Author Topic: .357 Maximum  (Read 6584 times)

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
.357 Maximum
« on: February 07, 2004, 11:57:09 AM »
:P Just finished reaming out a perfecly good .357 Mag handi to the Max.And I like it, seems to shoot well but I gotta get it on a bench, Monday if the weather will let me, It was a hard thing to do cause it was putting 148gr wadcutters thru the same hole at 25yrds, and it clover leafed some 125gr XTPs, Oh well thats why I ordered an extra barrel I really wanted a Max. I need to get a camera so I can post some picks. More to follow later. :gun4:
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline JPH45

• Trade Count: (0)
.357 Maximum
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 12:06:09 PM »
Sounds like a shooter Bob,  my barrel before I rechambered it wouldn't group into 3" at 25 yards, and at 50 wouldn't stay on a paper plate. The rechamber changed all that. The only shooting I've done with mine at 25 yards since rechambering was killing a spike buck this year :grin: Am sure you will continue to get more and more enjoyment from it. Good Shooting JP
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Daveinthebush

Lucky!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 04:58:15 PM »
Bob your lucky!  The snow banks along  my driveway are in places up to my shoulders.  Shoveled the roof for the fifth time this winter.  We have a range in Valdez but finding it is another matter!!!!!
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline nightstalker

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 02:42:23 PM »
I was considering rechanbering my .357 to Max but after I got it out and shot it last weekend I was afraid I would screw it up.  I had some old golf balls I had picked up somewhere and threw them out on my range.  It seemed like I wasn't able to miss.  I have never picked up a rifle that fits me better that my synthetic stocked .357.  The only modifications I did was to install a ste of Williams Guide Reciever sights.  I did grind the Williams front bead sight to a thin post type and I am getting ready to install a Lee enfeild # 4 front sight guard to protect it.  It wont be pretty but thats not what I bought the rifle for in the first place.

Offline Badnews Bob

.357 Maximum
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 02:49:01 PM »
I did some shooting off my fine ladder rest today with some good results, after a few rounds to get the sights close I was able to put  15 shots(5 each of 3 diffrent bullets) into a 3.5" group at 50yrds, Its seems to favor heavier bullets but still to soon to be sure, It put  5 180gr XTPs  into a 3" group with 3 touching and the others kinda misplaced by the operator.  I'm jonesin for some better weather so I can wring this thing out and give better reviews.
 Thats part of why I like you guys everyone shares info good and bad, I'm sure my shooting will improve for that reason alone. LATER 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Badnews Bob

.357 Maximum
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 05:25:44 AM »
:wink: Ok so i measured the groups  and got this.

158gr JFP  2.18" group 3 touching 2 fliers.

!50gr Win silver HPs  1.77 group.

180 hornady XTP HP 4 rounds at 1.04 1 opened it up to 1.75, thease also shot closer to POA.

Seems to like heavier Bullets,  It also put some 187gr LRNGCs into a 1.85" space while I was bringing in the sights.
 :gun4: I think I like it :mrgreen:

Oh by the way that was at 50 yards with open sights.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline 338

• http://www.cj2j.com
.357 Maximum
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 06:29:05 AM »
Keep up the good work, and keep us posted on all your results Badnews Bob.

Hey 308, have you started your MAX project yet?
The weather has been crappy and cold, plus i've been to busy to shoot mine. I only have 25rds through it since the rechamber. I've got some new 158JHP loads worked up again though. I am trying quite a bit less powder this time, compared to my fist loads. There were signs of excessive pressure when I looked at them under a magnifing glass(I was trying to Hot Rod the load). I also have that 22hornet front sight installed on the gun now to compliment the williams rear peep. Maybe this coming weekend i'll get a little time to shoot and report back.
When in the woods, listen for the rumble of my cannon. Happy hunting/shooting!

Offline .308

• Contributor
.357 Maximum
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 06:53:36 AM »
338, Not yet waiting on my barrels. Should have them sometime in March. Got all the components I need. Ordered brass and 180 XTP's from Midway and have them on hand. Got several powders, primers, and other bullets to try also. Just a waitin'. Maybe have some decent weather soon for you to shoot yours and give us a full report. :wink:

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
.357 Maximum
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 06:56:05 AM »
Who all is left on the orignal list. I'm jumpin up and down waiting to take mine to a 357 max.  :-D

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline 338

.357 Maximum
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 06:57:46 AM »
Do you already have a .357 rifle BBF?

Offline .308

• Contributor
.357 Maximum
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 06:59:30 AM »
Quote from: Badnews Bob
:wink: Ok so i measured the groups  and got this.

158gr JFP  2.18" group 3 touching 2 fliers.

!50gr Win silver HPs  1.77 group.

180 hornady XTP HP 4 rounds at 1.04 1 opened it up to 1.75, thease also shot closer to POA.

Seems to like heavier Bullets,  It also put some 187gr LRNGCs into a 1.85" space while I was bringing in the sights.
 :gun4: I think I like it :mrgreen:

Oh by the way that was at 50 yards with open sights.

Taint bad, matter of fact that's real good with open sights. Hope I can do half as good with mine with the Williams rear and the Hornet front. When I get it done that is. 8)

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
.357 Maximum
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2004, 07:02:20 AM »
Yes I do. I found one a couple weeks ago. The one sporting good shop I deal with called me back and told me they had found one in their store room. So I ended with it a did not get the Rossi. I have my Lee anv. kit and a set of carbide dies. Just need to set it up and get supplies. I'll say one thing you guys sure helped me spend some and you didn't even know it. :-D

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline 338

.357 Maximum
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2004, 07:07:25 AM »
BBF, how far down the list are you for the MAX reamer?
Man, if you have that much cash to play with, send some this way. I just bought myself a Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison :-D  on my birthday last tuesday, and could use some extra cash for accessories :-) .

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
.357 Maximum
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2004, 07:11:30 AM »
338 you picked a heck of a truck. I work in a Chevrolet dealership as parts manager. I was not on the original list. DJ said to PM him when I was ready. I sent him two from here but have not heard back from him as of yet.

PS Happy belated birthday

BBF

Offline 338

.357 Maximum
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2004, 07:16:20 AM »
BBF thanks for the belated birthday wish. Getting that new truck is probally my best birthday present ever. I love it!

I don't know if I can say this here? But. DJ hangs out alot over at accuratereloading dot com I was hanging out over there until you emailed me saying most were here. I must say I like this sites format better though. Plus its moderated better here.

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
.357 Maximum
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2004, 07:25:50 AM »
He logged over here a couple days ago. Maybe when he loggs on again he will get his PM's from me.

BBF

Offline Badnews Bob

.357 Maximum
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2004, 08:31:27 AM »
By the way those were all shot useing Imr 4227 a couple grains less than max listed for each boolet and CCI small rifle primers I'm real happy with the 4227 but plan on trying H110 and Win 296 among others. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Leftoverdj

.357 Maximum
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2004, 09:03:28 AM »
Bob, if you have not put the reamer in the mail yet, it can go to BBF instead of coming back to me. I emailed him to send you his address and I'll see if I have it filed.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Badnews Bob

.357 Maximum
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2004, 09:14:32 AM »
Roger That DJ, have you seen the guys talking about it (the max)on the single shot forum? 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
.357 Maximum
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2004, 09:18:47 AM »
Thanks DJ much appreciated. Sent you a e-mail and sent Badnews Bob a PM. :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

BBF

Offline 338

.357 Maximum
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2004, 09:42:04 AM »
Looks like you'll be joining us MAX users sooner than you thought BBF. :grin:  8)

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
.357 Maximum
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2004, 11:52:00 AM »
Don't forget to try out the hodgens lil gun for the max.  As for accuacy I have read that the max likes the heaver bullets over the light ones.  I guess you guys will just have to practice up untill you run out of options :grin: .
I must be crazy.

Offline dzrtram

.357 Max reamer
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2004, 12:30:22 PM »
Where can I get a reamer to ream my Savage, Winchester, and HR? Does the reamer come with some kind of instructions?  If not, how do you know how to ream it.  I would sure appreciate some help.
Thank you
 :grin:

Offline Badnews Bob

.357 Maximum
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2004, 12:45:35 PM »
:? You should be able to do it with the same reamer, I think you would just need some kind of extension to reach the chamber on a bolt gun or lever gun. They are a lot longer thou and I don't know how it would feed. Sure would be sweet in my marlin, anybody know about this? otherwise its one of the simplest mods I've ever performed to a firearm. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Leftoverdj

.357 Maximum
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2004, 12:48:12 PM »
Easy, you just ream by hand until the rim rebate cutter just touches the rim rebate. Some of us used a little chalk or crayon on the rebate and stopped when the reamer took that off.

On the NEF, you can hold the ejector out of the way and not even remove that. I think you would have to remove the extractor on the Savage, but it's been years since I did one of those. On the Win, you would have to pull the bolt and stock and use an extension on the reamer. You better check to make sure the Win will or can be made to handle the longer cartridge before you try that one.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline dzrtram

.357 Maximum
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2004, 12:59:12 PM »
Quote from: Badnews Bob
:?

Sure would be sweet in my marlin, ....................

This was discussed on Marlin Talk and several other sites.  The unanimous opinion from all the gunsmiths we contacted is that it will only work on the Winchester.  I forget the reason, but any good leversmith should be able to explain it.  Jim Brockman is one of the gunsmiths I asked.  He is always good about answering questions.

Offline Badnews Bob

.357 Maximum
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2004, 01:40:17 PM »
:( I had to try it and just about had to take my rifle apart because of it.

:eek:  :eek: They will not feed thru a Marlin 1894C  :roll: I guess I should leave well enuff alone sometimes :wink:
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline JPH45

.357 Maximum
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2004, 03:04:00 PM »
I strongly suspect that the 92 winchester would handle it, but of course one would need a Rossi, wouldn't dream of doing this to an original '92. m sure that it would be at the limits of the cartridge length the action would handle. The '94 would take it no sweat, just a little heavier is all.

Badnews Bob, My Maxie shot as you describe, shooting 3 or 4 of 5 shot tight while 1 or 2 were a little wild. Sereral things changed that. One was simply shooting the gun. A lot. i was taking mine out everyday and shooting a 158 grain lead plinking load, 20-30 times a day. I also did a lot of experimenting with several 200 grain bullets, but am at this point convinced that what helped was opening and closing the gun all those times. I probably shot 2000 rounds through the gun. I don't remember when, it just kind of sneeked up on me (the same is true of my 44 as well) but i did notice that I was no longer seeing ridiculous flyers. Yeah, I might have a rond or tow that opend a group to 1.5", but gone were the days of 2" and larger groups. I got very consistent wit the gun and could shoot 5 rounds of a Remington 200 grain bullet into 3/4" on demand. It shot that well.

The other thing that helped and the only change I have made to the guns is stoning the trigger and hammer and replacing the trigger return spring (adds at least 2 pounds to the trigger pull weight) with very light springs. I took mine off retractable ball point pens. Had to make the bore in the guard a little deeper, did this by hand with a drill bit. The triggers on all my NEF's are about 2 pounds and very clean.

I have never said anything about this, but I think the best fix for the forearm is simply not overtightening the stock screw and working the action open and closed untill it seats in. Sans that, the next best fix would be to open the barrel channel up and bed the area from just forward of the stock screw (not more than 3/4") to the reciever end of the stock, leaving the remainder free floated. This allows a consistant torque on the stock screw, and isolates the forearm/barrel contact. It will require that the bedded area be where you hold and rest the gun when firing. Just something to think about. Good Shooting, enjoy that Max, JP
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline dzrtram

.357 Maximum
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2004, 03:14:46 PM »
Quote from: JPH45

bed the area from just forward of the stock screw (not more than 3/4") to the reciever end of the stock, leaving the remainder free floated....

This is basically what I am doing to the .454 Puma 92--glass bedding the  "wrist".

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
.357 Maximum
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2004, 02:23:41 AM »
I'm going to order my 357 max cases and some Hornady 180 XTP's monday. Will pick up some small rifle primers and powder (still have not settled on a powder yet) from my local gun shop. I may go ahead and order the Lee hand press since I still have not gotten my Lee o-press and bench set up. Then I can keep all my 357 max stuff in a plastic tool box.

BBF (A SOON TO BE MAX SHOOTER)