Author Topic: Barnes Tipped Triple-Shock X Bullets (358 Diameter) 180 Grain Spitzer 357 max?  (Read 565 times)

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
Barnes Tipped Triple-Shock X Bullets 35 Caliber (358 Diameter) 180 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail ?  Has anyone ever loaded these for their 357 Maximum?  wanting to try them out of a 10" and 23" Contender for deer.
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
The Barnes TSX is .26 inches longer than the SSP.  My first question is will it chamber?  Can the Max push it fast enough to open up?  Probably worth a call to Barnes.

Offline spinafish

what YRU said..I bet you are going to have a very expensive FMJ
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline YRUpunting?

I'm deer hunting this year with a Max Handi, so I was curious when I saw your post.  I had a minute free so I called Barnes and they said 1900 fps minimum for expansion.  I think it would be a great bullet at 50 yds.  Mine shoots the 180gr SSP well and I have a box of 180gr XTP to try.  Good luck!

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
I'm deer hunting this year with a Max Handi, so I was curious when I saw your post.  I had a minute free so I called Barnes and they said 1900 fps minimum for expansion.  I think it would be a great bullet at 50 yds.  Mine shoots the 180gr SSP well and I have a box of 180gr XTP to try.  Good luck!

Thank you for taking the time to call them.  180gr XTP is a deer kill machine have taken several now with my 10" 357 max contender.  they perform great.  I have been skeptical of the 180gr Hornady ssp.  They shoot great, but the expantion test I did didn't impress me much.  I don't think I was pushing them fast enough from the 10" barrel. 
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html