Author Topic: I really need some help. Long post, please read ALL of it before replying.  (Read 967 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
I NEED a scope that can handle recoil without failing in just a few shots. To make a long story short, here's the deal. I'm short, 5'4" and stocky. The typical scope does not have sufficient eye relief for me to use correctly. So I've been using long eye relief scopes designed for slug guns and muzzleloaders on my centerfire rifles, slug guns, and muzzleloaders. In the last three years I've destroyed one TruGlo scope (not a red dot), one Swift Premier, one Redfield Revolution and possibly two Nikon Omegas, and one Nikon Slughunter. The jury is out on the Nikons. I had one Nikon on a H-R Ultra .308 that will shot sub MOA, I put it on a Savage ML-10II and I think it died on the Savage.Scope quit responding to turret adjustments. I need put it back on the H-R to confirm. I then stole the Nikon that was on my H-R .243Win that shot well and put it on the Savage and I think it has died as well. Once again turret adjustments seemed to be non existant. Either that or the Savage rifle is bad. I stole the other Nikon from my H-R Ultraslug 20 gauge that would shoot just under 4" at 150yrds and put it on my very accurate Rem 870 12 gauge slug gun and shot very good groups today until the last 3 shots. The last 3 shots drifted to the right with the last shot over 14" to the right at 125yrds. Prior to the last three shots, the group size was 3.5"CTC at 125yrds which is typical for that gun if I'm shooting Lightfields. I'm going to head back to the range in a day or two to shoot at 100yrds and see if it was just me today or if the scope puked. Before anyone asks, yes the bases and rings are TIGHT. It seems that either the windage/elevation turret adjustments quit working or the scope will not hold zero. Does any company make scopes that can-
1. handle heavy recoil for more than a few to a few dozen shots
2. has just a simple plex or duplex reticle, no ballistic plex or doa type reticles
3. has at least 4 to 4.5 inches of eye relief
4 is affordable, can't afford $500+ scopes
5. needs to be low in magnification as well, something like 1.5x5, 2x7, or 3x9 or fixed powers like 2 or 4 powers

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Zeiss Conquests have constant eye relief and I think are around 4".  But if I were you I would get a stock that fits me and then not have the hassle.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
Yeah, that would be great but youth stocks are too short and the standard adult length of pull is tool long.

Offline Empty Quiver

Leupold VX3 is a very reliable model, for less money a VX2 is very nearly the same scope. Neither is cheap however but I believe even the VX3 can be had under your budget.

The muzzle loader would be the gun with the most built in variability. Your loading technique being the most likely source, and I mean no disrespect when I say that. Assuming you are correct and the scopes are trashed. Send all of them back for warrantee service if available. Purchase a rifle scope that suits your needs most and attach it to the rifle with witness marks penciled around all contact points to further reassure yourself nothing is moving.  Put the rebuilds back on the remaining guns.

I have faith in Leupold, no doubt they have scopes on the bench, as we speak, that have failed. Leupold has earned the reputation of taking care of it customers, both through good products and good service. You are having problems beating up the lesser scopes of several manufacturers, might be a step up will solve the issue without changing brands.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
It sounds to me like you need to do THREE things:

1. Mount your new scope properly. Properly mounted scopes do not die that soon. Do NOT use a windage adjustable base/ring combo. Get Burris Signature rings or properly lap whatever other type you use. DO NOT use windage adjustable rings/bases.

2. Get a proper length stock for your guns. I'd suggest getting a full size stock and have a gunsmith cut it to your proper length of pull whatever that might be.

3. Buy a Leupld scope. I suggest you take a look at the 2-7 either a VX-1 or VX-2 tho even the Rifleman should have the same long eye relief.

If you get the stock the right length and mount it properly you will not damage a Leupold scope with recoil. If you fail to mount it correctly I don't care what brand you buy it will be ruined.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
in my experience the best scope for you hands down would be a vx2 2x7 leupold. Not many tougher, good eye relief and good optics. You may find something in that price range that does one of those a bit better then the vx2 but none that do all of them better.
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

It sounds to me like you need to do THREE things:

1. Mount your new scope properly. Properly mounted scopes do not die that soon. Do NOT use a windage adjustable base/ring combo. Get Burris Signature rings or properly lap whatever other type you use. DO NOT use windage adjustable rings/bases.

2. Get a proper length stock for your guns. I'd suggest getting a full size stock and have a gunsmith cut it to your proper length of pull whatever that might be.

3. Buy a Leupld scope. I suggest you take a look at the 2-7 either a VX-1 or VX-2 tho even the Rifleman should have the same long eye relief.

If you get the stock the right length and mount it properly you will not damage a Leupold scope with recoil. If you fail to mount it correctly I don't care what brand you buy it will be ruined.

I have used a leo scope on rifles up to 338 win mag with out problems . Even the rifleman series scopes hold up.
With all due respect it seems you have spent over the cost of a quality scope on lesser scopes already.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dave in WV

Leupold fixed magnification scopes are tough. So are most fixed magnifiation scopes. With a fixed magnification scope there are less internal parts. If you buy a Leupold and it breaks it will be fixed and rather quick. If I read your post correct you are breaking scopes on a 870 slug gun? If this is correct and you're using the side plate type scope base I'd have the receiver drilled and tapped if necisary for a direct mount so there's less flex in the mount. Get the stock fixed to fit you. Either cut an adult stock or lengthen a youth stock.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Another vote for the Leupold 2-7 if you decide on a variable.  Generous eye relief, fairly small in size, and the ability to mount  low are all desirable characteristics attributed the the 2-7. I'm happy with the VX-1, but many people get the VX-2 because  they have click rather than friction adjustments and better glass coatings. Any scope can fail, but one of the quickest ways to make a paperweight is to mount a cheap scope on a 12 gauge slug gun. Closeout prices can be found from time to time on Leupolds. Midway just finished a sale on certain Leupys and the 2-7 and 1-4 models were included in the mix. (They even had a few with the Turkey-Plex reticule, which I've always had a soft spot for). People tend to disagree on the merits of buying a Leupold but in my experience Leupold's customer service is second to none and the resale value is greater than with many ofther brands.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
I mostly only use Burris Signature Zee rings. I also use an inch pound torque wrench to mount bases/rings/etc. The 870 in question has a cantilever base, not a saddle/B-Square type base.