Author Topic: Encore 257 JDJ Farm Time  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Jay HHI6818

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Encore 257 JDJ Farm Time
« on: August 28, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »
Cousin and his family was up to our WV property, so the son and I made a road trip. Took along a few toys and the more I shoot the 257JDJ the more I love it. I asked Robby (cousins son) if he wanted to shoot the 257 JDJ at the far target. He reply with a big smile on his face, YES. Boom Clang, shoot again, Boom Clang, shoot again, Boom Clang, shoot again, boom clang. 4 shots went 2.5 INCHES!

See the target?

There it is! Forgot range finder but probably 350 yds.

Video of Robby shooting.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107821683717323430221/RallyValleyFarm?authkey=Gv1sRgCIbpwY2o8KqgbQ#5774119765372069922

Encore 7TCU

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
Re: Encore 257 JDJ Farm Time
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 04:58:23 PM »
Sounds like you all had a great day... and you got some great pictures to remember it by.   8)

The 257JDJ was my favorite of JD's 225Win based wildcats for my Contender handguns (had two of those barrels).   Liked the two 6.5JDJ barrels as well, but for my long range uses the quarter bore shot flatter farther for small diggers.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline 30HERRETT

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 04:54:37 AM »
Larry
What length barrel in a Contender rifle would you order from JD in 257JDJ ?
It will be used for hunting deer some varmints and dogs .
Hope all is well .
Alex

Offline Jay HHI6818

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 04:59:13 AM »
I have a 14 inch Contender and 17 inch Encore barrel in 257 JDJ. The daughter wanted to go deer hunting last year so I set up the 17 inch barrel as a rifle for her. She was shooting 2 inch groups at 200 yds.

Offline 30HERRETT

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 05:18:07 AM »
I had a 14 and wish I never sold it .

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 05:48:54 AM »
Alex,

On a Contender my all time favorite carbine barrels were 20" bulls, mattered not what they were chambered for.   Best balance with my always preferred heavy wood furniture, optimum harmonics with the slow lock time IMO, worked very well for me no matter what the game or range was, nor whether off hand or benched.   All being custom and with tuned handloads (except the 17 rimfires), most shot small bug holes, a 17HMR the most precise of all of them in the 1's sometimes.   Longer barrels would drive a little faster with many cartridges, but that never mattered to me for my uses even to long/extreme long ranges.   I could usually shoot my 14"/15" custom barrels as far and as accurately off a bench as with a carbine or rifle, the available optics being the only limiting factor for extreme range.   Never used my factory 16's as carbines, but did have a custom 18" wispy, light sporter weight 6X47 though with a Choate folding stock that made a light little predator/deer hunting package.   I could carry it scoped and folded in a tennis racket cover type bag. 

Never had any carbine/rifle barrels for my Encores to make an assessment on for them.   Like most of my Contenders, all my Encores wore factory 12"/15" and from 10" to 15" custom barrels.

L.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus