Author Topic: 110v Welder  (Read 4523 times)

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
110v Welder
« on: September 05, 2012, 06:11:57 AM »
I just wanted to pass on a good cheap welder. It's a Hobart. Hobart and Miller are owned by the same company. Hobart is the consumer version. Miller is the professional version. Hobart uses the components of previous and current Millers. Both brands are known for their long life and dependability. Miller uses the newer technology. Hobart, in most cases is the power level used in Miller's discontinued model or maybe 125 instead of 130 amps for example. Many of the internals are the same. Millers have better wire feeds and other internals.

This model is a Hobart Handler 125EZ mig, flux core only. Flux core requires no shielding gas since the flux is in the center of the wire and shields the weld. You can weld outdoors with it and not worry about the wind blowing the shielding gas away. It operates on a standard 110 outlet. I have used it on 15 and 20 amp breakers without tripping them. I got it at toolking for 230 shipped as a refurb. They sell A stock which means it is less than a year old. Hobart honors the remainder of the 5 year warranty. Most of the info I read about them was that if someone has buyers remorse or similar circumstances and they are taken back to a store they have to go back to the factory for inspection, then sold as a factory reconditioned unit. I have yet to read of one that had scratches or anything. Mine happened to be brand new, as most are but I imagine some have been used. For $100 or a little bit more difference in price from a new one I like the refurb deal.

So how does it do? Amazing! It surprised me for a 110. I wanted a portable little welder for quick, portable spot repairs on the farm and for messing with IH scouts. It weighs 50 lb., so easy enough to strap it on the front of an atv with a generator on the back rack. It's a good little welder to load up and take to someone's house for repairs as well. Not having to worry about them having a special heavy gauge outlet or breaker is good. As well as not toting around a bottle. The manufacturer claims it will weld 3/16" metal. I have done up to 1/8" truck frames, trailers and roll cages with good penetration. I have also welded some 1/4" just to limp the tractor back to the shop and repair with a stick welder. 1/8" is where I would draw the limit for structural/high stress unless you pre heat with a torch though. 110 class welders just don't have the amperage to penetrate thick metal. Flux core welds hotter than standard mig, but 3/16" is probably under ideal conditions with an expert welder and a very good power supply.

The welder will not start as good on rusty metal as a stick welder will. But you can scratch a spot for the ground then scratch a spot for the beginning of the bead and once it's going it will weld through rust and paint pretty good. It does spatter a little bit, but not as bad as stick. It also leaves a little slag from the flux but again not as bad as  stick. You can just hit it with a wire brush instead of beating it with a hammer. There is no wire speed knob, if you think that too much fiddling would hinder you with your experience level. Just 4 positions for thickness and it adjusts wire speed as needed. I have welded down to 20 ga (lighter gauge than rated for) and it didn't blow through. They have it set up where it senses the metal thickness to give you the best outcome with very little adjustment.
Setting 1 is 18-16 ga, 2 16-12 ga, 3 12-10 ga and 4 10 ga- 3/16". I weld on 4 for 4x4 fab on 11ga through 1/8"

A lot of folks go buy the cheap 110 welders from the box stores and are very disapointed with the results. They glue metal alright but penetration seams to be a major complaint on the low power models. Just wanted to pass on a cheap one that is worth the money. If you have never welded I wouldn't recommend going straight to structural or welding up frames and such. But with some practice it is strong enough for severe use off road rigs. I pulled out a 6000 lb tractor with a scout. The rear crossmember and bumper were welded with the little 110 welder. A previous owner had jerked both off trying to pull out a jeep. So the welds were stronger than the stock bolts.
If you wanted a gas option they make a 125 without the ez or another cheaper solution is the Auto Arc 130. Miller used to make it and it was blue with no miller badging only "Auto Arc" on the outside. Then Hobart started making it. It is identical to the discontinued Millermatic 130 according to Miller tech. They are now white and made at the Hobart plant. I bought one of these for my dad so he could do patch panel repairs with gas(no slag and spatter is about non existent). It was 302 shipped from auto car superstore. I am very impressed with his as well. It's good to find made in America welders that do what they are supposed to and fit in a budget.
Molon labe

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 110v Welder
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 05:50:05 PM »
good to know. thanks

i wondered if you had used it with a
generator yet?

if so, what size gen?
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »
I have a Lincoln 140 mini mig, that I have had for years.  Works great.  If you have the room and the means you can "v" heavier metal and weld with multiple passes.  I've welded up to 1/2" this way with great success.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Bugflipper

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 08:48:20 PM »
I run it off a coleman 5000 watt. It would be fine on a 3500 though. Max draw is 26 amps x 100 so it would need a 2600 watt. A 3500 would give it a little wiggle room. The 130-140 amp ones would need a 4000-4500 to give them a little wiggle room.

Yes sir Mechanic. I've never done that with a mig but have had to do it on 1.5" plate with a stick. I really didn't have the means so I had to make a jig and run the pieces off a receiver hitch dragging on the road. 65 mph makes a pretty good abrasive.  :o  I did it at night with no cars on the road. It took about 5 miles each way because I just had it where the weight of the metal was the only downward force. Didn't want to tear the road up. They were just little pieces to make tow points for a dredge.
Molon labe

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 11:37:17 PM »
I agree 100%!!

About three years ago I needed a new mig welder, I found what I needed in a Hodart 140. Under 500 delivered with a cart.

I have welded alot more then should be expected form a personal use unit. I love it! With .035 wire and clean steel I can safely weld 1/2" stock no issues.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 01:25:42 AM »
Ok, I'm sold, where can I get one? I'll run it off my Coleman power unit.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 06:15:08 AM »
Ok, I'm sold, where can I get one? I'll run it off my Coleman power unit.
I bought mine mail order thru Northern Hydraulics.

http://www2.northerntool.com/hobart-welders-welding-equipment.htm

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dee

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 09:23:32 AM »
So you can't get one in a store?

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 10:57:24 AM »
Dee,

Around these parts, aside from normal welding equip. dealers, Tractor Supply sells Hobart.  Home Depot sells Lincoln.  Miller is from dealers only to my knowledge.  Any of the three are quality units that should last a lifetime.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Dee

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 11:13:08 AM »
We got Tractor Supply. I'll check it out. Thanks,

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 12:17:52 PM »
Dee,

Around these parts, aside from normal welding equip. dealers, Tractor Supply sells Hobart.  Home Depot sells Lincoln.  Miller is from dealers only to my knowledge.  Any of the three are quality units that should last a lifetime.

Ben

Dee,
 If you don't need it NOW, check out costs thru NH... I also have TS stores locally, but the NH $$ made the short wait worthwhile...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 12:34:27 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dee

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 12:44:23 PM »
Hey I'm a Craftsman guy. thanks for the info.

Offline Bugflipper

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 07:52:12 PM »
Tractor supply has had a sale going on for about a month on the 125ez and the 130 auto arc. You would have to buy the auto arc online and ship it to the store or your house though.
http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/nav/cat3/weldingmetalworking_welders_migwelding/0 They also have the flux core wire on sale for $15 a spool.

Molon labe

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 04:14:17 AM »
ive got a miller matic 185 w/gas that has served me well for years now. when welders are rated, its for single pass only, so with heat and multiple passes , thicker metals can welded with decent results. unfortunately, i get to weld for atleast an hr a day with some days upto 9hrs.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 04:28:37 AM »
Make sure you get the correct penetration.  Migs make pretty beads, but can make a worthless pretty bead.  Migs are great to get someone certified with, but the "pretty" beads my be worthless.  Hobart makes good welders.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 05:06:04 AM »
Hobart makes good welders.

Mine is still going strong...  ::) ;D ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline scratchmark

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 08:17:28 AM »
it is correct that a stick welder makes a stronger welder provided the correct rod for the purpose at hand is used. A mig is easier but if not set properly does not give as good a result. Once items are tacked together, i never try to do a one shot weld. I always run a quick "filler" pass. what this does is help preheat the metals while burning away any impruities which may contaminate and weaken the weld. The great thing about steel is you can grind and reweld.

Offline FPH

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 08:27:56 AM »
I do all my heavy structural welding with a stick welder.  I only use a mig on light gauge studs and steel.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 08:48:29 AM »
I do all my heavy structural welding with a stick welder.  I only use a mig on light gauge studs and steel.
Same here. BUT thats not because the MIG is not as good. Its simply because my MIG is a 115V and my ARC is a 220V and has more power. If I bought a more powerful MIG it would work in place of many ''stick'' jobs. 

What the MIG excells at is light/ thin material. Just like the TIG.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline FPH

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »
I only use a heavy commercial Mig.  I still prefer the stick.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 09:34:14 AM »
whats the duty cycle on these welders ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline FPH

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 09:54:03 AM »
Depends on the Amps.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 09:57:19 AM »
OK at max output , most welders are rated at max.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 09:58:18 AM »
whats the duty cycle on these welders ?

My Hobart is 20% Duty cycle.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline FPH

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 09:58:51 AM »
that would be 100 %.

Offline FPH

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »
I dont have the book infronof me but I think my Miller is 100% up 150 Amps.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 10:04:44 AM »
A 20% duty cycle means you can weld 20 min. out of every hour at the max setting .

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 11:26:48 AM »
A 20% duty cycle means you can weld 20 min. out of every hour at the max setting .
Thats the way I understand it YES,  Remember its a home unit not commercial. ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline scratchmark

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 12:35:35 PM »
actually the duty cycle stands for the amount of time you can weld continuosly in a 10 minute period. 20% duty means you can weld for 2 straight minutes then 8 minutes of cooli time for the welder. Mine is 60% duty, so i can weld 6 minutes while letting it cool for 4 miutes.