Author Topic: 110v Welder  (Read 4514 times)

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 110v Welder
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 01:23:39 PM »
actually the duty cycle stands for the amount of time you can weld continuosly in a 10 minute period. 20% duty means you can weld for 2 straight minutes then 8 minutes of cooli time for the welder. Mine is 60% duty, so i can weld 6 minutes while letting it cool for 4 miutes.

True statement, and you should pay attention to it with the small machines. Lincoln's little machines have thermal protection. Don't know about any other brand.

110 volt machines are basically toys. Handy to have around for very light work and I own one.

Stick and mig (referred to as wire machines when I first started using one) produce equal quality welds provided the weldor is capable and the correct electrode and procedure is used for the task at hand.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 05:03:34 PM »

110 volt machines are basically toys. Handy to have around for very light work and I own one.

I found this to be a true statement with many of the cheap or OFF brands. But the Miller, Lincoln and Hobart machines work and work VERY well. With .035 sheilded wire I have had no probelms welding with complete penetration 3/8'' plate steel. My machine is rated to 1/4". With pre heating I have done 1/2''. As a  ''rule'' 5/16 is as thick as I go or I use the stick.

I have a neighbor who did not heed this advice and bought a Chicago something from Harbor freight... ::) I could not get the thing to weld sheet metal... He returned it and on some one else's advice, (Likes cheap apparently) bought another off brand... :o ::) That was also returned and he bought a 140 Lincoln from Home Depot. Its a little different from my Hobart, (Not as powerful) but works very well.

I was on the fence when I bought mine as I was also looking at the Hobart 187 (A 220 unit) I even wired the outlet in the garage to support it. But decided the 140 would be ''enough''. Also I find I made a dedicated 20A circut for this unit and it likes it a HOLE LOT better! I have NOT regretted the decision to buy this machine. BUT then again I do have a Lincoln Buzz box arch welder for the heavy stuff...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
Very true CW. the off brand units are way off. Mine is a 220v unit and also have the doghouse style buzz box and if i really wanna get serious , my gas operated welder/generator works great, but needs a new muffler :( . Ive got welding rod ovens which also help for preheated metal as well
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 01:46:35 AM »
Lincoln, Miller, and Hobart 110 volt machine are toys. Chinese machines are just junk.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 02:00:56 AM »
actually the duty cycle stands for the amount of time you can weld continuosly in a 10 minute period. 20% duty means you can weld for 2 straight minutes then 8 minutes of cooli time for the welder. Mine is 60% duty, so i can weld 6 minutes while letting it cool for 4 miutes.

When I was in welding school back in 1982 they used 60 min. I looked it up on line and now it's 10 min. So if you work out the math it's the same guess when it comes to work and cost they taught us by the hour  ;D

If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 03:30:33 AM »
I did volunteer firefighter and emt for years and every year they changed the CPR procedure so i guess they all need jobs too ::)
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 06:55:31 AM »
I did volunteer firefighter and emt for years and every year they changed the CPR procedure so i guess they all need jobs too ::)

yep       ::)

Offline FPH

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 11:43:01 AM »

When I was in welding school back in 1982 they used 60 min. I looked it up on line and now it's 10 min. So if you work out the math it's the same guess when it comes to work and cost they taught us by the hour  ;D

Depends on the welder and the Amps......I had ome mig that had an 80% duty cycle.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 02:13:59 AM »
with a 80 % duty cycle you could weld 48 min out of an hour the way we were taught . For commerical use in a work / job enviroment only a 100 % duty cycle should be considered.