Author Topic: Survivor in .308 handloads?  (Read 764 times)

Offline skoutfitter

• Trade Count: (0)
Survivor in .308 handloads?
« on: February 07, 2004, 01:35:21 PM »
:D Hi everyone.  I had recently become a member at the nef forum after viewing it for some time.  I still find it hard to believe it got shut down and I left a message at H&R Friday expressing my  :x dissatisfaction and explaining to them that the only reason I purchased the three nef rifles I currently own was because of all the info on the site.  In any event my question is regarding my survivor in 308.  Sometime in the next couple of weeks I will be putting some handloads together for this rifle and was interested in any info on what they seem to like ie. powder and bullet weight etc.  I have already changed the stock to a laminated one, floated the barrel and given it a trigger job.  One of the surprises I found was when measuring for the lands.  Almost couldnt find them and have never owned a rifle with such a deep throat.  Are they all like that?
Never forget the Creator who makes it all possible  <><

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 02:49:03 PM »
skoutfitter,
  First of all let me say I'm glad you found your way here. You E-mail sounded just like mine. I don't own a .308 Survivor, but I understand they have very deep throats, just like my Ultra .223. It doesn't seem to hurt the performance of the .223, so hopefully you'll find it the same way. I have loaded for the .308 in the past, and found the 165, and 168 gr. Sierra bullets to be very accurate. I had used IMR4064 for those loads, and was able to get groups the size of a quarter at 200 yards. Keep us posted with your results, and glad to see you here.
Don

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 02:52:00 PM »
skoutfitter,
  I forgot to ask, where did you get the skoutfitter handle?
Don

Offline Daveinthebush

Try
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 03:10:33 PM »
150 SPBT and 46 grains of IMR4064.  It is the same as I use in my 788 and can produce 3/4 moa at 100 yards.

Welcome to the new NEF site. :D

Remember to start 10% less and work up. Each rifle is like a woman, ya don't know what you can get away with until too late. Either way it will probably cost ya.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline skoutfitter

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 03:11:48 PM »
Big Blue,

skoutfitter is short for S&K Outfitters which is a bussiness of mine.  Can't wait to get out and shoot these rifles.  I have been waiting for weeks now but here in N.H. everytime I have some free time on my hands we are in sub zero temperatures.  Do you know why H&R did away with the ultr comp rifles in 270 & 30-06?  I found one in 270 at one of the local gun shops and was told it was the last of them.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 03:20:21 PM »
skoutfitter,
  I don't know about the Ultra Comps, but if the decission was based on the same reason as Marlin had dumped the Ported barrels, it has more to do with noise complaints, and rifle range shooters getting hit with unburnt powder. Then again, maybe they just didn't sell. I had asked about your name because I was curious about you maybe having ties to the scouts.
Don

Offline skoutfitter

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 03:40:24 PM »
Daveinthebush,

:-) Thanks for the greetings and the load info.  I always err on the side of caution and start at the minimum charge and work up in 1/2 grain increments.  Thanks for the site and GBO is now first on my list of forums.  :-)