Author Topic: Lightweight Woods Runners  (Read 1482 times)

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Lightweight Woods Runners
« on: August 29, 2012, 06:55:30 AM »
Put these together with ideas from members here: full stock and storearm from Choate on the Tamer, adult camo stock and and forearm (on a youth 20 gauge turkey gun) from GBO classifieds. They are short, light, and manueverable. Thanks for the inspiration!

Scott B.

Offline tranders

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lightweight Woods Runners
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 07:18:40 AM »
They look good.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 01:02:26 PM »
Mine looks alot like the one on top except it's an old 12ga survivor with a choate shotgun stock. It's my avatar pic. Great woods walking gun.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline TxGun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
Really nice, upnut. On a related note, I've been thinking about making up another Shorty. I have two in 12 gauge already...one 18.5" bbl., one 20" bbl., both with Choate Survivor buttstocks, Stor-arm forearms, and front beads reinstalled. I also have a Tamer 20 set up like yours. With Pardners $117 at WalMart, it's hard to resist building another one  :) .   

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 02:20:24 PM »
looks good. . ;)
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »
I'd vote for 'em in 20ga.; I just dont find affordable 1oz. 12ga. loads around here and the lightweights beat me too bad otherwise.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 02:57:31 AM »
Working on one now.  I want mine with wood stocks and everyone knows that takes some work.  Wood stocks (which have to be individually milled) are only done right on more expensive guns.  Metal and polymer are molded and can be made cheaply.  Therefore to get a decent wood stock it requires a little hand work.  Working on a 20 at the moment.  It was a youth with a youth stock which I replaced with a normal LOP adult stock and in the process of thinning it down and making it straight.  Will post results if and when I can get it the way I want it.  With its 22" brl and wood stocks it's about the length of a .30-30 carbine and about a pound and a half lighter (5 Lbs 2.2 oz now) and I'm still wittling on it.

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 01:02:47 PM »
Please post pics when your project is finished! It's interesting, not long ago I wouldn't have owned a polymer-stocked firearm. Now, the H&R's with Choate stocks are the first ones I grab, utility arms supreme. Maybe it's just a phase I'm going thru...Scott B.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 01:31:22 AM »
Actually had it finished but didn't like it.  It had a slight bow under the part that was supposed to be straight and the front of the comb (the only inside corner on a straight stock didn't extend far enough back.  I thought it did until I compared it with my 12 gauge 28" (27.5) brl which I spent a loooong time shaping.

If you can find a pic of Doublebass73,s 16 gauge you will see a Pardner done right with pretty good wood on it.  My 12 is done right but the pallet wood has flaws.  I just say it has "character".  It needed a few more coats of stain but I already had used the Linseed oil on it before I came to that conclusion.  Here it is;

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 01:49:30 AM »
 8) 8) 8)
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.