Author Topic: Handgun buying tips  (Read 925 times)

Offline Wolfe

• Trade Count: (0)
Handgun buying tips
« on: February 08, 2004, 08:07:42 AM »
I am a handgun noob :) I am looking to buy my first centerfire handgun. I am looking in the Ruger, CZ, springfield XD price range. My intended uses for this gun will be plinking/target shooting, carry sidearm while hunting and possible concealed carry, altho that is not a huge factor in my decision making process, it would be a nice option to have.
   I am looking for suggestions as to safety features to look for, caliber selection, and thought on specific models you may reccomend.
   I have been doing alot of reading and visiting the local gun shop and most guns seem to fit my hand fine as i have average sized hands. I am looking at getting a .40s&w intially and later possible getting a 9mm conversion barrel for it since it doesn't seem you can go the other way easily.
     I appreciate any and all info.
                   Wolfe

Offline green jeans

Handgun buying tips
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 11:54:45 AM »
I have a couple of Rugers and a couple of Glocks that I have had for quite a while. I have a Ruger P95 (9mm) and a P94 (40 cal.). The Rugers are big and not very pretty as pistols go, but in my experience will shoot anything you put in them, from the cheap Wolf steel case on up. Cannot remember that either of them has ever malfunctioned in any way. They are hard to beat for dependability and are American made. I'm not sure you will have much luck in obtaining caliber conversions for the pistols you mentioned, but there are people out there that know a lot more about that option than i do. Really can't go wrong with 40 cal. Easy to shoot in the bigger guns, stopping power, and good availability of inexpensive plinking rounds and "the good stuff". Just my opinion, but you can't go wrong with the Ruger.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Iowegan

• A Real Regular
Handgun buying tips
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 02:06:06 PM »
I agree with Green jeans, For a first gun (or even a second or third), you can't beat a Ruger P94 for reliability. The 40 S&W is an excellent cartridge that offers decent power and accuracy and won't send you to the poor house. I don't much care for 9mm's in any gun. They were a big fad a few years ago but look at what the Law Enforcement Agencies have done. Most have converted to the 40 S&W. The only thing good about 9mm's is the ammo is cheap.

After youi gain experience and confidance you can trade up or add another gun. Conversion kits cost quite a bit, so for a few more bucks you can buy another gun or a reloading press.
GLB

Offline Arc Angel

Handgun buying tips
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 02:08:21 PM »
:D   Wolfe, I'm not entirely sure that an auto is the way for you to go.  Based on your experience and stated priorities of intended use, may I direct your attention to a Ruger GP-100, with a 3" or 4" barrel, in 38spec. or 357mag.
Illegitimati Non Carborundum!

Offline Wolfe

Handgun buying tips
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 02:34:51 PM »
Conversion barrels for the XD line are relatively easy to find. The .40 and .357sig mags work as hi-caps in 9mm. I was all over getting a Ruger just wish they made a .40 in a polymer frame. Then i came across the XD line. They fit real nice and i like the grip safety. I am leaning towards them.
 As to the revolver suggestion. I have given that some thought, however I don't get to buy guns very often and when I do get the chance i really need to make sure it is what I think I want. :) I have always wanted a good semi-auto pistol and have never really cared for most revolvers. Just personal preferance.
Any of that make sense?

Offline jgalar

Handgun buying tips
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 02:35:05 PM »
In my oppinion the CZ is the best bang for the buck.

Offline Flinch

Handgun buying tips
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 03:40:31 PM »
I dont think you could go wrong with the XD 40 either. Accurate and reliable.

Offline Arc Angel

Handgun buying tips
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 05:33:02 PM »
 :)   As far as what's out on the table right now, I'll second the CZ recommendation.  Next, I'll bet you're on the lower side of 50.  So, I'll say this:  Frozen revolvers work better than frozen autos.  Besides, revolvers and 50 + hands and fingers seem to get along, better, together.   ;)   
Illegitimati Non Carborundum!

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Handgun buying tips
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 05:53:38 PM »
If you ever intend your sidearm to be one used for personal defense you must not sacrifice.  I carry Sig Sauer hanguns both for duty use and for concealed carry.  IMHO they are the best semi-autos around.  You wil pay more but it is worth it if your life is in question.

My recomendation would be the Sig P239 in 40 S&W.  It is a smaller sized handgun with single stack magazine.  You can buy factory or aftermarket barrels in .357 SIG if you feel the need for speed.  This gun set me back $525.  It's accurate, tough, and extremely reliable.  My vote.

Ranger413
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline cdbeaver

Handgun buying tips
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 11:54:38 AM »
I agree with ArcAngel. Unless you like to chase brass (I'm assuming you're going to reload eventually), the revolver is the way to go. The Ruger GP100 seems to be a good, relatively inexpensive, choice if you can be happy with a .38 Spcl or .357.

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
How about several of them?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 07:39:47 AM »
I have a Ruger GP100, and 3 CZ's, have thought about the Ruger Semi-autos and the XP too, might buy one of each as well.  But if you are looking for refinement in a semi-auto then the CZ's are the best choice, greater accuracy, nice triggers, and the cost won't break you.  

I like my GP100, but it finally saw some extensive shooting a month ago as it is fairly new and I noticed that the cylinder was binding up as the gun got dirty (80 rounds or so), there was little gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone, had to clean the gun good and use a file on the forcing cone to remove the dragging a tad, I know that the less air gap you have the better, so went easy on the filing.

I had an old Smith and Wesson Model 28 that worked really well, they are not as strong as the Sturms but they shoot nice.  Many people will buy several handguns as they go along, even if you get something you don't like, you can trade it off and get something else.  Or customize it with trigger springs, grips, etc.  This is a hobby that involves learning experiences.  Have fun. :grin:

Offline OTTOMATIC

Handgun buying tips
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 11:08:52 AM »
Personally I would buy an older S&W.  3" or 4" Mod 19. It won't go down in value, would fit just about all your criertera, except the "concealability" part.  Or you could look for used Series 1 Kimber Custom Carry......................OTTO

Offline HogSniper2

Handgun buying tips
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 12:03:43 PM »
Select any S&W, Ruger or Taurus REVOLVER in 357.  You can drop in 38 rounds to begin practicing proper technique.  Then for more umphh, drop in the magnum rounds.  Can't go wrong with a revolver to start.  Unless you simply want an automatic.  Just my 2 cents...

Offline Raging480

• Avid Poster
Handgun buying tips
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 05:43:39 PM »
Even before I read all of these posts, I was thinking about bringing up the idea of a revolver.  I actually started out with a .40 cal semi, and then a .22 semiauto, but I have really fallen in love with revolvers, especially used S&W.  And before reading OTTOMATIC's post, I was actually thinking of a 3" model 19 or 66, because either one would fit your needs quite well.  I can respect your opinion if you are set against revolvers.  But in my opinion, they are easier to use, easier to clean, just as easy to conceal, possibly less costly, and REALLY COOL LOOKING!   And comparing calibers, a gun that will shoot .38 spcl, .38+p, and .357, will do alot for you.
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

Offline MarkJ_Thompson

Handgun Noob?
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2004, 03:36:12 PM »
All great choices in this thread. My only concern is you say you are a Handgun Noob. If you are in fact a Noob and you wanted to learn to use a handgun effectively I would suggest a rimfire...(pause for odd looks my way)...a Ruger MKII or MKII 22/45 ($250-300) would let you get in many hours of practice and little expense in ammo cost. It is an excellent handgun to accompany you hunting and in a pinch makes bad guys run. There are many barrel lengths and types to choose from if you decide to conceal it.

If you are stuck on a center-fire to start with, I would suggest a 4" 357MAG. in a Taurus or Ruger to keep the cost down. Use 38SPL in the weapon until you get comfortable with the trigger control and sight acquisition then move up to 357MAG load. You should be able to find these revolvers under $400 new.

Just one man's opinion...

Offline Wolfe

Handgun buying tips
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2004, 10:37:01 PM »
Actually have a Ruger mark1. It is a fun pistol to shoot. I agree it is a good first handgun. I'll give the revolver idea some more thought but will prolly end up getting a SA xd9. Feels really good in my hand.

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Handgun buying tips
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2004, 04:18:55 AM »
If starting with rimfire, Ruger mark II is great...

Smith & Wesson is a great way to go with used quality revolvers.  I have pistols and revolvers and MarK II's.  If I was to "start over", it would be with fundamentals in mind.  That means I would get a Smith modle 17 (or K-22) with a 6 inch barrel, then a modle 14 (or K-38 Target Masterpiece) with a 6 inch barrel, and then a Modle 19.

Yes these are all revolvers, all smiths, all K frames.  This is where I have evolved to and I believe it is a great starting point.  Later I would think pistols, and you will have to have a 1911 clone, and a Browning High power.  Stay away from plastic firearms unless it is a weight issue for carry.  

For personal protection you can not beat a revolver...it will work.  Even if you have a dud, just pull the trigger again, lets see you do that with a pistol.

Have fun, do what pleases you.
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.