Author Topic: Scout .222Rem  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Waldyo

• Trade Count: (0)
Scout .222Rem
« on: August 31, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »
Hi All,

I just joined up as I am seriously considering a Scout (badged as Bergara here in Australia) in .222Rem. The rifle should be in the shop mid next week for me to check out, anyone had any experience in the .222Rem versions?

Would prefer a .223Rem if it was avaialble but I believe it would be a simple case to ream it out to .223 if I wanted to?

Looking at possibly one of the Redfied scopes to top it off, either the Revolution 3x9x50 or 4x12x40, not sure yet. Looking fro reasonable magnification but don't want to do and I belive the std. mounts will take the 50mm objective?

Cheers,
Waldyo

Offline OK hunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
Re: Scout .222Rem
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 05:05:46 PM »
Hi Waldyo, and welcome to the board.  I had a Scout in 7MM-08 but ended up swapping it for something else.  I like the Scout and it would be especially fun in the triple duce.  I have used the Redfield Revolution but it seemed to be a bit dim so It moved along.  I like the Bushnell Elite 3200 and the Burris Fullfield II as alternatives.  If they are available down under you might want to look at one.  I believe either of these optics will gather more light than the Redfield.
Yeah, I'm a rifle looney

Offline Waldyo

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 05:40:01 PM »
Hi OK H,
I do like the Elite 3200's and have a couple of 2x7x32's on a couple of Marlin lever actions and am very happy with them. The Redfields seem to be getting some good reviews in a few spots and the LGS has them on the shelf, I may have a closer look and see what else is around also.
Any particular reason for moving on the 7mm08?
Cheers,
Waldyo

Offline OK hunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 07:57:56 AM »
No reason other than a buddy of mine wanted it worse than I did. :D
Yeah, I'm a rifle looney

Offline Waldyo

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 01:02:46 AM »
I checked out the Scout .222 in the LGS during the week and was pretty impressed, so the paperwork has gone in and it should be home within the fortnight (hopefully a little less). Also have a Hakko 4x12 scope lined up so everything is looking good.
Cheers,
Waldo

Offline Waldyo

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »
Paperwork came thru late yesterday arvo so a quick dash to the LGS to pick her up. Only had time to give it a clean so far but feels real nice. Will mount the scope during the week and sight her in on the weekend.

The week will feel real long!

Cheers,
Waldyo

Offline OK hunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »
Great!  I'd love to hear a report on how she shoots. 

In what state in AU are you?  I'm down there 3-4 times per year.
Yeah, I'm a rifle looney

Offline Waldyo

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »
Great!  I'd love to hear a report on how she shoots. 

In what state in AU are you?  I'm down there 3-4 times per year.

I mounted the scope at lunchtime, my son is home from uni for a week and he may take it to the range tomorow to sight it in for me (he didn't put up much of a fight when I asked if he wanted to).

I'm down the NSW/Vic border area.

Cheers,
Waldyo

Offline Waldyo

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 02:21:31 AM »
The young bloke got out to the range to sight it in, took out some 45g Feds and some 50g Winchesters.

He had the 50g printing about 1.5 inch high at 100, the 45g printed about 6 inches higher!

I asked him how it went and he said pretty good. Did you bring any targets home, nah. Did you measure any groups, nah. A fountain of information but he had some fun!

He thought 100m group of around 1.5 to 1.7 inch at a guess, he hasn't done much shooting off the bench so I reckon it shows plenty of promise. Groups he said didn't contain much in the way of stringing and it was a little breezy also.

Rounds loaded and extracted nicely so no problems there. We will head out on Saturday (as he goes back to uni on Sunday) and I'll have a crack at a bunny amd maybe a fox if lucky.

The following week or two and I'll get out and do some more testing to get a better indication of how it goes but like I said first shakedown looks like it holds some real promise.

Cheers,
Waldyo

Offline Waldyo

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 03:20:15 AM »
The young bloke did a  good job of sighting it in, we got out this arvo for a bunny hunt and the first and only shot I've fired so far from it scored a bunny. The rifle is nice to carry and nice to shoot and shows real promise.
During the next week or so I'll get to the range and test some different ammo to see what it likes.
Cheers,
Waldyo

Offline jaysouth

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »
I sure wish we could get CVA scouts in .223 or .222 here in the US.

Offline rosewood

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 02:18:37 AM »
I sure wish we could get CVA scouts in .223 or .222 here in the US.

Academy Sports sells the Stalker in .223 here.  The Stalker has a the action open lever like the Optima which is behind the trigger guard instead of in front like the Scout. 

As for the barrel, it is reamed to .223 and has .223 on the top of the barrel, but if you take the forearm off, it says .222 on the under side.  Bergara must originally make these barrels as .222 and then ream out to .223 depending on the market and mark on top.

Rosewood

Offline Waldyo

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »
Well, after a quick range test I can only say I am pretty happy, well OK very happy. The Winchester 45g HP's grouped a little better (it's a 3 shot group) than the 50g Fed PSP, still have to load some 40g Sierra Blitzkings to try which may even shrink the group a little more.
Cheers,
Waldyo