Author Topic: modified stock into a pistol grip  (Read 1068 times)

Offline bdo

• Trade Count: (0)
modified stock into a pistol grip
« on: August 19, 2012, 02:48:09 PM »
edit: updated pic below

I have lurked here on and off for a few years and I keep finding myself coming back to single shots. I looked through the FAQ but did not find anything about this pistol grip.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/589774/choate-pistol-grip-h-and-r-nef-12-16-20-410-gauge-composite-black

My question is about the legality of this grip. Wouldn't adding this grip to a shotgun even if the overall length is over 26" create an AOW?

Offline TxGun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Retired
Re: Pistol Grip Question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 09:19:19 PM »
As long as the barrel is a minimum of 18" and the OAL is a minimum of 26", it's legal.  On a single-shot like the Pardner, the barrel is obviously going to have to be longer than 18" to get you to the 26" OAL minimum. Aftermarket pistol grips for just about every shotgun under the sun have been offered forever. As long as any shotgun configuration meets both (not either/or) of the above minimums, it's legal in the eyes of the BATF.  (And, of course, most people like to add a 1/2" or so all around just to be sure their gun is compliant).   

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 04:30:14 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 06:16:48 PM »
To legally use this pistol grip on a topper/ pardner the barrel has to be 22". It's actually printed on the grip. It is a fun thing to play around with but has little practical use. There's a pic of me shooting one somewhere .
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline bdo

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 01:12:59 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't positive after reading the ATF's site and I want to be sure before I modify my current stock. I don't want to break any laws. I plan on shaping a pistol grip out of the wood that's on it now. The attached pic is the shape that I am shooting for and will come in at 26.5".

Edit: Excuse the bad pic. I am no photoshop artist.

Offline bdo

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 06:16:47 AM »
This is what I have after some work to the stock.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: modified stock into a pistol grip
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 01:54:24 AM »
OMG!  I've been doing it backwards all these years.   ;)   BTW bdo that's a great looking pistol grip you have there.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »
Quote from: TxGun
As long as the barrel is a minimum of 18" and the OAL is a minimum of 26", it's legal.  On a single-shot like the Pardner, the barrel is obviously going to have to be longer than 18" to get you to the 26" OAL minimum. Aftermarket pistol grips for just about every shotgun under the sun have been offered forever. As long as any shotgun configuration meets both (not either/or) of the above minimums, it's legal in the eyes of the BATF.  (And, of course, most people like to add a 1/2" or so all around just to be sure their gun is compliant).

Good post / answer!

Offline bdo

Re: modified stock into a pistol grip
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 11:34:44 AM »
Thanks jp