/4 oz.of #6's ?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 04:57:04 AM »
Neither one.  The 22 isn't capable of both requirements, and if you think you will have time to switch ammo in hte middle of a nasty situation you are absolutely wrong, and may be dead as a result. 
If you want a trail gun, then buy one.  A snubnose 38 is not a trail gun or a plinker unless it is complete with adjustable sights and even then, plinking and defense are often mutally exclusive where ammo is involved.  Unless you are skilled enough to group all 5 of your 38s into a 3-4" group at 25m, don't bother.
I think a perfect trail gun would be something like a Taurus PT1911 in 38 Super, or some other 1911 in either 38 Super or 9x23.  If you want to plink you can purchase inexpensive ball ammo, usually made in South America where the 38 Super is hugely popular and use that for multiple purposes as it is a very effecteive round.  A spare magazine with someone's personal defense ammo is a much quicker reload than a 5 shot snubby.  A Single Six is for plinking and the like; a snub nose 38 is for belly gun range unless you can hit at distance with it.  A good quality semi-auto in a effective caliber is a much better trail gun, imo.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 07:43:12 AM »
WHAT  IS A TRAIL GUN??

if hiking i would think as small as possible yet capable of 
defending you against a reasonably expected threat
and a signalling device.....3 shots is the international distress call
in this case don't go anywhere with out it

if you are going plinking
then bring the gun described above  PLUS your plinker/or what ever

but  what is a trailgun??
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 10:53:05 AM »
WHAT  IS A TRAIL GUN??

if hiking i would think as small as possible yet capable of 
defending you against a reasonably expected threat
and a signalling device.....3 shots is the international distress call
in this case don't go anywhere with out it

if you are going plinking
then bring the gun described above  PLUS your plinker/or what ever

but  what is a trailgun??
I would say a trail gun is a concept rather than an actual thing.

I would say it is the gun you would want to have with you on "the trail". The old trail of the 19th century primarily. The gun you could afford, that would be useful for hunting, as well as personel protection. Keep in mind most people could scarce afford a gun for every ocassion. You would want something reliable, easy to maintain, easily repaired by the local tinkerer or yourself. If you were lucky enough to own a rifle a pistol similarly chambered would certainly be a bonus.

The OP had a budget of what he currently owns. Hell at least he has a choice here boys. Why not choose from the available options? Were purchase of a new gun a choice I would be quick to recommend a Glock 20. It has hunting, protection, easy and reliable in spades, it's not prohibatively expensive either.

I still believe the .22 is a fine choice, for me, in the world I travel. My trails normally involve woods and fields, much of the time I am carrying a long gun as well. Ocassionally I find myself on a urban trail at which time that .38 would be much more useful.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 02:11:44 PM »
ive been banging about the woods for 30+ yrs with a single six, and i still feel that it works for me.
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline popplecop

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »
My favorite trail gun is a Ruger Single Six with a 4&5/8ths barrel in 32 H&R Magnum.  Covers the bases for me, ammo anything from SWCs to jacketed HPs.  Besides have 2 big handgun weaknesses, 1911s and Single Action Rugers.
Life Member: VFW, NRA & Wisconsin Conservation Wardens Assoc.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 03:26:44 PM »
I gotta get in here again. 
A .22LR is for . . . okay, I ain't sure what it's for.  The "trail gun" concept is sort of a misnomer in that a trail involves following a particular path, already trod many times over by those who went before us.  What might one find on a trail to shoot at?  The first thing that comes to my mind is another person who needs shot at.  A .22 don't fit that situation so very well.  What else?  A squirrel?  Yes, you might see a squirrel.  But are you on a "trail" looking for squirrels?  Do you hope to bag your limit of squirrels on a trail?  Or rabbits?  I don't think so.  I think we need to ask what are we doing on a trail to start with?
I suppose a .22LR is good for kids and for squirrels and rabbits if one is determined to go hunting for specifially those two animals.  What else might one expect to do with a .22LR?  Not much, other than target fun, which I don't think relates to trail traveling.  If a Single Six has served you well over lo these many years, what the heck did it serve you as?  That's what I don't get.  What did you shoot at?  I hope I never tote a firearm anywhere that won't take care of what comes up either on or off a trail.
I reckon if one lived in an urban area and traversed the well used trails of his neighbors, a .22 would let him shoot more than would a louder and more powerful centerfire.  But to what end?  Holes in a beer can?  Making splashes in the creek?  To me, a .22LR limitations negates it's usefulness "on the trail" or anywhere else except for very specific small game hunting. 

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 03:44:46 PM »
Snubby titanium 41 mag ported with heavy hard cast 250 grainers. Loud as all heck, but will do the job on just about anything unfriendly out there, including bear. Its an ear drum killer in this plateform but easy to carry. Not much fun to shoot. Must have hearing protection.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline keith44

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 08:18:42 PM »
a 4 inch barrel is what I consider minimum with a 41 Magnum.  Especially with a healthy dose of 2400 pushing 210 grain cast SWC's  ;)
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 01:12:18 AM »
If we can offer something other than what the op posted then get a Glock 20 , big bullets , powerful, light for fire power and weather proof. Perfect trail gun !  ;)  And cheap compared to other guns of equal power .  ;D Whats not to like ?

Offline flintlock

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 07:50:02 AM »
Plenty of folks (and deer) have been killed with the lowly .22 rimfire....

I often take my Mark II with me when out scouting for deer, just to have something with me and I have several times killed a limit of squirrels with it during the season...

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 07:59:07 AM »
I would guess more have been killed with some type 22 in other than war around the world . BUT and its a big but ! A 22 lr is not a stopping round . It might do so from time to time but not often. When away from help and you need to stop an attack a 22 might not be the best choice. Just saying .................

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »
I usualy carry some sort of .22 (single six, mark 3, beretta bobcat) I have carried a 1911, XDM in .40 and a GP100. They all did their job fine. No offence but I don't know if I can trust some one that doesn't own a .22
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon