Author Topic: Early season Insects  (Read 932 times)

Offline ronbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Early season Insects
« on: September 03, 2012, 06:01:26 AM »
Time to trot out this low cost insecticide/repellant.
This a treatment for clothing, boots, fabric only, NOT BARE SKIN. If you hunt nekkid do not use this.
Comercial (ie Sawyers) permethrin sells for about $8 per 12 or 14 oz. and is 0.5% permethrin (that is 0.005 not .05 which is 5%). You can purchase a 16 oz. bottle of  "Hi-Yield Indoor/Outdoor Broad Use Insecticide" which is 10% (.10) permethrin for $12 to $15.
To make the 0.5% mix use 1oz. of Hi-Yield per 20oz. of water. Mathematically this 1 oz. of .10 (10%) divided by 20 oz. of 0% giving 0.005 or 0.5%.
Shake the high yield vigoursly and mix with the water in a spray bottle, shake mixture and spray on clothing(not while you are wearing the clothing) and allow to dry. This stuff binds to the fabric and will last through a couple of washings. No odor.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Early season Insects
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 04:09:42 PM »
Glad that I am not the only one that uses Permethrin in 0.50%.  Some folks here use it in 1.0% and 2.0% mixes, depending on Chiggers.

Check out this QDMA Thread for more on Permethrin: http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5088

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
Glad that I am not the only one that uses Permethrin in 0.50%.  Some folks here use it in 1.0% and 2.0% mixes, depending on Chiggers.

Check out this QDMA Thread for more on Permethrin: http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5088

I think you are the one who posted this formula originally. It has saved me many many skeeter bites and mucho $$. I sold that dam bug tamer gawdawful hot jacket. I hunt exclusively in the jungle (Florida). Many thanks.
Did you also post the scent killer formula?

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »
No to the Scent Killer formula, but if you care to share it, we'll acknowledge you for sharing it.

I found that Ace Hardware (and the Net) sells "High Yield 38 Plus" bug juice in 16 ounce bottles containing 38% Permethrin.  It isn't expensive (~$27.99 a bottle http://stores.ukillem.com/Detail.bok?no=24 ), but diluted to 0.50% is 9.5 gallons of solution as below:

HI-YIELD   Permethrin         
      16   oz   (equals   0.125   gallons)
             x
      38.00%   Concentration
        equals   
      6.08   oz of 100% Permethrin

Divided by             
       0.50%   concentration of mixture            

equals               
       1216   oz   of 0.50% percentage mixture, which is   9.5  gallons @ 0.50% percent Permethrin.   

If you find Permethrin in other concentrations, substitute your concentration into the sequence above.         

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 11:41:06 PM »
thats one good thing about living in the cold north. By hunting season most of the bugs are gone.
blue lives matter

Offline spruce

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:18:08 PM »
I live in the north, but it sure works to keep the woodticks off when I'm cutting wood, berry picking, hunting mushrooms, etc.

Been using Land Owner's formula ever since he posted it - has saved me a lot of money!

Thanks Land Owner.