Author Topic: Picked up an H&R 949 today.  (Read 1004 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Picked up an H&R 949 today.
« on: August 24, 2012, 07:21:38 PM »
The guy who sold it to me seemed to think something was wrong with it but I never understand what he thought was locked up or broken. It will five in either SA or DA mode. I need to take a better look at it to see if something really is amiss with it that I'm not sent yet.

I know the front screw for the Ejector rod housing is loose and the back screw is missing so that is the firt order of business I think in getting it ready to fire life ammo.

Anyone have other suggests what I might should look at or do to the gun prior to firing?

Here are a couple of photos of it:

Anyone have any idea where to get parts for the gun and perhaps an exploded parts drawing or an owner's manual.

Anyone want to hazard a guess at what the gun might be worth so I'll know how badly I got taken. Actully I don't think I can get taken on it as I got it cheap with the understand that something wasn't right about it but the seller didn't know what. I got it planning to hang it on the wall in my office for display and if I do nothing else with it then I'll have gotten my money's worth on it.

It came with four boxes of ammo bought locally. Three of the four are very old. Two have a price of 87 cents marked and I think one was less than that. Two came from Gibson's in Oxford, AL and they left town at least 30 years ago prolly longer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Re: Picked up an H&R 949 today.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 04:19:46 PM »
Nice score!

RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 03:11:06 AM »
I had one just like that years ago. It was a shooter.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline mjh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 05:59:17 AM »
I recently recieved a 949 that was my father in laws, I've yet to be able to check it out closely, next week most likely I'll have time.   I think numerich has an exploded diagram.  I too would be interested in any information on trouble shooting problems or general issues to look for.  All I've seen thus far is that it should be a fine .22 to get some good use.

Offline RIF

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »
jealous here ;D

no thinking required.
if you bought it right, fix it fire it enjoy it.
may be that the ammo has some collector
value? if so, maybe you can sell and get
some of your funds back. be even more of
a deal then.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .