Author Topic: 243 FOR BEAR  (Read 1871 times)

Offline catncarp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
243 FOR BEAR
« on: August 31, 2012, 03:53:28 AM »
DOES ANYBODY USE THE 243 WIN FOR BEAR AND IF SO WHAT BULLET, THANKS, JIM
7mm-08,  223, 30-30, 30-30 ai, 357 mag, 357 max TALO, 20 gauge, 50 cal huntsman, 22 mag, 20 gauge smoothbore slug, 30-06-03 target, 20 gauge full,  NRA LIFE MEMBER,

Offline helotaxi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: 243 FOR BEAR
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 04:39:07 AM »
No need to yell.

I don't know anyone that uses anything less than a .270 and most go with a .30 cal of some variety.  If a .243 is what you have, the 100gn Nosler Partition is the only bullet I'd really consider.  The heavy bullet weight gives a good sectional density for best penetration and the Partition design ensures that it hold together enough to penetrate as well as it's capable.  Wouldn't be my first choice though and I really like the .243.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 04:48:15 AM »
I've never hunted bear, but from what most everyone says, they prefer a large diameter bullet, even a 44mag.  They say the hair and fat can close up a wound and they might not leave a blood trail if they run off somewhere to die.  They prefer a large diameter bullet that will pass through the bear, leaving large holes for them to bleed out.  Lots use a 45-70 or 444, but a lot use a 308, 30-30, or 30-06.  I assume you are hunting black bear. 

That being said, a very well placed shot with a 243 will kill one.  I've even heard of a couple of kids out squirrel hunting with a .22lr, and a bear came at them, but the boy shot at its head with the 22lf and killed it when one went in the eye socket to the brain.  He did empty his whole 18 shot tube from his Marlin.   

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 06:11:54 AM »
Having shot 3 bears....and love the 243....I'd agree with helotaxi...but....the 243 would NOT be my 1st choice.  I've shot them with 270 06/300win.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline flintlock

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 06:25:50 AM »
I've killed 5, a buddy has killed 6...He uses the Federal Premium 85gr HPBT Sierra GameKing...

I used the 100gr CoreLokts in 3 and the Federal Premium Nosler Partition on 2...

Offline swifty22

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 01:11:57 PM »
Carp, Sure have, used 100 gr Nosler partitions mostly. Black Bear are not that hard to kill and you want something that expands fairly quick but penetrates ie the partition. I use a 270 or 7x57 now days as they make a bigger exit hole.-Muddy

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 01:48:40 AM »
Ive never done it but sure wouldnt hesitate to if i was hunting from a stand and knew i could make precise placement of my shots. I doubt any blackbear would live after a 243 bullet tore up his heart. I proably wouldnt want one if i were dog hunting or even walking in the woods hunting. Id bet that even  a shoulder shot would be marginal for penetration and would want a heavy bullet in a larger caliber for that duty. Like was said there really not hard to kill. Most of my bear have been killed wth the bow or handguns. They tend not to go as far as a deer after being hit in my experience. But im talking 200lb bear here. Theres a big differnce in what it takes to kill a 200lb bear then there is to kill a 4 or 500 lb bear. Personaly i wouldnt want to face a 500lb black bear with a 243 and sure dont want to take off into the swamp tracking the blood trail of a big bear with a 243
blue lives matter

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 02:46:09 AM »
The 243 Winchester with a 100 grain Nosler Partition and IMR-4350 is a mixture not too be taken lightly. I wouldn't hesitate on using it for black bear.

My wifes cousin took a nice 350lb black bear over bait with a 243 Winchester in the neck and the bear dropped on the bait pile and never twitched.

yooper77

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 05:31:15 AM »
Glad to read all of this.  I suppose from a stand I'd consider it...or...maybe not....nah...but that's me.  I love the 243 and am waiting on a new TIKKA Hunter 2012 in 243...wanted something different.  I've shot quite a few animals (mostly deer and exotic sheep and goats) with the 243 using partitions and BTs of the 95gr variety.  Never had any kind of miraculous DRT experiences.  Surely killed the animals, blew out hearts and lungs everytime, but DRT...nahhhh.....

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 06:19:17 AM »
The largest deer killed in Alabama was killed with a 243.  It shot out a couple of vertebre just above the lungs.  Guy aimed a little high.   I personally feel that a .243 for bear is like a .223 for deer.  Can be done, but make sure your shots are good. 

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 10:59:24 AM »
Surely killed the animals, blew out hearts and lungs everytime, but DRT...nahhhh.....
That's pretty much the definition of DRT; not the rifle's fault that the animal was to stupid to know that it was dead.  No cartridge is going to fix that.  Can't fix stupid.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 12:01:07 PM »
Here's something I wrote along while ago regarding the 243:

I used the 243 on the fallow which dressed at 158lbs (a real butterball).  A 95gr NosBT / 43.5gr H414 at 3040fps.  Wouldn't do it again I don't think.  The bullet performed well.  First shot broke the shoulders at about 50yds.  Took a second shot at about the same distance from above (we were on a hill side and the deer was below us).  Interestingly enough...the 2nd bullet entered where the shoulder and where the neck meets and exited just behind the sternum.  A real sharp angle was that shot.  The 3rd shot was a finisher.  Postmortem shows the 1st shot broke both shoulders and the deer ambled away, didn't run.  The second shot (a top to bottom shot) deflated the lungs and the 3rd took out the heart (actually, it came out in three pieces).  The bullet performed well, but, I'd like more shock that I think a larger diameter bullet would give.   

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,126063.0.html

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »
Did you recover any of the bullets?  How big were the exit wounds?  I've heard lot of stories of Ballistic Tips performing exactly as you described from larger calibers as well so I would be much more inclined to believe that the bullet, not the cartridge was the problem.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 08:19:15 AM »
Hi Helotaxi,

I did NOT recover a single one...none under the hide either. All pass throughs. The exit wounds were huge...plenty of blood.....I just don't think there's enough weight in the bullet....your milage may vary.  BUT...I'll still use the 243 and BTs...actually I have a bunch of 90gr accubonds to try as soon as I get my new TIKKA.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 01:21:20 AM »
Never shot a bear. That being said, I would feel better using something larger. Say an 06.
   There are other cals that will get it done as well. The 243 cal in brush is not a good choice as far as I`m concerned. I `ve owned/shot one for years and it`s a great cal in the right arena but"I" would not use it as my primary bear rifle.  J s/n.   

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 07:08:11 AM »
Never been bear hunting before, either - but .243 wouldn't be my first choice, just the same.  I agree, its kinda like the .223 for deer conversation.  I have no doubt it'll get the job done, but in the off chance (however slight it may be) you don't hit it just right and it doesn't drop dead where it stands, what do you do?  At least with a deer, all you gotta do is track it a little farther and drag it back outta the woods...but to me it would be awful embarrassing to wound a bear...especially when you end up having to trip up your hunting buddy and take off running...lol

Offline D Fischer

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »
I've only killed a couple bears so take this for what it's worth. If I were going to choose a 243 to hunt bears, I'd stick to spring bears. Not as much fat to get through on a spring bear. Easy to kill? Sure, shoot it right. But don't forget the fall bear has more fat to penetrate. Might want a bit more cartridge and bullet. As small as I would choose for any bear, is a 6.5 with a 140gr bullet.

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 04:30:17 PM »
 I have no experience on bears, but I did shoot some game with a 243 equivalent, a 27" bbl 6x47mm ( 222 magnum necked up to 6mm) I was recovering from a neck surgery, and I wanted as little recoil as possible. I used the Barnes 85gr XBT. I shot an axis doe at 75yds, complete pass through, dropped on the spot (behind the shoulder shot) I shot a big axis buck twice, first time was a hard angle (hey, those spots had him camoflaged in the shade!) finished him at 15yds w/2nd.
 Now, on the same hunt, I made a deal on a Simitar Horned Oryx. The guide was 'semi-reluctant" to let me use the little rifle, but I had hunted with him many times, I told him I'd neck shoot the thing. We got on a small group, followed them for about a half mile, couldn't get closer than 184yds (lasered) I leaned against a small tree, still on my knees and plugged him toward the base of the neck, broadside, complete pass through, 1" exit hole. He dropped like a sack of dirt, no twitch either! I walked up to about 75yds form him , and gave an insurance shot (those 41" horns can kill you!) his brisket/legs were facing me, I put it through his heart, it stopped in the spine, breaking it. It weighed 83gr later! That tough hide and heavy muscles helped the little 86gr expand.
 I've also used a 220 Swift with 55gr Bearclaw bullets right after that neck surgery, shot mule deer , axis and blackbuck antelope. I like to experiment! ha Here in Utah, I know several guys who use 243s, 6mm remingtons and 240 Weatherbys for deer/elk. I agree that the best use of small caliber rifles (with good bullets) is to use them like a sniper...surgical placement. If you can discipline yourself to do that, they work swell.
Smallest I use now on game is a .270, just because I have a sweet Belgium BAR in one.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 04:27:49 AM »
  Biggest blk. bear i ever shot/killed i shot with a .243, loaded with 100NP's.

I stalked it from the ground, to fairly close range and shot it.  It was a huge fall blk. bear and one shot did the trick, but i still think something bigger would be better.

DM

Offline thxmrgarand

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 04:41:03 AM »
About 6 years ago in the town immediately west of where I live a fellow thought all the bears had gone in so he went deer hunting with his .243.  Bears around here are sometimes trained to come when they hear a shot.  He was bringing out a deer when a bear came and requested it.  The bear took the deer but first picked up the hunter and shook him.  He was somewhat severely injured but survived.  He did put at least one round into the bear but it was a hurried shot.  All this info came from the local newspaper although I did talk to a fellow who is friends with the guy who corroborated the story.

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 02:12:28 AM »
I killed my first black bear with a 30-30 Glenfield carbine.  Distance was about 75 yards or so in thick cover.  I don't think ther bear ever knew what hit him.  Your .243 has the power to get the job done if you do your part.  But I typically think of my .243 rifle as a superb deer/varmint cartridge.  Bears are much meatier animals.

TR