Author Topic: What kind of sights come on 18 3/4 357 barrel?  (Read 558 times)

Offline rc51kid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
What kind of sights come on 18 3/4 357 barrel?
« on: August 19, 2012, 07:35:15 AM »
I am looking to send in for a 18 3/4 357 barrel with the iron sights. Does anyone know what the factory sights are like that come on it? I would love to see a picture of them. But the most importat part is if the front sight is drilled and tapped int the barrel and what the contour on the barrel is. I will be getting the barrel cut and threaded to 16.5. If it is a straight barrel with out a tapper to it and the sight is screwed in then it will be easy (cheap) for the smith to relocate it back.

Offline SEK_22Hornet

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: What kind of sights come on 18 3/4 357 barrel?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:54:01 AM »
I don't see that barrel listed on their Barrel Program web site - have you confirmed that it is available?  I'd love to have one of those myself, but have been told by H&R that they are not available.  The only one I see listed is the 22" with scope rail.

Offline rc51kid

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 08:05:44 AM »
No i saw it in one of the stickys posted at the top of the page. I guess i should give them a call and make sure it is around.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 08:18:12 AM »
18¾" Talo Trapper barrels come with the Williams WGOS rear sight and standard screw mounted H&R blade front sight. When ya call H&R, be sure to ask for Lisa Walters if you can and ask by barrel part number, she's Brian's counterpart in Madison CS.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
what are the threads for?    ...a can?

you won't be able to see the sights any way

get the one with the scope rail  use a red-dot...better at night
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 09:15:41 AM »
I am looking to send in for a 18 3/4 357 barrel with the iron sights. Does anyone know what the factory sights are like that come on it? I would love to see a picture of them. But the most importat part is if the front sight is drilled and tapped int the barrel and what the contour on the barrel is. I will be getting the barrel cut and threaded to 16.5. If it is a straight barrel with out a tapper to it and the sight is screwed in then it will be easy (cheap) for the smith to relocate it back.

Hi,

The 357 18 3/4" barrel I had was tapered.  Front site had one screw hole, #3 size don't remember the TPI.   IMO, if a smith wants more $$$$ to thread the barrel because it is tapered I would be very concerned about what method and equipment he plans to use to cut and thread my barrel.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline rc51kid

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 10:11:33 AM »
Just to make sure i am being clear. I will be using it with a 9mm can, Octane 9 HD 2 which should be a little smaller than some 7.62 cans (1.37 vs 1.5). So my next question was going to be about sight height  and all of that stuff.  The heavy barrel Handis i have seen with sights on them look to have tall sights. This is more so true with the rear peep sight when they are mounted in the scope mount holes. I bet they would clear the can fine. But i dont know about the ones on the taper barrels.

About the gun smith charging more. I was talking about mounting the front sight not threading the barrel. The barrel will get threaded but the contour of the barrel wont change that. I just thought moving a front sight back 3" would be easier on a bull barrel where it does not change the height of the front sight by moving it back. On a tapered barrel the diamiter of the barrel changes as you move closer to the breach end. Thats all i meant.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »
if a can  is yor plan
definatly get the 22inch...and scope it..or red-dot

i did a rossi with a can....i wish  and still might do a handi
the rossi  is a little too thin barreled
my can  aligns  off the shoulder...fatter is better
mine has a red-dot

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 04:57:35 PM »
The 18 3/4" barrel is tapered. The front sight on mine is a square post, and is quite tall. Just have the smith move it back however far you want and tap it. You can move the rear sight up a bit or file the front post down a bit, either way will work for you.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud