Author Topic: 18th Century French Cannon  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Oceanexploration

• Trade Count: (0)
18th Century French Cannon
« on: August 18, 2012, 03:32:41 AM »
Hello all,
I'm new here.  I have a small (1-lber?) bronze French cannon circa 1780 recovered from a wreck.  I'm having a reconstruction done of the carriage and mounts.  Does anyone know where I can find either plans or a good picture of what it looked like accurately?  I would like the reconstruction done properly and accurately if at all possible.  Thanks!

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: 18th Century French Cannon
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 03:50:22 AM »
Oceanexploration,
I just sent you a personal message.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 03:57:37 AM »
Possibly a swivel gun? Pics of the cascabel and breech would be helpful. Nice find!
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 04:20:25 AM »
Oceanexploration,
Here are a few pictures of a carriage I recently finished for a nice barrel about the same size and age as yours.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Oceanexploration

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 04:55:42 AM »
Thank you all for the help and information.  Zulu, that is amazing work!  I will contact you offline via email.  Being that this came off a wreck, the condition is surprisingly excellent compared to others we've recovered.  Anyone have an idea what a cannon such as this would go for with the right buyer?  Not interested in selling it, at least at this time.  Perhaps in a year when I'll need more room  8) 
Here are some more detailed pics:

Right trunion:

Left Trunion:

Offline steelcharge

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 05:41:25 AM »
Certainly a swivel gun and yes 1-pdr as I think all of this model of French swivel gun had a ca. 2" bore, which is 1-pdr.
You should contact cannonmn about this piece, I think he has several of this type and knows a whole lot more about them.

Heres link to another one in a museum, and the second one is the info plaque of the gun, showing a drawing of an original (?) mounting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/piedmont_fossil/360847259/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/piedmont_fossil/360846537/in/photostream/

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 07:12:56 AM »
Certainly a swivel gun and yes 1-pdr as I think all of this model of French swivel gun had a ca. 2" bore, which is 1-pdr.
You should contact cannonmn about this piece, I think he has several of this type and knows a whole lot more about them.

Heres link to another one in a museum, and the second one is the info plaque of the gun, showing a drawing of an original (?) mounting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/piedmont_fossil/360847259/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/piedmont_fossil/360846537/in/photostream/

First.... Welcome to the Forum! you have a very nice original cannon there...... now the question is to have a accurate 18/19th C carraige built for it which will display nice or have a proper blacksmith'd yoke built and a display base and post built for it........
taken from bottom link...."How it came to be obtained by Barbary Pirates is unknown" ......... one can sumise that an unfortuneate French ship lost it's fight with the Pirates as the most likely way it was "obtained".......... Looks very much like the same pattern you have in you possession.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 08:25:36 AM »
Hi Oe; that's a sweet recovery you've got there. As has been said, I think that's a French perrier model 1786, and the correct mount would be a swivel yoke with a bed (a flat piece of metal extending from the yoke, that the breech of the gun rests on).
Here is a cannonmn vid that shows some French swivel guns; and I also believe that the cannonmn will be in contact with you soon (just teasing you John).

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 11:32:57 AM »
Yes it is a French M1786.  Gilierson's "BOARDERS AWAY II" has info on it, last I checked the entire book was online via "Cheaper than Dirt."  Hard to say what one in that condition would bring, best I could advise is to look for something in mid-4 figs somewhere.  The French must have cast thousands of those; I've seen probably 50 just in the US, no telling what the total number of survivors is.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 11:51:46 AM »
Yes it is a French M1786.  Gilierson's "BOARDERS AWAY II" has info on it, last I checked the entire book was online via "Cheaper than Dirt." 

No, it's been gone for awhile now, someone must have requested that it be removed. I wish I would have known that was there before I bought the book, because all I really wanted was the chapter on swivel guns.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »
Yes it is a French M1786.  Gilierson's "BOARDERS AWAY II" has info on it, last I checked the entire book was online via "Cheaper than Dirt." 

No, it's been gone for awhile now, someone must have requested that it be removed. I wish I would have known that was there before I bought the book, because all I really wanted was the chapter on swivel guns.

I printed the whole book before it was removed. ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 01:11:12 PM »
I consider myself fortunate to have obtained Boarders Away Vol 1 (with steel) & 2 (firearms).
Be watchful if you try to buy...  Volume 2 is hard to find (Vol 1 is not).  Many sellers show Vol 2 in stock but I caught it magically becoming Vol 1 at checkout.  Eventually, I found my copies.