Author Topic: rifle suggestions  (Read 964 times)

Offline koivu

• Trade Count: (0)
rifle suggestions
« on: February 08, 2004, 10:43:29 AM »
I have a 30-06 Sako AV and various other rifles such as a model 94 and model 100 in 308, but I am considering getting a lighter rifle for white tail and mule deer.  I'm hunting in a fairly varied type of terrain.  Last year it was mostly in pretty close bush so shots were not over 150 yards.  There are some open cut over areas which could involve longer shots, but I try to avoid them.  My Sako is a great rifle but weighs in at 9 1/2 lbs with the scope.  I'm 5'6" and would like to pick up a smaller rifle, smaller caliber for hupping around.  I was looking at the Winchester compact classic or a Remington model 7.  Recoil is another factor and I would like to keep that pretty comfortable.  Suggestions for caliber and makes? I'm leaning towards a bolt gun.  Thanks for the input.

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
rifle suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 12:02:42 PM »
I think a lot of people would agree that the .243 is about as light as you would want to go to hunt Whitetail and Mule deer.  Some may argue that the .243 is too light for Mule deer.  The Winchester featherweight in .243 is a pretty light and maneuvreable rifle.  I have one of these in this cartridge that I bought last September and am still getting accustomed to.

Other cartridges in this light area may include 6 mm Remington, .240 Weatherby magnum.

Stepping up a bit gets in in the .257 Roberts, .25-06, and .257 Weatherby magnum area.  These are more powerful cartridges, but still well lighter than your .30-06.  I don't think anyone would have reservations about the .25-06 or .257 Weatherby magnum taking Mule deer.

Offline HuntingGuy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
rifle suggestions
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 12:10:52 PM »
Howdy-

I own a Remington Model Seven Stainless 260. I am more than satisfied with it. It is a great gun and light recoil. I use 140 gr. bullets with it.

Best of luck to you,
HuntingGuy
HuntingGuy
Hunting in Minnesota Moderator

"You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline skoutfitter

rifle suggestions
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 01:09:17 PM »
You will not go wrong with one of the model sevens.  I have one in 7mm-08 and another in .260 youth for compact carrying.  Both are tack drivers and very light to carry and the 260 has little recoil and does very well on whitetail deer.  I would suggest a nosler partition bullet for deer and you can even get bullets down to 90 gr. for varmints.  Happy Hunting.   :-)
Never forget the Creator who makes it all possible  <><

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
rifle suggestions
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 07:07:06 PM »
All the above posts have good choices. Your rifle make and model is more a personal choice, but I would like to throw my hat in the ring for caliber. I would suggest you consider the 6.5x55 Swedish mauser. It is a mighty fine caliber that covers all of your bases: low recoil, plenty of power for deer and even elk at modest ranges, one of the most inherently accurate calibers ever made.

I stumbled across a Kimber-sporterized version of the M96 in 6.5x55 with a stainless barrel and synthetic stock. After a little research I found out that they made these (still make some?) for a while, so there are some out there. The little "Kimber", as I call it, must weigh in at around a scant 6 lbs soaking wet with a 22" barrel and a 44mm objective scope. It shoots the 140 grain factory loads with very modest recoil, and it shoots sub-1" groups at 100 yards. Only problem is I can't pick it up without my 13 year-old daughter complaining -- it's really HER gun, and she loves it!

The .260 Rem is a very close sister of the Swede, so if you can't find a nice lightweight one like I did, you might go that direction. 8)
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
rifle suggestions
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 06:04:25 AM »
You will not find a rifle better suited to your needs than the Remington Model 7 in either .260 or 7-08. They are basically twins. I prefer the 7-08 just because I am a bit partial to the 7MM bore as opposed to the 6.5MM bore. There is a far better supply of factory ammo if that is a concern for the 7-08 and more component bullets but there is an adequate supply of both for either.

My wife and I both use the 7-08, hers is still an original wood stocked M7 I bought not so long after they came out with them. Mine is now a M700 LSS Mtn. Rifle I bought to replace my M7 SS which I bought when I gave her the old M7. All have been in 7-08. It is a mild mannered round that is an excellent deer killer.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Don Dick

• Avid Poster
rifle suggestions
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 12:31:55 AM »
I like my 7mm-08 in the Remington mountain rifle.
Some people come into our lives and quickly go.  Some stay awhile and leave footprints on our hearts.  And we are never.  Ever the same.   Authur unknown.  In memory of my son Jonathan.

Offline AAAJohn

rifle suggestions
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 04:16:21 AM »
7MM08 in the model 7 Rem. is a great choice. I have one, but with factory ammo it's lacking in accuracy, but with hand loads it will connect holes at 100 yds.
Another fine rifle is the 600 or 660 Rem. either in 243 or 308. It's the same size as the model 7 and I have hunted with mine in 308 for about 8 yrs. and just can't seem to lay it down to try the model 7. My 660 in 308 kicks the snot out of me when I'm just target shooting but never feel it when shooting at game.

Offline flintlock

rifle suggestions
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 04:47:42 AM »
You could also try the Rem ADL youth...I've got a buddy about your height and he bought one in .243 for his daughter...his will group under 3/4 inch with Hornadys...daughter killed a doe with this year...he liked so much that he parked his 30-06 Rem auto...and killed a nice 10pt with...
It would be less $ than the model 7 or the Mtn rifle...although I have a brother and buddy that own these in .260 and 7mm08...both like and have killed a lot of deer with...I'd love to have a Mtn rifle...but they don't make it in .243...Good Luck!!!

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
rifle suggestions
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 07:30:47 AM »
Get a 243 or 260 Remington in a rifle that you like. Don't tell all the mule deer that have been killed with a 243 that it's too light. It'll get it done all the way accross the canyon.
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline wpayne

rifle suggestions
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 01:44:27 PM »
The 25-06 is certainly quick death for the whitetail and I'm sure has killed it's share of mule deer as well but in your shoes I would have to say a smaller rifle in 7mm-08.  I think the greater bullet selection will play to you advantage with the 7mm than a .25cal and recoil is very similar.  It is certainly easier to get a smaller/lighter rifle in the 7mm-08 than the 25-06.

I'd look at a Remington model 7 or a 700 mountain in 7mm-08.

Offline BUCKWILD

rifle suggestions
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 02:58:55 PM »
You can't go wrong with the remington 700 mtn. rifle. In .260 or 7-08 recoil is not a factor. At only 6.5 lbs. out of the box it's short and light so all day hike is no problem. To me the option of detachable mag. is a plus for 700 over model 7. either round loaded with a good quality 140 gr. bullet will take any whitetail or mule deer walking.                                                                                                                              Good luck.  Buckwild

Offline NYH1

rifle suggestions
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2004, 04:43:52 PM »
Ruger has a compact rifle to, it has a 16" barrel and is super light. It comes in 243, 260, 7-08 and 308. I like the 308, but it will recoil the most especially in this rifle.
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Gregory

rifle suggestions
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2004, 12:43:50 PM »
Not too many companies make compact bolt guns for us lefties.  Browning does.  I own an Abolt stainless stalker LH in 25/06 but their Micro Hunter intrigues me.  For deer 7-08 for coyotes 243.  I wish they would chamber the left hand Hunter model in standard calibers, they are only chambered for the WSM family.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)