Author Topic: Fair price for a golf ball mortar.  (Read 972 times)

Offline Doc Brown.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Fair price for a golf ball mortar.
« on: August 19, 2012, 05:54:54 PM »
So I don't know who this guy is or if hes a member here or what but he sold 2 mortars on ebay that made my head spin. It was  a buy it now for a brand new golf ball mortar on a pretty nice sleigh bed. Nothing to fancy about the bed but it looked great and the barrel looked really really great.

What would you expect to pay for a mortar like the one in this link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=140807696268&si=6DhrSzR5EaSyFpjj36vwb3tBWP4%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AX%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1123&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Realistic price for a golf ball mortar.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 08:42:20 PM »
The bed is really of the style of the 1841 seacoast mortars, at least in shape, while the barrel is of the Coehorn pattern.  $140 is a relatively low price for a complete piece.  My only complaint is the bore diameter is a little (maybe a lot) tight; a golf ball probably would fit only if totally clean.

Sent the maker a message.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 01:33:50 AM »
There are two cannon/mortar builders that sell on Ebay from time to time that produce good quality pieces.  This guy is one of them and he's been selling mostly mortars there for a few years now.  The other is Petersen Arms.

Offline kevingass

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »
His name is Dirk Simmons.  He made me a 1/3 scale naval cannon with a 24" GB Barrel.  As you can see from the picture his work made my head spin too.  And the picture really does not do it justice, beautiful peice of work.

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 02:16:43 PM »
His name is Dirk Simmons.  He made me a 1/3 scale naval cannon with a 24" GB Barrel.  As you can see from the picture his work made my head spin too.  And the picture really does not do it justice, beautiful peice of work.

His name might be Dirk but for the flea bay scoundrels looking for dirt cheap flea market prices, to them he is Chris Kringle, The Santa Clause.  I think his work is worth three to four times what he has been charging.

That is a really nice looking ship cannon. 

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
Re: Fair price for a golf ball mortar.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »
 I just sold mine at  gun auction house that was on a wood  sledg and 2 in. breech with powder chamber, it went for $125.00

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:08:43 PM »
There are two cannon/mortar builders that sell on Ebay from time to time that produce good quality pieces.  This guy is one of them and he's been selling mostly mortars there for a few years now.  The other is Petersen Arms.

I bought two mortars from Peterson Arms; a GB and a 1". Both of them very nicely done and at a great price.

This is the 1". I think it was $115 about five years back...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline freekforge

Re: Fair price for a golf ball mortar.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 05:01:35 PM »
i was just talking about what a good price would be for one since several people want to buy some of mine so 140 is cheap