Author Topic: 38 SPL with Bullseye and Unique - how low can you go?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline tacotime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
38 SPL with Bullseye and Unique - how low can you go?
« on: August 27, 2012, 04:24:58 AM »
Looks like my little 2 inch Mod. 36 doesn't care for 158gr LSWCHP loads at the upper end of the standard load range. 

But Bullseye 2.8 and 3.0 were promising.  The books seem to start Bullseye at 3.0.  I saw some posts using 2.5.  What is the minimum for Bullseye in .38 with 158gr?

Likewise, it has not shot well with 4.5 Unique.  Going down to 4.0 or below.  Is there a floor with Unique also?

I guess in other words - is there a Kaboom risk hiding there somewhere in the low loads for these powders in .38?

Thanks.

Offline guzzijohn

Re: 38 SPL with Bullseye and Unique - how low can you go?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 04:55:53 AM »
I also reload for a Model 36 using Unique. I use 158 gr. Missouri Bullets, LSWC. I have shot it quite a bit with both 4.4gr and 4.0. It shoots well with both but seems to like the 4.0 load a little bit better and is more pleasant to shoot. When I am in practice I can consistently hit 4 out of 5 on a 4"x6" metal target at 30 yards with a two handed free hold. Both loads shoot pretty much POA. My Model 36 with the 17/8" barrel  is in 95%+ condition 1960s vintage with the pinned barrel. Sweet little gun!
GuzziJohn

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:16:20 AM »
A good load for you snubby is 3gr of BE with the 148gr HBWC. Low recoil, accurate, and a not too shoddy defensive load. I've put thousands of those loads downrange.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 07:25:28 AM »
I use 3.0 gr B.E. with 158 gr cast bullets, works like a charm. Easy shooting and accurate.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 07:46:43 AM »
I never bothered to reload for the 38 spl., as I used to get all my practice ammo for free from the PD.  It consisted of 2.8 grains Bullseye under a HB Wadcutter.  Nice, accurate, pleasant load.  When reloading for a revolver, its important to not go below the minimum recommended load in a loading manual.  To light a powder charge, and you risk sticking a bullet in the barrel.  If this happens, and you are firing fast double action, you risk bulging your barrel, or worse... Not as big a deal in a semi auto as usually an underpowered load that sticks a bullet will not have enough power to cycle the action and allow you to send another round down range.

There is a long running debate about "detonation" (a gun exploding because of too little powder in the shell casing).  Personally, I do not believe it, and have never seen conclusive evidence of it happening, and I have looked...  I believe most so called instances of detonation can be traced back to using the wrong powder, double charges, plugged bore, etc..

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 12:29:03 PM »
I have shot 2.6 grains of Bullseye with a Hornady 148 grain HBWC. It shot well out of a 22" barrel, but I wanted more velocity and bumped it up to 3.0 grains. BTW 3.0 is considered on the high side of Hornadys load manual. I use it for backyard pests, quiet and deadly under 50 yards.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 03:47:01 PM »
I have used 3.6 gr of Unique OK. I did stick a bullet in the barrel once, but tapped it out with a dowel rod without any problem, I think that was with 3.2 gr Unique, and was in a revolver. The detonation thing, I don't think that could occur in a 38. A 300 RUM with 25 gr of some pistol powder...... maybe, I would not be trying that.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »
I don't know how many thousands of 38 with hb wadcutter and 2.9 - 3 gr. Bulleye I have seen go downrange.  It was and is a pet load beginning with my Dad and extending to his three sons.  We shoot them in practice from 357's and 38's alike.  From a 2" barrel on my wife's undercover, I can keep them all in the black on a rimfire target at 10yds.  They will stop a backyard coyote in it's tracks.  Just a good all around load.

You're shooting 10 gr. heavier bullet, so you are not far off my wadcutters.  I have never seen a case of detonation, but you can possibly go too low and plug a barrel.....just be careful out there!

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline tacotime

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 03:50:41 AM »
Good advice.  That was what I needed to know.  The BE 2.5 to 3.0 range is overwhelmingly approved, though 3.0 is shown starting in my manual. 

2.5 to 2.7 will be my next step in load development for this old Model 36, and if no good, then back to 3.0.

First run of 2.8 and 3.0 did fairly well, slight advantage to 3.0, with an apparent difference in primers.  On one test, three WIN primers printed side by side in a horzontal line (about 3 inches wide at 20 yards).  Four CCI primers scattered above the same area, slightly wider spread.  Did not get to retest that, but I will. 

Good simple fun, an old 2 inch J frame Model 36 and some mild 38 loads.  Not too far from heaven for a regular guy.

Thanks.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 06:22:44 PM »
I've gone as low as 2.5 grains of Bullseye under a 148 grain wadcutter and 2.8 under a 158 grain LSWC. Both worked well.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 02:33:18 AM »
I read an article on detonation written by a retired Army ballistics expert. He stated anytime the primer flash can shoot over the entire length of the powder charge you run the risk of detonation. Most of the revolver blow up pictures I've seen involved a charge of Bullseye that was too small for the case.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Centaur 1

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 04:41:38 AM »
There's not much difference between a minimum load and one that will stick a bullet in the barrel. Instead of going bang it's more of a phsssst sound when the gas escapes through the cylinder gap. My suggestion is to use a lighter bullet, I use a 105 grain swc with either Unique or Trail Boss.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 01:08:16 PM »
There's not much difference between a minimum load and one that will stick a bullet in the barrel. Instead of going bang it's more of a phsssst sound when the gas escapes through the cylinder gap. My suggestion is to use a lighter bullet, I use a 105 grain swc with either Unique or Trail Boss.

I know that sound well , had it happen with 2.0 grains of Bullseye in a 3" S&W , wanted to see just how low I could go before sticking a bullet , 2 was the magic number .  ::)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline jackruff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 04:51:43 PM »
I've pretty much settled on 2.8 gr of Bullseye as my standard .38 special load under a 148 gr lead WC.  They are shot in an SP 101 with a 2.25" barrel, a GP 100 with a 6" barrel, and now in a Rossi with a 2" barrel.  (The Rugers are .357 magnums; the Rossi is a .38.)  They make a nice pop and put holes in the target where I'm aiming.

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 01:41:53 PM »
3.0 gr. Bullseye and 148-158 gr. wadcutters are a creampuff in my N-Frame and shoot very well. Very pleasant, accurate and economical load