Author Topic: Help identify scope rings please.  (Read 901 times)

Offline Clint KY

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Far West Kentucky
Help identify scope rings please.
« on: August 31, 2012, 07:41:07 AM »
 I bought a used rifle (Stevens 200 in 7MM-08) which came with a Burris scope mounted. I am trying to identify the rings.  The bases are individual.  The rings are mounted on top of a short post.  The posts are half round and half flat. That is, the sides of the posts are circular while the front and backs are flattened.  The posts attach to the mounts with a socket head screw on each side.  To mount the scope the rings have two socket head screws on each side of for a total of 4 screws per ring. 

My difficulty is centering the posts on the mounts. I was hoping to find the manufacturer and see if there are instructions available.

Thanks,

Clint
Western Kentucky

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Help identify scope rings please.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 08:36:22 AM »
The kinda sounds like you could be describing the old Tasco premium ring. I have some somewhere..

Can you post a picture? If no maybe I can find mine and post a pic incase they are the same...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Clint KY

• Far West Kentucky
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 10:49:11 AM »
Here is a picture:

The rings only have one screw per side to hold the scope not two as i had remembered and they are not really round but angled.
Clint
Western Kentucky

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:22:21 AM »
I could be wrong, but I think they may be Millet rings. I have a couple pair of them and they look identical. Check out the link and compare.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=MIAL00711&src=tpCtg

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »
Yup, Millet Angle-locs, decent rings if they're mounted properly using an alignment tool, but they can ruin a scope if mounted wrong.

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/191862/millett-1-angle-loc-windage-adjustable-weaver-style-rings-matte-high
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Clint KY

• Far West Kentucky
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 11:44:41 AM »
You are correct. They are Millets and I am not impressed.  The feature they tout is the feature that is bugging me. They are adjustable for windage and I am having trouble centering them on the rifle.  I burned up a lot of ammo today to get it close.  I need to get out my laser tool before I take the rifle back out.
Clint
Western Kentucky

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 01:28:43 AM »
You are correct. They are Millets and I am not impressed.  The feature they tout is the feature that is bugging me. They are adjustable for windage and I am having trouble centering them on the rifle.  I burned up a lot of ammo today to get it close.  I need to get out my laser tool before I take the rifle back out.

Absolutely yes they are Millett's... Guess I TOTALLY off base in desifering your discriptions!!  :-[ :-[

The ability to adjust laterally IS there advantage. WHEN its needed. BUT I agree, can be a PIA when its not!  :-\

They are a quality ring, that will hold up well. They are also availble in very tall heights. Way back when "flat top" Colt AR's where new, these where one of the only rings that would work!

Here is a couple shots of the Tasco rings I was thinking you where discribing.

They where never popular, but a good (different) design.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline helotaxi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 03:34:35 AM »
Be careful that you don't get the front and rear too far out of alignment with each other.  They WILL torque a scope tube and can bind up the internals or break them altogether and bend/kink the tube as well.  IMO, they make for terrible scope rings and barely passable paperweights.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 04:59:42 AM »
Never had any problems with the Millet AL's I've had (think I still have some).   Easy enough to align/center the rings with a guide rod or bore sighter, and if lapped properly make up for any small differences.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline helotaxi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Help identify scope rings please.
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 04:26:10 AM »
The problem with the angle-loc rings is that they are unable to provide their main selling point, windage adjustment, without torquing the scope tube.  If you want windage adjustable bases and rings, the Burris Signature series are really the only way to roll without spending really huge money.

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 10:59:21 AM »
helotaxi You are exactly right if anyone takes the time to look how the mangle-locs work they would not use them.Maybe OK if you line them up straight with a rod and don't use the windage adjustment but there are better fixed rings.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
Here is a picture:

The rings only have one screw per side to hold the scope not two as i had remembered and they are not really round but angled.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If those aren't Millets, they sure look enough like them to be violating patents.. ;)   :D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)