Author Topic: The BEST barrel fitting method...  (Read 560 times)

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
The BEST barrel fitting method...
« on: September 03, 2012, 03:27:05 PM »
I have a number of Handi centerfires and multiple barrel sets... I have fitted barrels to receivers many times... normally my base guns are ordered through my LGS... barrels mostly purchased online... then the fitting begins... you know that routine.
This time I went a different route (for those of you who have already figured this out and done this, please disregard  ;) )...
I have a .243/.308 Win Ultra set... I had purchased a .7mm/08 Rem barrel and was looking to put together another set with .223 Rem...
There was a retailer about three hours away that had eight .223 Handi's in stock... as luck would have it, I was going to be within an hour of the shop on a vacation... so I called ahead and asked if they would mind if I tried my 7mm/08 barrel on multiple .223 receiver's (I promised that I would walk out of the store with a gun... and powder, and bullets and ammo, and dies etc...etc... you know the routine)... The sales clerk said, "no problem." So I went in and tried the 7mm/08 barrel on eight different receivers... and as luck would have it, the final one was a perfect fit, with zero waggle and full engagement... (some of the fits were horrible, others were close) I also tried the new .223 barrel and 7mm/08 barrel on my Winchester set SB2 frame and vice versa... ALL four barrels lock up tight and secure on both frames... perfect, as both Ultra rifles and all four scoped barrels fit into a single Plano Double Scoped Rifle case.
This has been a far better way to go for me than, the usual "bubblegum and bailer twine" methods.
Just a thought I would put it out there in case it has taken any of you as long as me to figure this option out (not likely).  ;D   

Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: The BEST barrel fitting method...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 03:36:24 PM »
That's the advantage of having lots of frames, as in 40 some SB2 for me, then the chances increase considerably that any barrel you find will fit perfectly to one of more of them, or it won't take much to make it fit, a slight adjustment of the latch shelf or a little off the barrel face since 90% of em aren't true and need it anyway.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »
That's the advantage of having lots of frames, as in 40 some SB2 for me, then the chances increase considerably that any barrel you find will fit perfectly to one of more of them, or it won't take much to make it fit, a slight adjustment of the latch shelf or a little off the barrel face since 90% of em aren't true and need it anyway.  ;)

Tim
Tim, I have seen your massive collection... mine is miniscule by comparison... I have five SB2 frames and two SB1 frames and a dozen or so barrels... but I have been trying to match up two or three dedicated barrels to each receiver... they each have been fitted and trued and tested with an "on/off" range procedure.... to ensure that they hold zero and have repeatable performance with minimal adjustment required.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 07:04:58 AM »
Such an elegant solution.......glad they worked with you!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974