Author Topic: Did you ever buy a gun cause you liked the concept???  (Read 1480 times)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Did you ever buy a gun cause you liked the concept???
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:30:15 AM »
Hi All,
This is a question that I've asked myself after I buy some cool looking gun and found out it was a dog...but still liked the concept.  I was wondering if you've ever had the same experience....
On a lark I bought a Kel-Tek  SUB2000 in 9mm.  It's a folding carbine with a plastic receiver that takes Glock 17 mags.  I LOVE the concept!  I can fold it and fit it in a briefcase and because it's a rifle, I can transport it almost anywhere.  It has a hicap capability and can shoot into 2" at 25yards if I do my part.  It's lite and has an optional accessory rail which has a light/laser installed.  The sights are wierd but functional, so I'll leave those alone.  It cost me about $350 new and is the chromed version.

Here's my problem.  Even after 300 rounds, it stove pipes a couple times on every magazine and I've tried new mags and lots of different ammo.  Love the concept but can't tolerate the non-functioning.  I'll send back to Kel-tec...only once before I decide to sell it. 

Anyone ever bought a gun and said, "THAT"S COOL!" only to be dissapointed???

What do you think?
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Did you ever buy a gun cause you liked the concept???
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 07:06:57 AM »
H&K SL-7 . jam-o-matic sent it back twice then sold it.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:03:27 AM »
There have been several, but a recent one that comes to mind is the Hi Point 955 (9mm carbine).  Picked up a new one when they were $189.00.  Liked the way they handled, and figured it would make a good "poor mans home defense" carbine, and besides, I had thousands of rounds of 9mm ball ammo sitting around that needed shooting. 

Mounted a cheap BSA red dot sight, and a pressure pad activated combat flashlight to it.  Handled great, and was pretty accurate.  Problem was it jammed at least once per magazine.  Tried two factory 10 rounders, and a 15 round aftermarket, but never could get any reliability out of it.  Ended up selling it to a guy who wanted a range plinking gun.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:11:59 AM »
Larry....exact same situation with the Kel-Tek....it's very cool, and I like a pistol caliber carbine.....but....if it doesn't work and I can'y make it right and sell it.....do I really want another 9mm carbine like a Beretta Storm or the like.  I certainly do NOT want a high dollar one so an AR is out.

Shootall....I had an HK SL-8 that I also sold.  It kept loosening up on me every time I shot it.  I loc-tited the crap out of the thing but could not get it to stay tight.  Also....it didn't group worth a heck with no matter what I tried in it.  Loved the semi-bullpup config and the thumbhole conceot...but...

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »
I know this will bring fire but I get used to it . I can't find a better pistol cal. carbine than a 30 cal carbine. With hollow point ammo it is quite a weapon and hunting gun for reasonable targets at pistol ranges. Masterpeace arms makes a carbine that looks like a Mac 11 that I hear works well the mags are from a sten gun  ;)
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Bigeasy

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 10:24:41 AM »
Doug-  Kel Tek has a pretty good reputation for customer service.  Good chance they will make it right.  Have heard good things about the Storm, but their on the pricey side.  For what its worth though, even the expensive 9mm carbines are not always reliable.  When I was a LEO, we were issued the Colt 9mm sub machine guns, that also had a 3 round burst capability.  They were never close to 100% reliable, and those 32 round magazines were just a slight bump from spitting out the first 3 or 4 rounds.  We were always loosing rounds somewhere.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 06:17:42 AM »
Thanks Larry....there's a dealer in my area that has Mec-Tec uppers for Glock 22.  Lots of folks use them at my club (or so I'm told) though I've only seen one on a bench.  He want's $650 for a used GLOCK22 and an upper as a package.  I can't seem to convince myself that I want to spend that much for a plinker........

Offline D Fischer

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 07:11:18 AM »
Easy answer; no!

Offline JeffG

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »
Had a Marlin camp gun. Same kind of deal. A better gun than Kel Tec, but just as useless.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 01:27:02 AM »
Doug:  if you can't make it work, even with a bit of fiddlin' and using good ammo, then you should find something else that does work.  It will drive ya nutz if ya don't. 
The only rifle I have owned that was a 'concept' gun was a Remington 788 that I thought would make a great scout rifle.  Cal was 308.  It needed re-stocking, trigger work and a lot of loc-tite that never held, as well as a barrel that would shoot some decent loads.  I sold it to a guy who hunted hogs from a tree-stand and did not need or want 100 yd moa - he was happy with it.  Me - I finally picked up a nice commercial Mauser in 8mm that I doubt I will ever get rid of.   

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 06:14:59 AM »
Hey Mikey...I believe I've witnessed your work with that Mauser!!
I also think you are correct, especially about it driving me crazy...no question about it!!! 

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 06:48:21 PM »
If you wanna get particular about it, I think my Ruger ranch rifle falls into that category.  I got it thinking it would be at least a little more accurate than it is.  Wrong.  Mine is one of those minute-of-paper plate rifles.  I think part of the problem is that it had a 3-9x power scope on it, which gave me some unrealistic expectations.  Sure, they can be accurized, but you might as well have just bought an AR by the time you're done with that.  My solution?  Take the scope off and replace with a 1x red dot sight.  Now it's my truck gun.  Works great for fast shots at running coyotes.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 06:18:58 AM »
I have tried to talk myself into a .327mag for quite a while. That is not exactly a gun though. I'll tell you this though, if it were to come in a well made 1894 Marlin I might just have a gun because I like the concept.

To further confuse this. Every gun I've purchased was because I liked the concept, in the end. Looking at my rather meager collection I believe I would not own but one of them if I had to do it all over agin knowing what I know now. I have become sentimentally attached to many of my guns, and parting with them has led to remorse. Surprisingly trading a P-225 SIG for a Ruger NMBH has left me no pangs.

I think this is where collections start. A gun that doesn't quite live up to expectations, sentimental attachment, the desire to prove yourself right by waiting for the situation to arrise where the gun is perfect. Then move to a gun that should be more appropriate, mabe even hit the mark. Repeat till old enough to know better, and smart or poor enough to do something about the addiction.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 07:05:39 AM »
Don't know if this counts or not, but I bought the first Marlin Papoose that came to my area....and it's been great.  Still have it and will not part with it.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »
3 different high-capacity 9 mm para handguns.

i'm glad some other poor soul is
"enjoying" them now ;D
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 03:54:16 AM »
Hey Doug:  Yes, that rifle is the one I used at WH and man did she ever work just the way I wanted her to; always does as a matter of fact.....  I recall the owner telling me that for all the years he had been in the business he had never seen anyone re-cock a bolt action and chamber a round while on the move without lookin'.  I just love it when I can leave someone with a positive experience.......
Doesn't Beretta make a 9mm sub-type carbine.  I believe I have seen a write-ups on one of those, either in the Gun Tests Magazine or by Fortier in Shotgun News or both - I think both could probably be accessed from the net. 
Hey - is the FN 5.7 carbine available to you in Mass. ??? ?

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 05:13:48 AM »
Hey Mikey!

Be4retta does make one but its pricey...$800 i think,  The FN is available but I was liik'n for a 9.  I'm going to shoot it a bit more and then send it back to Kel-Tec if it doesn't straighten out.