Author Topic: Torque wrenchs?  (Read 1286 times)

Offline geartow

• Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Torque wrenchs?
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:47:52 AM »
Are you using a torque wrench or driver to mount scopes? If so which one ? And have you seen  a difference over just tightening them down to they are good an tight ? Are the worth the investment ?

Thanks PAT
Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
Re: Torque wrenchs?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 04:52:49 AM »
Guess it would be a personal choice thing.   In the 50 odd years I've been mounting scopes I have only used the ones built right into my hands, and never had a problem of screws coming loose or damaging scope tubes.   The right "feel" came from doing it endless times I suppose.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 06:39:22 AM »
I have always gone by "feel" using the supplied allen/torx, or a B-Square driver kit.  Once I did use a craftsman torque wrench to mount a M1a scope mount, as the directions for the mounting bolt were pretty specific.  That said, a good torque wrench is a good idea, as a lot of folks tend to use to much torque, stripping and damaging screws, especially with aluminum mounts.  I have used a drop of Lock Tite Blue on mounting screws for years, and never had one come loose from recoil.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 11:39:40 AM »
For most of my life I've just used the supplied wrenches or another similar one. I've even used my Brownell's screw driver set to tighten them but no more. Several years ago I bought this tool from Midsouth Shooter's Supply a GBO Sponsor.

A link to it on their site is: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00223TW1 price is: $17.42. It is currently out of stock there but lots of other companies sell it and Midsouth will have it again soon most likely.

Since buying it I've not put a scope on without using it. Likely won't again. Yes it works just fine and gives both proper and even torque to all the screws.

Sure the old way still works but I love this little tool.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 02:13:15 PM »
that's a nice tool
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 04:20:00 AM »
I use that yellow torque driver from Midway....got it as an CHRISTmas present years ago.  I'm surprised, but I use it all the time for mounting scopes to reassembling rifles.  As a test I used different torques for receiver screws on a rem700 and the accuracy/POI did change.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 07:21:53 AM »
I use the FAT Wrench for the same reason, it's not just for scope mounting.  ;)

Tim

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00094553556
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 01:35:16 PM »
Ditto on Fat Wrench.

Offline wmdron

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 11:37:49 AM »
Bought a KD tools torsion type inch/pound torque wrench from amazon a while back. At the time it was about $30 shipped. I like the idea that I am now sure I'm not over tightening, I've heard this can damage a scope. Although I can't imagine I would ever torque  scope rings down enough to cause damage even without a torque wrench, but I wanted to be sure. The KD wrench is not a bad tool but i've noticed Amazon has upped the price on it to $42( I guess they sold too many) I would probably buy the fat wrench now as the prices are very close. I bought this tool because it was relatively cheap and I didn't want to invest a lot of money in a tool that I don't use much. If I wanted a really good one and didn't mind spending about $100 I would check out the "Borka" torque wrench I understand they are quite good. Ron...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DeckH

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 12:50:43 PM »
Use the 1/4 inch drive; inch pounds torque wrench from Harbor Freight.  My friend uses the one from Midway.  Both work fine, especially torquing the action screws.

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 01:04:35 PM »
I have a Wiha I didn't buy it just for mounting scopes.But since I have it I use it.Rings especially aluminum don't require much torque.

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
I have the Fat Wrench from Midway that I use.

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.