Author Topic: scales and powder dispenser's?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline slickest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
scales and powder dispenser's?
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:59:43 AM »
So far I have bought a lee hand press, calipers, and a lee hand prime. I figured as of right now its time to get a powder scale and or a powder scale / dispenser. Basically I have no spare room at all and I will be reloading at the kitchen table and putting the equipment away when done. When I decide to upgrade I will buy a progressive press so as of right now I am kind of thinking buying a powder scale dispenser would be a waste of money when the time comes and I have the space to set up a permanent reloading station.

One thing that had me thinking is with a loss of power what good is a digital scale and calipers going to do me? I mean I know the both use small batteries but thats something I might have on hand or not have on hand. So basically getting to the point what would be the reason you would choose a digital scale over a beam scale? Im looking at buying a RCBS  RC-130 scale or the lee saftey magnetic powder scale. Any reasons you would stay away from it? Should I just go with a pocket sized digital?

Thanks for your time.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: scales and powder dispenser's?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:55:20 AM »
if you're bucks down, you ought to get
the lee safety scale and the dipper set.
i have dippers and scales and use both
at different times depending on situation.

if you will learn to read vernier calipers,
or even a dial caliper, your battery worries
will be over.

i've used the dippers for quite a while and
would be comfortable if i had nothing else.

good luck- post if you need free advice ;D

18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:56:54 AM »
i've loaded at my farm with a hand press,
and dippers, and made good rounds.
and used the lee loader too.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 12:37:59 PM »
I bought a small set of electronic scales from Ebay for about $20.00. Then got an RCBS powder measure from Ebay too for a good price. I had a Lee powder measure but just like the RCBS better.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline D Fischer

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:57:34 PM »
Battery's getting weak might not be good. But both the balance arm scale and digital will both work well if you use them right. My scale is a 505 made by Ohaus, pretty old but i don't over load anything with it. Start low and work up looking for pressure. I also have rather old dial caliper's. The only thing they don't do that digital might do is stop working because the battery is dead. The tools we used 50 yrs ago were pretty darn good, i could still load good ammo with them!

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 02:06:14 PM »
slick, if there is someone in your
area that is a long time reloader,
see if they have some scale check
weights and you can check any
scale you might buy for accuracy.

18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline slickest

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »
thanks for the info. think i will purchase the lee scale

Offline Forsberg

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
thanks for the info. think i will purchase the lee scale

Maybe get a powder trickler to go with the scale.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 12:31:06 AM »
I like electronic scales for there convience. But if you cant afford a good one your better off with a balance beam. I bought a few cheap electronics just to try them and they were junk. Right now i have a pact scale and dispensor and a lyman scale/dispensor combo and they are both good quality products.
blue lives matter

Offline Modoc

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 10:09:33 AM »
I really liked my Lyman DPS 1200 (1st gen) until the keypad went away last night. I then dug out my RCBS 10-10 scale, trickler and Uniflow Powder measure. It took a bit longer to load up four ladder tests, but they still work VERY well. They are not cheap, but very reliable.  BTW, I am still using a Mituyo (sp?) Dial Caliper that I have had for almost 30 years and it too is still going strong.

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 12:41:28 PM »
I am a big Lee fan where price is involved.  That said, I have one of their scales and it is mediocre at best.  It is one of the few Lee items that I think is not worth more than the purchase price.  It works but is not as good as my old Lyman was before the kids cat sent it to meet the floor.  I would suggest a dipper set and a small digital especially if you'll be packing and unpacking it a lot.  The Lee balance is pretty delicate and has a razor blade on aluminum for a pivot.  I have seen one damaged by too much jostling.  If you decide to get the lee, you will definitely want a trickler because it is real easy to go from too light to too heavy unless you have the dexterity of a brain surgeon.  Be very gentle, patient and pay attention and the Lee will get you by, but you really have to be careful that the pivot is free on each load.

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 03:43:46 PM »
I am a Lee fan as well but not of the scale. I have an old Lyman scale and a set of lee dippers. I use a lee dipper that is close and a small dipper in place of a powder trickler. I can add or remove small amounts quickly and accurately that way.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 03:59:07 PM »
yeah. . .
it is a 20.00 scale for sure, but i'd trust it
over a 20.00 electronic digital.

i usually don't use a scale unless i'm
working on a load. i'll set my uniflow
to what it needs to be at or use a lee dipper.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 09:35:23 AM »
slickest

When I started loading back in 77 the first thing I got was the Lee combo kit that came with their beam scale , before the first night was over it was in peices on the floor after I tossed it , the next morning I went out and picked up a RCBS 505 and still use it to this day , granted not as much once I got my PACT scale / dispencer combo but sometimes I still drag it out .

The 505 is bullet proof as far as beam scales go , you can't go wrong with one , money well spent .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 02:51:38 PM »
I agree with Stimpy about the RCBS scale. I've been using one for seems like forever. I keep a cover over it when not in use and have a set of check weights. I try now and then to convince myself I need a good electronic rig but just can't do it since the old RCBS works so good.

Offline wmdron

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 12:42:38 AM »
I can't help thinking about the old adage "buy once, cry once" . My best advice is to take your time and buy good quality right from the start, a good balance beam scale will be with you forever. RCBS 505, 510,1010, Redding no.2 some of the older (not so much plastic) lyman 500 scales. Electronic scales are nice but really good ones unfortunately cost a lot and cheap ones aren't worth having. In my mind the reason to have an electronic scale is a matter of speed and ease of use. A good balance beam is just as accurate.  If you are short on cash try EBay but be careful of what you buy there. I've had some bad experiences with sellers that overstate the condition of what they are selling and then don't want to take it back. IMHO money spent on inferior reloading products is money wasted.

Offline painted horse

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 02:18:18 PM »
The Lee scale will work just fine. No, they're not on the same playing field with most all others for looks and weight (they only go to what, 100gr), but they do work and they are accurate.  You don't need a trickler, use an mty case, dipper that comes with Lee dies (or dipper set) I've even used my fingers "pinching" powder. Powder measures are nice, very convenient, but the dippers will work. Just drop in the scale pan. Seems as some like to spend others folks money.... ;D 

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 03:22:58 PM »
most lee stuff is acceptable some of it is great, the scale is the one product that is just ok. and fussy to boot. a 505 scale and a redding trickler is pretty much the gold standard. but loading got lots easier when my wife bought me a chargemaster combo last christmas. this I like a lot. just set it dump and go. pretty pricey but worth it if you load a lot, especially with stick powders that dont meter well.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 12:16:03 PM »
Hello,
 I always recomend a good beam scale.Most all know I have no affinity for LEE and seldom if ever recomend one of there products. but scales and powder measurers control the powder, too much (or little ) can blow your arse up... DON'T SKIMP HERE!!
 RCBS, REDDING, OHAUS, LYMAN, HORNADY all make a quality reliable scale. Same for powder measurers, choose a good one and have confidence in a quality product thats not gonna hurt you or one of your firearms.

Digital scales at least the ones most of us can afford and may not be great as they may seem. Again this is powder, its kinda important its  measured correct.. You may not get a second chance to do it right. ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 11:35:44 PM »
I bought a RCBS beam scale 20 years ago when I was heavy into black powder.  When I bought the Lee Anniversary kit, I didn't like the safety scale and sold it.  I'm not a fan of digital anything.  As an electrician for 30 years, I stuck with dial meters.  I use dial calipers, etc.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 01:26:58 AM »
I've loaded thousands of rounds using the RCBS 5-0-5.  Midsouth Shooters Supply is probably the cheapest source.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~