Author Topic: New Years Cannon 2 1/8 bore  (Read 2625 times)

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
New Years Cannon 2 1/8 bore
« on: August 15, 2012, 05:02:15 PM »
The 40 mm breach loader went together so well it gave me more ideas to try . I want to try a barrel set up like the British 10 lb screw gun, so it can be broken down from a 260 lb barrel into  120 lb,  78lb ,and  64 lb sections. Also the pawn stars had a signal cannon on a while back that had the case attach to the breach screw . It was installed and ejected with the breech screw ( no breech ring to mess with ). Hope to finish it by New years eve .

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: New Years Cannon 2 1/8 bore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »
You're going to use a trunnion ring?  How about O-rings between the sections?  I assume you will take it apart after each firing session and clean the joints.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 05:57:24 PM »
Moose 53, well your at it again. Please post pics as I can't wait until they start coming. Copper gaskets between mating surfaces. And the really big question. How are you going to insure that all the sections line up and that the bore is straight through?. Assemble all together and then bore it out?. This looks to be even better than your last build. Frank

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
It will be a good opportunity to see how well the sections seal by themselves ,copper gaskets can be added if needed . The barrel will be finish reamed when assembled to line everything up. Trunnion ring will probably make the most sense so I can avoid welding to the barrel. And yes it can be taken apart for cleaning .

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 02:10:09 AM »
Smooth bore I take it?  Looks like a good project moose.  I built a few 50 & 75 caliber mug guns [breechloaders]  and I made a flat 90 degree mating surface between the mug and the barrel.   If I recall correctly, after test firing, there was very little powder residue between the seam.  These were seam tightened together with a wedge pin retainer.  If you're threading tubes together at the seams, My thought is I doubt you will need the copper gasket. Dom

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »
I'm lookin' forward to be lookin' at a new 'moose53' build! ;D 
Are you talking about two separate cannon builds, or just incorporating the breech design of the GAR salute gun on the screw gun project?

This is the large salute gun that Moose mentioned (I think).

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 04:16:03 PM »
Yes that looks like the one I saw on pawn stars, thanks for the video. One cannon build to try out several more ideas. Cut the breech screw blank out this afternoon. 

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 06:48:35 PM »
Finished the breech screw threads this evening . Pitch is 2 threads /in- double lead.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 08:50:01 PM »
So it advances 1" per turn?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 08:44:07 AM »
Have To check but may not have said that right   ::)   It advances 1" per two turns.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 04:52:32 PM »
The size of the shafting for my next project is bigger so I had to make a heavy haul off feed cart for getting the shafting from outside to the band saw . The shaft in the photo is the 4in front section of my cannon , it will make two barrels.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 05:17:12 AM »
Finished the breech screw threads this evening . Pitch is 2 threads /in- double lead.

With the speed of this pitch are you planning on a locking pin to keep it from moving during firing?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 06:06:18 AM »
The beauty of the Whitworth slap handle is that the breach can be impact tightened and loosed . There is no slop in the threads when fired, no other lock pin is needed.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 07:30:15 AM »
Moose,
What is that shaft from?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »
I think its from a big fork lift ( log unloader ) from Weyerhaeuser , my brother got it for me when he was working there.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 02:30:56 PM »
Finished the front barrel section taper today , the tracer setup works very well . Front barrel section is also drilled and reamed.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 04:30:31 PM »
Finished the front section today . Found out after truing my three jaw chuck I can locate the OD of the barrel plus or minus .001 from the bore, so I won't have to finish bore it while it's screwed together. Changed the plans a little , its about 27in long and now has a muzzle bell. Threads are fine , photo messed up when transferred to GBO

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 05:03:20 PM »
Looks like this is going to be a great build. Frank

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 04:34:20 AM »
Very nice quality machining, I like the muzzel swell. Now this is going to be 47.5 inches long or there abouts when done, barrel, chamber, breech ring........
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 11:18:26 AM »
Thank you , yes finishing the front section was fun, it is starting to look like a cannon now .Was able to make the front section 28-1/2 inches long , and I found a 6 in Dia shaft 15-1/2 inches long that will work better for the middle section. So total barrel length now without breech screw is 50 inches.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 03:12:41 PM »
The middle section is ready for drilling , here is my drilling setup . Pilot drill is 9/16 inch welded in a 3/4 inch shaft , next step drill is 1- 3/4 inch , then 2-1/16 inch drill , then 2-1/8 inch reamer . The 2-1/16 inch drill and 2-1/8 inch reamer are threaded into the extension shaft when needed. I use a longer shaft for through reaming long bores.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »
moose,
I envy your talent and equipment.  I just wish I had the opportunity to try what you are doing.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »
Thank you Zulu , but I have to say your work isn't second fiddle to anything I have seen. And yes I enjoy your build posts also      8)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 09:23:25 AM »
Things are starting to take shape nicely, Moose; excellent!

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 05:26:48 PM »
The middle section is threaded one end now , was able to see what the two barrel sections will look like together .

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 05:28:24 PM »
The middle section is pretty much shaped now .

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 05:13:03 PM »
Hooked up the breech section today , still need a little fine tuning but almost there. Barrel is starting to get heavy when it's all together.

Offline Joey V.

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 03:08:19 AM »
Wow now that's a lathe!!!
Your work is amazing how do you have the time! Keep the pics coming pls.
Joe

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 04:29:37 AM »
Thank you .Fortunately cannons are part of my regular work .

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 06:40:52 AM »
Moose,
It's looking good, just need to add the trunnion band and screw in the breech and it'll be ready for smoke and fire!