Author Topic: The Ruger American 308  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Sandback

• Trade Count: (0)
The Ruger American 308
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:18:08 PM »
 A while back I had given my son his first big game rifle, a Savage 99 Deluxe in 308 Winchester.  And not just any Model 99 - mine.  I had purchased this fine rifle second hand when I was 16 years old.  I learned to appreciate that rifle and that caliber as I carried it on many hunts over the years.  With it, I had put meat in the freezer many a time.  I was very pleased to pass on not just a rifle, but a history to my boy. 

It didn’t take very long for me to feel that something wasn’t quite right.  While I was pleased that my son now hunted with the rifle I had carried for so long, I found that I missed the versatility of the 308 Winchester.  There was a gap in my hunting tools, and I needed to do something about it.  I checked with my wife, who stated unequivocally that it would be tacky to take my Model 99 back from my son.  So I had to look elsewhere.

Since my noble, if shortsighted, act of giving my son my rifle, I had been in the market for a low cost hunting rifle in 308 Winchester.  What I had been looking for was an out of the box shooter that wouldn’t break the bank.  The rifle I had my eye on was the Savage Weather Warrior in 308.  I liked the Savage line, and this model would have the Accu-Trigger and the Accu-Stock options.  It had a reputation as a very accurate rifle out of the box, and was under $500 (at the time I stared looking).  I had little luck in finding this rifle.  It seemed to always be on back order.  The order I placed remained unfulfilled for more than a year until the dealer came back to me and stated that he couldn’t get the rifle and was cancelling the order.  In the meantime, the price on the Savage kept creeping up until it was hovering around $700.  Now it was in the same price range as the Remington 700, arguably the baseline standard for a quality, accurate, reliable, affordable rifle.  I was beginning to think that I was going to have to accept spending at least $650 for my next 308.

Then Savage introduced the Axis, Remington the 770, and now I had a couple of options.  Then Ruger announced the Ruger American in 308.   

I confess to being a Ruger fan.  My first wheel gun was a Ruger Single Six 22/22Mag.  I currently own more than a dozen Ruger firearms in both short guns and rifles, in calibers from 22LR through 480 Ruger.  Other than the hideously ugly Zytel stock on one of my model 77s, I have had no complaints or problems with any of my Ruger firearms.  So I was hoping that the Ruger American would be a decent rifle.

But I was skeptical.  How could Ruger produce a solid, reliable, accurate rifle and market it for under $400?  There had to be shortcuts.  So I waited.  I lurked in the forums and read all of the reviews.  I waited for the indication that Ruger had built a lemon. 

Oh cruel fate!  A local gun store had a sale and listed the Ruger American in 308 for just $325.  I couldn’t pass that up.  But what if it sucked?  On the other hand, what if it didn’t?  Trusting in Ruger, and with a shrug of the shoulders, I went and bought one.  I figured to test this new rifle and let others know of what I discovered

The Build

My son not only retained my beloved Savage 99CD, but he also had purchased a Remington 700 in the same 308 caliber.  I called him to see if he would help me test the Ruger American out.  My intent was to see how the Ruger compared to the Remington 700, again, arguably the standard in affordable, bolt action rifles.  I pitched the idea to my son, and he immediately agreed. 

We wanted to eliminate as many variables as possible.  So our plan was to put the same model scope on both rifles.  Shoot the same ammo, on the same day, at the same range.  Both of us would shoot both rifles to eliminate any individual shooter issues. 

In keeping with my goal of building an inexpensive shooter, I went with the Simmons Whitetail Classic scope from MidwayUSA.  These are a bit plus sized (6.5-20x 50mm), but still made in the Philippines with good glass and having a good reputation for a budget optic. 

I utilized Warne Maxima rings on the Ruger, and put Remington Integral rings on the the 700.  I did replace the aluminum bases on the Ruger with Weaver steel bases. 

The Test

We bore sighted both rifles and used some Federal blue box to get the scopes dialed in.   I had acquired two boxes of Federal Gold Medal 168gr match ammunition for the comparison. 

Once the scopes were printing where we needed them to, we set the rifles aside to cool down.   It was time to see how the Ruger American would perform.
  The day of the test was overcast.  We used an IR temperature gun to measure temperatures.  I quick zap of a few points around us established that it was a balmy 57 degrees outside.  Humidity, as measured by the wonder of the iPhone (used to check the weather conditions at the local airport) was 72%.  There was absolutely no wind at all on the day of the test.  We were at sea level.  We used a laser rangefinder to verify the range was 100yds.  Bottom line:  A perfect day for testing.

Our plan was to set both scopes to the same magnification.  Set the target at 100 yards.  The first shooter (Shooter #1) would fire three rounds in three minutes from the Remington 700.  We’d measure the barrel temperature before shooting the group, and then after the three shots.  Switch rifles and repeat.  Then wait for the rifles to cool back down to the starting temperatures and repeat the sequence with Shooter #2.

The results…

We fired the test pattern several times and had repeatable results.  I am only including one set of targets from each shooter to show our findings (the other targets showed similar groupings.) The Ruger shot tighter groups (1/2 moa) than the Remy 700 (1.25 moa) for both shooters.  Clearly, the Ruger American compares well with the Remington 700 for out of the box accuracy. 

Individual shooter observations on the Ruger American

Shooter 1

I was pleasantly surprised as to how the Ruger American exceeded our expectations, with the doubts that we held due to the price. The Ruger American followed my Dad home for less than half of the price I paid to bring my Remington 700 home. What I did not expect, was for the Ruger American to outperform my rifle by a landslide.

Pros

The first thing I notice about the Ruger compared to the Remington was the trigger. The stock trigger of the Ruger was crisp, and set at the perfect tension.

The Ruger’s barrel maintained a consistently lower temperature than the Remy. After three shots with an average of 30 seconds per shot by each shooter, the Ruger’s barrel temperature maintained a cooler low 80’s compared to the Remington’s high 90s. Additionally, the Ruger’s barrel cooled down significantly faster than the Remy.

The Ruger’s free floating barrel gave enough room for a dollar bill to slide around the barrel, all the way to the chamber, whereas George Washington got stuck in the Remy.

Overall between the crisp trigger, the cooler temperature, and the free floating barrel, the Ruger American highly deserves its first place prize.

Cons

The Ruger American is a light rifle, weighing in at a featherweight total of 6 lbs and 5 ounces.  The recoil was not unbearable by any means, but definitely had a harsher bite than the Remington. 

With all of the effort Ruger put in to designing a fantastic shooter, all of their brainpower must have been used up to forget the last touch. There was no cheek plate, making a good comfortable sight picture difficult to achieve. Overall the Remington was significantly more comfortable to shoot.

The Ruger has a detachable box magazine, that just didn’t feel right. It never felt like it seated all the way. There is most likely an aftermarket magazine that wouldn’t feel “cheap” for lack of a better word. Nothing further to be said about it, I just didn’t like it. 

Bottom line, the Ruger American performed far better than expected shooting sub MOA out of the box for $400… Well Done Ruger!

Shooter 2

Pros

The trigger is fantastic.  Clean, crisp, and broke at what I estimate to be approximately 3 lbs. 

Safety is located on the tang, where I can work it without changing my grip.

Cons

The magazine is made completely of plastic.  It didn’t give a positive feel of locking into place when inserted, and it rattled a bit in the magazine well.  Overall felt very cheap.  I am hoping that the magazine proves reliable, but my initial impression of it was not good.  Other than one instance in not getting the magazine properly seated, we had no feeding problems with the magazine throughout the testing.

I don’t understand why Ruger would manufacture a rifle without iron sights, include pre-mounted Weaver bases, and then put a stock on the rifle that doesn’t have a Monte-Carlo cheek pad. The existing stock places your line of sight so far below the scope that it is almost impossible to get a proper cheek to stock weld and still see through the scope.  I know we had a 50mm scope mounted, which really exacerbated this issue, but even a 20mm scope would be difficult to get your eyeball on with the out of the box stock configuration.  I know that you can use your serial number and call Ruger to get a free, strap-on cheek pad, but really?  Would it have raised the cost that much to have a scope friendly stock on this rifle? 

Neutral

Recoil was noticeably more than with the Remington 700, but not uncomfortable at all.  Apparently Sir Isaac Newton's Laws are still in effect.

Other observations:

I was surprised that the Remy didn’t fair better.  A quick dollar bill in the barrel channel of the 700 indicated that the free floating… wasn’t.  Additionally, the integral rings for the 700 are 30mm with a sleeve to bring them down to 1”.  While the groups fired from the Remy with both shooters were repeatable and consistent, indicating that the scope was securely attached to the rifle, I still have to wonder about those sleeves. 

The stock trigger on the 700 was a LOT heavier than the Ruger American, which I am sure contributed significantly to the wider groups of the Remy. 

I expected the Ruger’s light sporter barrel to heat up quickly and demonstrate more effect from the heat than the Remy.  So as part of the test, we measured the temperature rise between groups.  Much to my surprise, the Remy heated up quicker, and to a higher temperature than the Ruger did.   Weird.

Conclusions:

The Ruger American looks like a winner.  It shot ½ MOA out of the box, the only “mod” being replacing the aluminum Weaver bases with steel ones.  The trigger is excellent.  Other than the absent cheek pad for the stock and the chintzy feeling magazine, I found the package to be great value and an excellent performer. 

- Sandback

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: The Ruger American 308
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »
The term " American" should be a dead give away concerning the lack of a monte carlo stock on the Ruger American.  If you look at the CZ 550 " American" it also has an " American" style stock which sports no raised cheek rest.  BTW, a young friend I shoot with has a Ruger American chambered in 30/06 that shoots one ragged hole 4 round groups at 100 yds with hand loaded ammo.  I think Ruger put this one over the top when compared to their competition, including their own M77.

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 11:45:41 AM »
I for one am not crazy about a Monte Carlo stock. It sounds like Ruger did a great job for that price range. Some guys complain about the Mod 77 accuracy but my 77 in 350RM is a tack driver.

Offline kbstenberg

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 02:56:16 PM »
I saw my first R  American last weekend. And I really like it. That night I happened to see your post. The next day I went to my favorite gun store. Looked them over good. They didn't have a 308 but they did have an 06. I put a deposit down on one. If they can find a 308 in a couple of weeks its mine. Otherwise I get the 3006.
Kevin

Offline ardeekay

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 08:18:51 AM »
I went out today,  my Ruger American, in 308,  put ( 51.5 gr. 748, 130 Barnes 3x)  3 shots into .74" at 100 yds..  I've been hearing that this 130gr  .308 cal. Barnes is wicked on deer, so I had to try it for accuracy.  Note that WW 'power-max' 150's (308) did 1" at 100... nice for factory ammo..  Bob

Offline Sandback

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:27:56 AM »
ardeekay - Congratz.  Looks like you have a shooter.  I am glad to hear that my RAR is the norm, and not an anomaly.

kbstenberg - Good luck!  Both are great cartridges and will serve you well.  Post whatever you finally end up with and how it shoots!

Scott

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 07:35:39 AM »
I just bought a Ruger American in .308.  I mounted a 4X-32 Simmons..haven't yet fired it, but with tyhe 70 degree bolt lift, I was able to mount bthe scope so low that the monte Carlo was completely unnecessary.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline kbstenberg

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 03:37:08 PM »
  I still don't have mine yet. With the talk of not being able to firmly put your cheek against the stock during aiming. What mite anyone suggest to add to the stock so a person can firmly hold there cheek on the stock. I am at a greater disadvantage since I'm a lefty.
  I'm too cheap. So all my gun will be shooting will be my cast bullets.

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 03:42:56 AM »
I checked them out at a gun shop the other day and they seem nice. I think one of the things that make them accurate is they have steel bedding blocks in the stock. If I didn't have thirty five rifles already I would buy one.

Offline Sandback

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 06:49:04 AM »
 ironglow - You nailed it. I mounted my "plus-sized" Simmons on high rings based on best guess combined with coventional wisdom - that 50mm bell scopes require high or very high rings.  After mounting the scope, two things became apparent - the barrel taper occurs earlier and more dramatically than other rifles (allowing for a lot more clearance for the bell, or lower rings) and that 70 degree bolt doesn't come near the scope body.  Lower rings could have been used, and if I had a 40mm bell vice my big girl, then I beleive the stock ergonomics would have much less of an issue.
In my case, I acquired an Accu-riser cheek pad and mounted it on the Ruger American.  I now have a very nice cheek to stock weld that lines up for perfect eye position and relief.  kbstenberg - I wholeheartedly recommend the accu-riser stock over the strap on cordura cheek pads that seem to be the trend.  The accu-riser has the option to be permanently attached to the stock, and is firm (vice squishy, which I don't feel lends well to consistent positioning).  You can get the Accu-riser at their web site (accu-riser.com w/free shipping), or Amazon.com.  And as a less expensive option, Ruger offers a code for a free cheek pad when you register your Ruger American online.  FYI - You must call in your order to use the code.  Online ordering precludes use of the code, and if you didn't copy it down from your screen when you registered your RAR, it is gone forever - there is no way to go back and reclaim the code. 
I have the accuriser, and couldn't be happier.  But as ironglow indicated, with a normal size scope, you may not need a cheek pad at all.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 07:28:49 PM »
Sandback, thanks for such an informative post!  I recently started working in a sporting goods store and we have sold several Americans, can't keep em on the shelf in fact.  I've only had one guy come back to say he loved his, VERY accurate.  We always hear about the bad ones right away, good news travels slowly.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 01:31:06 PM »
  I probably have a different facial structure, so I didn't need a Monte Carlo on mine, which was probably aided by the low scope mounting.
   That being said, here are a couple videos which may be informative, concerning the Ruger American (personally, I think it is a whale of a bargain):
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx26f0BgCU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R05S-4fBIzI&feature=related

All this and 100% American made...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 02:00:50 PM »
Perhaps Ruger has finally produced an accurate longgun.  What a novelty.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 08:33:12 AM »
When I saw you were the last one that posted Swampy, I knew that was coming. :o 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 09:28:11 AM »
Wonder why he chose to talk about Ruger instead the less than MOA Remington ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 09:29:54 AM »
I've dumped about $2500.00 worth of new Ruger longguns this year because they were very inaccurate.  I hope this new one makes me wrong.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 09:31:28 AM »
But to be fair the test wasn't really a good test as guns often like different ammo. What was found out was the Ruger liked the ammo and the Remington may improve with a different diet. We also found out like many who have shot Rugers over the years is they can shoot very well.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 09:35:08 AM »
I've dumped about $2500.00 worth of new Ruger longguns this year because they were very inaccurate.  I hope this new one makes me wrong.

If I were you I would stay away from lotto tickets  ;D my Rugers shoot very well for some reason .

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 09:50:10 AM »
I ran a bunch of different commerical ammo and handloads through mine.  Accuracy was terrible.  I'll never buy another centerfire Ruger rifle.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 09:51:09 AM »
All kidding aside that's a shame .

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 11:34:57 AM »
Outdoor Life doesn't agree with Swampy.. ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XxXeU2FzwI

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 12:15:32 PM »
I haven't said anything negative about the American.  I hope they've finally built an accurate longgun.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 03:04:55 PM »
I haven't said anything negative about the American.  I hope they've finally built an accurate longgun.

They did! What the rifle is capable of has zero to do with other Rugers as it is built in a totally different way, esp. the bedding design.
I bought a 308 & have just begun shooting it & I am quite impressed.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 03:42:30 PM »
The #1, the M77, the Mini-14, and the Mini-30 are all built differently but they are all inaccurate.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 04:14:16 PM »
The #1, the M77, the Mini-14, and the Mini-30 are all built differently but they are all inaccurate.

I thought it would be understood that I was in reference to their other bolt guns, it's obvious I was not speaking of autos, etc. which anyone knows would have to be made differently. Only pointing out that how a M77 performs really has no relevance in this matter. And I agree that Ruger in general is not the first rifle thought of when it comes to accuracy & also why this new American is the only Ruger bolt rifle in my safe.

But about the Number One's, some of the new Number Ones made in the last few years shoot very well. I have a new Lipsey 264WM that is doing very well indeed. Barness & others have made note of that alot lately, I was skeptical but proven wrong.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline mnh2obuff

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 03:23:05 AM »
I shot my.308 RAR for the first time the other day and got less that an inch group at 50 yards. (I'm recovering from eye surgery so am not quit ready to shoot farther yet.) I was using 37.0 g of Varget with Hornady 150 g BTFMJ. I have a 3-9x Redfield scope on the rifle. The rifle functioned flawlessly. I'm happy with it.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 07:25:04 AM »
I can't take it anymore... I'm getting one!! ;D

Spanky

Offline Harry Snippe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 02:43:06 PM »
I can't take it anymore... I'm getting one!! ;D

Spanky
[/quote
Yeah Doctor said . Buy a rifle and have it scoped , along with two box's of ammo , then call in the Morning . Range time !! :) :)
Happy

Offline Steve E

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 05:58:58 PM »
Swampman

I have a Ruger M77 RSI in 250-3000 and it is one of the most accurate rifles I own and I own over a dozen rifles (4 are Rugers), one of my other accurate rifles in a Ruger 10-22 Stainless. I'm sure there are inaccurate Ruger rifles out there like yours, they did have a problem with barrels at one time several years ago. Could yours have been one of those?

Steve E.........
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »
  I got my Ruger American to my woods and sighted it in yesterday...no problem ..the Simmons Pro-Sport 4X dialed right in.  I was shooting from a wobbly table and no special rest, so I made no measures..it wouldn't be fair.  ..But I'll tell you this, Many years ago I shot "expert" regularly as a soldier... and this Ruger can shoot better than I can...