Author Topic: Wantin' to make my 44mag a shorty...  (Read 637 times)

Offline oo_buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Wantin' to make my 44mag a shorty...
« on: August 27, 2012, 06:30:51 AM »
So, are you guys payin hundreds of dollars to have your barrels shortened and re crowned?  Or is there a more cost effective method?  I don't feel comfortable attempting this myself.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Wantin' to make my 44mag a shorty...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:34:56 AM »
See all the cut and crown links in the FAQs, doesn't cost anything if you already have the tools, a hack saw and a file, I use a sazall, much faster, just be sure to tape the barrel so the foot doesn't wear the bluing off,  and a ¼" drive stone in my drill to recrown, or a carriage bolt and valve grinding compound.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 09:26:59 AM »
My guy charges $60 to cut/crown/thread

Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:57:09 AM »
It is easy to do your own cut and crown and save some $$$$.  Only problem is once you do one you may catch the bug and start choppin' every rifle/shotgun you own. ;D

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 10:03:42 AM »
I have done a bunch of barrels using the method Quick described (except with a hacksaw). Very easy, you get a quality job and all it costs you is a few dollars for the grinding stone, bolt and valve grinding compound.
Do it yourself, save the money for bullets and powder.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 10:09:23 AM »
If you still don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, most smiths charge $25-$50 for a cut and crown. If they have to remount a front sight, that's another $25-$30 or so.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline txpitdog

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 04:43:33 AM »
I did my own with the help and advice of the good folks here.   I chopped and recrowned the barrel, but had to pay for the front sight to be re-tapped. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 06:33:11 AM »
Its pretty easy once you get past that uneasy feeling your gonna foul something up.

I have done dozens, graduated into drilling and tapping with the audition of a good metal drill press. Even double barrels are easy.

I decided to see if it made a difference on my shortest maxi and had a local smith cut and re-crown.

Looks nicer than mine but doesn't shoot much different.

Try it yourself. Just don't cut to the shortest length. Take say an inch or two off and crown then go shoot. Nothing hurt as the smith can still prun off more and you will be fine.

CT
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 07:35:07 AM »
Exactly what CW said.  Might as well give this a shot.  As long as you leave enough length for the gunsmith to fix if you completely botch it there is no downside to you.  It will be great experience for you no matter how it turns out and the worst case is the gunsmith mocks you a little and you pay for a cut and crown.  MidwayUSA has several gunsmithing how to videos that may help.