Author Topic: price on winchester lever action 44 mag?  (Read 1935 times)

Offline mrcooper

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
price on winchester lever action 44 mag?
« on: August 16, 2012, 08:55:55 AM »
A friend of mine has one that he wants to sell and I think I would like to buy it, can some one tell US what a fair price would be for both of us?? i have never seen it but he says its looks great but is gritty and clanky and a bad trigger. are all win like that?

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: price on winchester lever action 44 mag?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 09:47:52 AM »
I haven't tried all of them, but the late production one I had sure was.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Lonegun1894

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 06:06:00 AM »
I have two Trappers, one in .357 and the other in .45 Colt, so no .44 Mag, but mine are both tight and cycle my handloads well.  The triggers on both needed a little smoothing though, but that was a matter of cleaning and then polishing contact surfaces and that was all that was necessary on mine.  Price wise, I wont say what I paid for both of mine NIB because some people here will cry.  I will say that I got them about 3 months before Winchester announced that it would stop manufacturing them, so I got very lucky, even if it was just dumb luck.  I have been offered 4 times what I paid for them on several occasions, but i like these little guns. 
However, if this sale should fall through for you, you might consider the Rossi rifles.  I have them also in .357 and .45 Colt, and the Rossi's do feed slightly smoother than the Winchesters due to being the pistol-lenght cartridge specific 1892 action, instead of the .30-30 lenght 1894 trying to feed the short .44 Mag stubby pistol round.

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 06:57:48 PM »
Winchester made a run of the 94's in 44 when the 94 quality was at its lowest,,stapped sheet metal everywhere.. The later ones use a cast lifter and that can be the indicator. The sheet metal guns rattle even with the lever held shut and their triggers are horrid. Those I've seen do have the habit of shooting pretty well.. Prices are commensurate with a  30-30 of the provenence based on condition.  From probably $150-300.. You might check the auction sights for what they have sold them for.
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 12:31:31 AM »
Give the GunBroker site a look-see. If there are any listed ,you can get a ball park price there. 
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline chefjeff

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 01:16:48 AM »
I just sold one for $400.Certainly not my fave 94.Still have  a .44 deerstalker,not for sale.