Author Topic: Fed judge says that AZ police can chk for criminals, show me your papers.  (Read 582 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Federal judge OKs section of Arizona immigration law allowing police to question status of suspected illegals  Published September 05, 2012
Associated Press    PHOENIX –  A federal judge ruled Wednesday that Arizona authorities can enforce the most contentious section of the state's immigration law, which critics have dubbed the "show me your papers" provision.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton clears the way for police to carry out the 2010 law's requirement that officers, while enforcing other laws, question the immigration status of those they suspect are in the country illegally.

The requirement has been at the center of a two-year legal battle that culminated in a U.S. Supreme Court decision in June upholding the requirement.

Opponents then asked Bolton to block the requirement, arguing that it would lead to systematic racial profiling and unreasonably long detentions of Latinos if it's enforced.
Lawyers for Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer urged the judge to let the requirement go into effect, saying the law's opponents were merely speculating in their racial profiling claims, that police have received training to avoid discriminatory practices and that officers must have "reasonable suspicion" that a person is in the country illegally to trigger the requirement.
Less controversial sections of the law have been in effect since late July 2010, but rarely been used.

Arizona's law was passed in 2010 amid voter frustration with the state's role as the busiest illegal entry point into the country. Five states -- Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, South Carolina and Utah -- have adopted variations on Arizona's law.
Brewer's office says the law is expected to go into effect shortly.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/05/federal-judge-oks-arizona-immigration-law-section-allowing-police-to-question/?test=latestnews#ixzz25duOyqNb
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Fed judge says that AZ police can chk for criminals, show me your papers.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:24:27 PM »
Looks like Obummer is gonna lose Arizona......Too bad, Sad Sack Barack.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 02:59:44 AM »
It sure makes life a hassle for those that are here legally. One of our church members is from Guatemala and is here on a work visa working full time helping start new Mennonite churches, especially in Hispanic communities. She travels all over the US and some in Canada. Although she has never received any kind of ticket or been arrested she has been stopped many times in various states by law enforcement that then question her at length, may try to force her to allow vehicle searches and has been detained for lengths of time for refusing searches. Each time she has presented proper ID, etc. So much for the land of the free.
GuzziJohn

Offline magooch

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 03:23:35 AM »
You have to understand that the United States is being invaded by illegals and something has to be done--even if it causes some people some inconvenience.  If you have a better idea--let's hear it.
Swingem

Offline turk762

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 03:30:17 AM »
God forbid they enforce the law while they enforce the law. ??? ???

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 03:31:55 AM »
How about having real probable cause to stop the vehicle other than the the color of the driver's skin. Would you all like to be stopped and hassled on a regular basis for no justifiable cause?
GuzziJohn

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 04:03:26 AM »
How about having real probable cause to stop the vehicle other than the the color of the driver's skin. Would you all like to be stopped and hassled on a regular basis for no justifiable cause?
GuzziJohn

Oh yes! I'm sure this happens to every single person of Hispanic descent, every single day of their lives. ::)
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 04:36:30 AM »
 The ruling by U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton clears the way for police to carry out the 2010 law's requirement that officers, while enforcing other laws, question the immigration status of those they suspect are in the country illegally.

The way I read it, there has to be a traffic violation or some other reason to pull someone over..Right? What is wrong with this?
States should have the right to make these laws and the Fed's should butt out anyway.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 05:12:12 AM »

Yeah well, how about stopping them at the borders in the first place like Americans wanted for 50 years (only if they did we'd still have unions... ;) )  If you got a leak in your water heater you turn it off, don't you.  This kind of papers checking is just the beginning of naziesque methods and is not conservative... depending more or less how they operate the law.
...TM7

TM makes a great point! Unfortunately the only candidate running this time around, who was wiling to CLOSE THE ^&*$ing border was Paul!

Looking closely at the party platforms one can see that they both give lip service to the illegal immigration problem.......neither of them were willing to do anything about closing the border. ::)

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 05:31:23 AM »
Quote from NW_Hunter:
"The way I read it, there has to be a traffic violation or some other reason to pull someone over..Right? What is wrong with this?"

I would have no problem checking for status IF:
The person is stopped for an actual violation and responds in such a way that would lead a LEO to be suspicious legality. But in the example I gave it appears that she is being stopped only due to her skin color since she has never been given a ticket or arrested. If I was in her shoes I would get tired of that really quick and I think most here would too.
GuzziJohn

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 06:11:04 AM »
Depending on the size of town this is happening I would suggest she and her lawyer make an appointment with the police commissioner or mayor.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 06:31:06 AM »
Quote from BBF:
"Depending on the size of town this is happening I would suggest she and her lawyer make an appointment with the police commissioner or mayor."

As I said in my OP she travels all over and has run into this problem in multiple states. Due to her assisting more with starting of primarily Hispanic churches I would guess that she is more often in states that have significant Hispanic populations where this LEO behavior is probably more common. She drives a nice early 2000s Honda Accord so it is not a typical coyote type of vehicle or something like that.
GuzziJohn

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 07:56:22 AM »

As I said in my OP she travels all over and has run into this problem in multiple states. Due to her assisting more with starting of primarily Hispanic churches I would guess that she is more often in states that have significant Hispanic populations where this LEO behavior is probably more common. She drives a nice early 2000s Honda Accord so it is not a typical coyote type of vehicle or something like that.
GuzziJohn

Well that's just interesting as all get out! So this is already happening to her on a regular basis? Then nothing changes does it?

But I gotta wonder.........I can't tell if someone is Hispanic in a car that passes me on the road unless I get alongside and make an effort to see the person. And frankly, I'm not that interested! Unless something else calls my attention to the vehicle.......... ??? You note that she travels in multiple states.....Out of state plates often get more attention by local leos.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 04:58:23 PM »
GuzziJohn

quote author=powderman link=topic=264030.msg1099570925#msg1099570925 date=1346889469]
Federal judge OKs section of Arizona immigration law allowing police to question status of suspected illegals  Published September 05, 2012
Associated Press    PHOENIX –  A federal judge ruled Wednesday that Arizona authorities can enforce the most contentious section of the state's immigration law, which critics have dubbed the "show me your papers" provision.

The requirement has been at the center of a two-year legal battle that culminated in a U.S. Supreme Court decision in June upholding the requirement.

guzzi - You're misinterpreting the law, or your intentionally re-framing the question to put the law in a bad light.  Read the part that I hi-lighted.  This is no different than the way the hand held cell phone law was originally enforced.  You could only be stopped if the Police saw you committing another traffic violation, in essence, it was enforcement in addition to another violation of the law.  Just think, you get to commit a violation of the law before the Police can question you about your immigration status.  We all know that illegal aliens don't commit crime/violation of the law right? ::)   So in the words of Alfred E. Newman; "What me worry?"  ;D

[
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 07:13:58 AM »
Glad to see law is now in effect!
As far as racial profiling being a problem with this law, that is pure bovine scat! Most of the time that this  argument is used is just to keep alot of the illegals from being caught and deported which in return would reduce the liberal voting base!!
How about us old farts being  singled out by the TSA for body pat downs, talk about profiling!!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International