Author Topic: Im looking for a cannon  (Read 739 times)

Offline jbass8326

• Trade Count: (0)
Im looking for a cannon
« on: August 17, 2012, 05:58:05 PM »
I'm looking for a cannon, it was big part of my boy scout troop. when the troop folded up I was given the cannon, it has troop 89 ingraved on the top the base is cast iron. not sure but i think it is 40 plus years old. well some sorry no good joker stole the cannon. I would like to find one that is close to what in looking for cause I'm going to put it in the local boy scout camp museum. any help would be great.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
Re: Im looking for a cannon
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 06:06:05 PM »
Hi jbass. . That looks like one of the higher quality bronze cannons that cost a small fortune.  Im sorry someone stole it from you that really sucks.

You will be able to get the carriage and the travel box replaced by visiting this website.
http://www.jmelledge.com/

Im not sure the best place to get a cast bronze barrel 

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:48:10 PM »
Jbass8326,

Sorry to hear about the theft of your gun. What's the length and bore size of the barrel?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 03:29:31 AM »
Hi Jbass,
It is hard to tell scale from your good photo.  There is a sticky at the top with cannon sources.  Site sponsers like Brooks make very nice brass barrels.   In addition, there's always ebay...  some good barrels go through ebay...  some sold by members here...  but some junk too.   Classic Cannons has a larger barrel listed for sale on his site right now. 
You should pay attention to the barrel safety sticky...  that the wall thickness all around the chamber should equal the bore diameter.  It is best to prevent tragidy by building a barrel as if it were to be live fired.  Our metal toys will outlive us.

Offline jbass8326

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 07:06:35 AM »
I think the bore size is 69cal or lager, i know it was longer that 12inches.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 09:06:19 AM »
That's a cast barrel, I'm guessing brass, and cast naval guns of around that size used to be seen on ebay every now and again, but now they're few and far between. I agree with flagman, getting a machinist to turn one out of solid stock would probably be your best bet.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 02:35:34 PM »
The one place not listed is Gillmor Ordinance.  They cast small cannons as well as large.     

Offline shred

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 08:05:57 AM »
If it's going to sit in a display case, then one of Zulus wooden barrels might be the ticket-- less chance somebody will want to roll it out and fire it again too..

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 08:19:43 AM »
jbass,

Do you have any more pics? Do you still have the box? I can reproduce this.

The Boy Scouts have been an important part of America, setting a basic foundation for many, as well as the Eagle Scouts that have gone on to be fine U.S. Presidents.

I would like to be part of this.

Michael
                                          Home of the Golden Gun

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 08:20:13 AM »
This one's availible. ;D 8)
Zulu

Zulu's website