Author Topic: Roof prism bino's???  (Read 1047 times)

Offline double tap

• Trade Count: (0)
Roof prism bino's???
« on: February 07, 2004, 10:28:01 AM »
Howdy,

Since I got such great advice from ya'll when I was looking for a new rifle scope, I thought I'd ask for opinions on roof prism binoculars.

I got lucky and drew a sheep tag this year. :grin:   Seems like a good excuse to pick up some new bino's, so here's my question.

I'm looking at the Pentax DCF WP, Leupold Wind River Olympic, Leupold Wind River Pinnacle, and Bushnell Legend.  I also picked up a pair of Sightron S-III's the other day and was quite impressed.  While I like 8x42 glasses, I think I want 10x50 for sheep and goats.  I'd also consider 10x42.  I do want phase coated optics, but can't afford Zeiss or Swaro's, so the high-end European glass is probably out.

I have read some good things about the Wind River bino's, heard many good things about the Pentax DCF WP, and am looking at Bushnell for the Rainguard (which I love on my Elite rifle scope).

I'd sure appreciate hearing any comments, opinions, suggestions, or any other info. anyone would be willing to pass along.

Thanks  :D

Offline Dave in WV

Roof prism bino's???
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 02:10:07 AM »
I have the 7x42 B&L Discoverer binoculars and really like them. That said the Nikons and Pentax high end binoculars seem to always get high praise. The decision between 8x & 10x is a personal one and I won't try to persuade you one way or the other. Keep in mind above 10x you can't hold the binoculars steady enough by hand to get the most out of the increase in magnification.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
Roof prism bino's???
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 04:55:19 AM »
I've got a set of the 8x42 legends and a the 9x25 legends and love them. Not only for there brightness and clarity but for there durablilty. I have banged and dropped these binos all over missouri and never had them go out of alignment. The raingaurd is great to. Before I got the legends I had a serious problem with fogging in cold weather. Also the b&L mentioned before is very good. The 7x42 is a little brighter than the legend and it also has raingaurd. This year the name on those was switched from B&L to Bushnell so so you have to look for it under the Bushnell name.
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Roof prism bino's???
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 05:48:36 AM »
Now perhaps you live near where you will hunt and are planning to hunt on your own. Perhaps not. As I understand it the cost of a guided sheep hunt is in the $10,000-$15,000 range. Seems to me if a fellow can afford such a hunt he really can't afford to scrimp on what might be the most important tool to his success. IF you are hunting on your own and not with a guide then really the importance of your binocular then goes up exponentially as you must find and identify the ram you'll take by yourself.

I've never hunted sheep, have no real interest in it and am not physically able even if financialy able which I also am not. But from what I've read it is really mostly a glassing game. Maybe 90% glassing and 10% stalking once the right ram is located. With that in mind I'd sure not scrimp on the binoculars. They will be almost if not as important to you as your rifle and scope.

I own and use the Bushnell Legends in 7x42. Love them. Great binoculars. But I honestly think if I were going to spend the kinda money a sheep hunt requires and with the difficulty it takes to get a tag I'd sure step up a notch for binoculars to the B&L Elites maybe since you have ruled out the European  binoculars. Just the musings or an old man who thinks some times optics can be the MOST important element of your hunt.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline double tap

Roof prism bino's???
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 10:56:13 AM »
Dave in WV & Bushnell Boy,

Thanks much for the info.  Nobody locally carries the Legend or Discoverer (or much of anything else, for that matter), but I'm getting up to Anchorage tomorrow and I'm hoping I can find some up there to take a look at.

Graybeard,

You are right about the cost of a guided sheep hunt.  Too rich for my blood!  No, my buddy and I got drawn for a non-motorized hunt area, so after a ferry trip to reach the main road system, we are driving to Delta Junction (Alaska) and will backpack into the actual hunt area.  The total cost in $$ should not be too much.  While it's my first sheep hunt, it's his fourth, and judging from his past success I'm pretty optimistic about the hunt.

As far as optics, I have a B&L Elite spotting scope we're taking with us, and I have an Elite scope on my rifle.  While I'd like to say that money is no object and choose from the Zeiss' and Swarovski's of the world, my reality is a litttle on the lean side.  

I fully agree with you on the importance of quality optics.  So, recognizing that high quality optics are very important, what I'd really like to do is get the most "bang for my buck" and get the highest quality binoculars I can afford.  Neither my spotting scope nor my rifle scope are the "best", but both serve me well, and I have not felt hamstrung by having had to settle for either.  To the contrary, I could not be happier with my Elite rifle scope.  On a mountain goat hunt last fall my companions were dealing with rain and snow fogging up their site picture, while I dropped my billy during a driving rain/snow storm the first day with no problem.  That sold me on Rainguard, and I'm a fan for life!

Anyway, thanks very much for your input and opinions.  I can't just run down to the local store and line up a bunch of different binoculars for myself, so getting real world opinions from folks like yourself is a tremendous help.  :grin:

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Roof prism bino's???
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 12:57:31 PM »
The Bushnell Legend is one fine binocular. The Elite even better if you can swing it. I consider my Elite Spotting scope as good as it gets. Huge and way too big for a hunting trip but wow do it work nice on my shooting range. I have the huge one with 80mm objective. NICE!

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
Roof prism bino's???
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 07:01:54 AM »
When I saw "non-motorized" hunting area, my first thought was what kind of shape are you in? Big, high-magnification binoculars are wonderful to use, but not so wonderful to carry.

Once you rise above a quality threshold, all binoculars are acceptable. Carrying rifle, winter clothing, shoe packs or boots, rucksack, binocular, and so on -- at some point you must make choices.

When I think about sheep hunting I think about altitude and long distances. You may be in superb physical condition. Then again, carrying even thirty pounds at altitude all day may cause the hunt of a lifetime into a nightmare.

Something to think about: you will spend less than sixty seconds shooting. You will invest nearly all the rest of your waking hours using your binocular, finding that perfect target.

I use a Zeiss 8x30 B/GA IF binocular with milscale rangefinder. This once a lifetime purchase weighs 25 ounces with strap, lens covers, and umbral (snow) lenses.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline dwitteman

Roof prism bino's???
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 08:04:29 AM »
I chose a pair of Pentax DCF WP 10x42 binos a year ago.  I have been completely happy with my choice.  These are suburb roof prism binoculars that I would recommend to anyone.  They make this model in the 10x50 and if you shop well you should be able to find a pair in the $400+ range.  Good luck with your hunt.

Offline Ramhunter

Roof Prism Binos
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 05:02:51 AM »
Double Tap,

I've been on seven sheep hunts over the years and, for what its worth, here are my comments.  I agree to go with the very best glass you can afford.  So much is riding on them, especially on a do-it-yourself hunt.  You'll want to go with a 10X glass.  Virtually all the guides I have hunted with, use 10's.  Your first job is to spot a  ram so you can get your spotting scope on him to evaluate the head gear.  This often involves spotting them at distances of a mile or considerably more.  Lesser magnification often will not have enough resolution to get the job done.  If you want to save a little weight, go with a 10X42 rather than a 10X50.  The larger objectives add weight and are mainly useful under low light conditions at dusk and dawn.  This advantage does not apply often to sheep hunting.  

The better the optical quality, the better the resolution, and the better the ability to spot sheep (and the higher the cost).  The eye can adjust to slightly out of focus images.  But if you are going to be glassing for hours on end, poorer quality glass will lead to eye strain and headaches.

Here's an option to consider.  Because it is more difficult to get both barrels of roof prism binos in perfect alignment, they are more expensive than a porro prism bino with comparable optical quality.  As a result you can get more optical quality bang for your buck out of porros, but you will pay some penalty in added weight compared to roof prisms.

Any way, good luck on your hunt.  Hope you tag a 40 incher.

Offline double tap

Roof prism bino's???
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 07:43:29 AM »
Thanks for all the good info!

Naphtali,

You are right about the weight-saving concerns.  However, several of the bino's I am considering weigh in at around 27-28 oz.  My hunt will be in August, so we're hoping that by carefully selecting our clothing and shelter needs, we can save a little weight by not packing too much clothing for extreme weather.  I have not been able to find the Zeiss bino's you mentioned here, and the smaller binoculars I have looked at do not seem to have the same resolution as the larger ones.

dwitteman,

I did find a pair of DCF WP 8X42's to look through.  Nice!!!  They are definitely in consideration.

Ramhunter,

It sounds like you've been bitten by the sheep bug!  I'm told I will, too.  Can't wait to find out.

I have looked at a couple of porro prism's, but have also been told that they cannot be made nearly as waterproof as roof prism's.  I live in SE Alaska, where waterproofing can become a deciding factor!  While my sheep hunt will be up in the interior of Alaska, I'm sure my binoculars will see duty here at home, as well.  Also, thanks for your suggestions as to 10x glass.

Thanks again to all who have responded to my post.  Your comments are much appreciated.

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
Roof prism bino's???
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 04:03:39 AM »
double tap:

Since you tend to agree with my ideas, you are clearly a person of good sense.

Enough already.

First the good news: My Zeiss 8x30 B/GA IF Olive [or] ClassiC binocular is model #523514. It has an F2 reticle and umbral lenses model # 529401. The binocular is in production.

Now the not-so-good news: binocular is generally available only in Europe. But Zeiss-USA should be able to order it for you. Dale Henshaw's contact numbers are:

(800) 338-2984 ext 5847
dhenshaw@zeiss.com

Deutsche Optik may also be able to order directly, at less cost than Zeiss-USA. http://www.deutscheoptik.com/

Almost certainly you would be able to buy the binocular less expensively from a European seller.
I mention the F2 reticle because I appreciate being able to reasonably estimate distance without having another semi-useless piece of electronic hardware in my pack. This is a clean, unobtrusive milscale rangefinder that functions horizontally and vertically. Mine was installed after purchase, in Germany. Apparently, any work or maintenance that is done to German-manufactured Zeiss binoculars is done in Wetzlar.

Umbral lenses are the drop-on equivalent of full-spectrum glacier glasses. They are intended to reduce glare and eye strain when view over water or snow.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell