Author Topic: Thoughts on TB and 86 gr SJ for 30-06?  (Read 635 times)

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
Thoughts on TB and 86 gr SJ for 30-06?
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:45:39 AM »
I load 11 grs of Trail Boss behind the Hornady 86 gr Short Jacket RN (.30 Mauser) http://www.hornady.com/store/30-Mauser-.308-86-gr-RN/bullet for a 30-30 plinking round (Marlin 336 Texan) suitable for the younglings. It's not very accurate, but recoil is less than .22LR in my Marlin 1892 lever gun and the kids think it's great fun for cans and paper.

I was thinking about loading some 30-06 with Trail Boss behind 150 gr SP for the same purpose, and then wondered about using this same .308 diameter 86 gr bullet. I estimate that the TB starting load for this short bullet would be in the 19 gr area and that velocities would be fairly high, @ 1700 fps? But I also guess that this tiny bullet may not fare well in the 30-06 rifling? C96/.30 Mauser was a 1:8 twist vs 1:10 for this 30-06 (H&R Handi Rifle) but it will spend a lot more time in a 22" barrel than in the 5.5" barrel of the Mauser. The velocity will be too high, even above TB, for the bullet so it will only do for plinking, but I guess it's case of try it and see? Any thoughts/experience most welcome.

Any extra concerns about this?  I will load to TB specs: fill to bullet base, weigh and start load at 70% of max.
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Thoughts on TB and 86 gr SJ for 30-06?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:56:26 AM »
 I have NEVER had it happen, BUT my grandfather said those bullets COULD shed the jacket in the bore! This could lead to a burst barrel if you didn't notice it before firing again. I have shot MANY CAST bullets thru various .30 caliber guns at around 15-1700 fps and even slower. This makes a good "camp meat" rifle from a 30-06 IF LEGAL!

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Uhm, I wouldn't try it.

p.s. I actually had this long diatribe about load data, disregard and injury posted here and decided to remove it.

I wouldn't try it.
found elsewhere

Offline RPRNY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 05:51:20 PM »
I'm not challenging or arguing your advice. I am interested in hearing why not. Hodgdon TB guidance http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf says fill to uncompressed bullet base, weigh, set that as your max, and start at 70% of that. So, I see no data issue/pressure risk in that respect. The bullet has performed adequately in 30-30 over 11.5 grs of TB although that is well within .30 Mauser performance range of 700 - 1500 fps. At an estimated 1700 fps, core separation in the bore seems unlikely but a valid concern (that I appreciate you raising, thank you) and merits careful appraisal. If there are other concerns that I'm not seeing here, I would welcome hearing about them.

In any event, it may be academic because seating the 86 gr short jacket is a pain. I had a seating plug made for the bullet that works better than those designed for longer bullets but it is still a bit temperamental in 30-30. It may be more so in 30-06.
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:35:03 PM »
In any event, it may be academic because seating the 86 gr short jacket is a pain.
Exactly, it's the bullet that's my concern.
By all means work up the reduced load with TB, but why not use the bullet they recommend/already have proven?
There must be a reason they didn't use a smaller bullet. Just sayin,,,
found elsewhere

Offline RPRNY

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 03:03:20 PM »
Well, I had a go with 17 grs TB and the results were horrible. In the first 10 rounds I made up, in four of them the bullet wouldn't seat properly - bulged at the side, slightly low at one side, etc. Absolutely not worth the effort. On the other hand, the ones I made up with 150 gr Hornady SP look a real treat. .30 Mauser in 30-06 project scrapped.

It surprised me that the 86 gr SJ would seat so much better/more consistently in the 30-30. Mind you, I'm using Lee RGB dies in 30-06 which are not the height of refinement. I'm not sure they are ideal for finnicky jobs like this.

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 07:53:42 AM »
The lightest .308 bullet I've loaded in 30-06 or .308 is the 110 grain Sierra Varminter so I can't address the 86 grain bullet but given it's short length and rounded profile I can see where it would be a challenge to seat straight.

If there is any question about the low end for bullet weights maybe you should call Hodgdon at 913-362-9455.

Lance