Author Topic: Lead Hardness  (Read 824 times)

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Lead Hardness
« on: February 08, 2004, 11:50:09 AM »
Is wheel weight considered "hard cast"?

I hear quite a lot of talk about hard cast, but I also think that a bullet needs to be a certain amount "soft" for reliable expansion for use on game!

Thought/suggestions on this?
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

• Trade Count: (0)
Lead Hardness
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 12:57:18 PM »
To answer your question about hardness:

Meister Bullets lists their "hard cast" as 14-16 Brinell;  WW vary from about 12-14 Brinell, depending on age (they get harder with age--maybe a couple of Brinell numbers).  Also the make-up of the WW will come into play.  Most casters will admit that they aren't totally sure as to the actual metals in each WW batch and WW will vary with the manufacturer and even the year that it was made.
I purchased a hardness tester from Cabine Tree and do note slight differences in hardness from batch to batch.  This is not a problem for me as I shoot Cowboy.  
I wil let others speak to the needed softness for taking game.

ÇR
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
Lead Hardness
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 06:22:32 PM »
Speaking of wheeel weights. I bought a couple small buckets of wheel weights from a tire shop. The first bucket (approx) 50 lbs melted fine and I was able to scoop all my clips and dross just fine. I poured ingots from a muffin pan. Then on a different day I started in on the second pail and once in a while I found a weight in with the clips and trash that hadn't melted. I scooped them out right away. I am thinking they were zinc. Could they have been? Does zinc take more heat to melt than lead and I suppose it is a lighter material and would float on top. I don't know what those strange weights were, but I had about 4 of them and I don't want strange stuff melting into my wheel weight lead. Anyone have that experience with their found weights?
I fluxed well and my ingots all look good and I now can use the ingots the next time I am casting bullets.
I shoot CAS too and I do add a little tin to my mix when casting and my bullets are very satisfactory. I shoot BP in my guns and never get any leading. I have in the past with hard cast bullets. I haven't tried meisters, but I have had some with Lazer Cast and Bear Creeks.  I am glad I got into casting. It stretches my hobby, but I still have things to learn.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline Cheyenne Ranger

Lead Hardness
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 01:40:01 PM »
I've had those weights that don't melt, too--nice and shiny.  I just scoop them out with the clips and other trash.  Doesn't seem to effect the lead left in the pot.  

I've heard they were zinc but really don't know--just what I've heard on the wires.

ÇR
SASS 48747L
RO II
Thunder River Renegades
SBSS #1170--OGB

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
Lead Hardness
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 04:35:16 PM »
Yup, I guess they are zinc. I scooped them out right after I saw they were different. I hear breathing zinc is hazardous and I think it must take a lot more heat to melt them. I can't figure why they even make them. Seems that lead has always been the standard for wheel weights. My other peeve is that I got a lot of the strip weights with the adhesive back and they melt fine, but the adhesive sticks and smokes something awful. I guess they use those on mag wheels. They are tolerable, but not those zinc ones.  :grin:
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
Lead Hardness
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 12:19:09 PM »
For your CAS loads you could cut the WW almost in half(at least a third) with lead (not tin) and still have satisfactory loads.  The softer bullets will obturate (expand) to fill the chamber and barrel throats and do a better job of sealing the powder gasses behind them and increase accuracy.  Hard bullets with lower pressure loads won't expand enough and allow the gas to blow past them actually melting some the bullet as it goes, increasing leading rather than reducing it.  Softer lead is much cheaper than tin anyway.  Most likely your floating weights are zinc and need to be trashed.  Keep your casting area well ventilated (side exhaust fans are great) since beside the zinc you see, WW have some arsenic and of course the lead itself.  None of this being especially good for your longevity when inhaled for very long.

Offline USARO4

CABINE LEAD TESTER
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 02:43:22 PM »
I RECENTLY PURCHASED ONE AND IT WORKS GREAT. NO MORE GUESSING ABOUT HARDNESS. IVE WENT BACK TO ALL MY STOCKPILED BULLETS AND TESTED AND LABELED THEM WITH CORRECT HARDNESS. IT REALLY OPENED MY EYES, WHAT I THOUGHT TO BE HARD OR SOFT CAST BY GUESSING AT THE ALLOY MIX WAS VERY INACCURATE.

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
Lead Hardness
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 05:02:54 PM »
Blackhawk 44 I actually cast out doors, just outside my garage door I have a bench. I suspected those few weights were zinc and now I know. I have only been casting for about a year now. I sure enjoy it though. Best part is that I can cast bullets not available from stores or manufacturers. I shoot BP and have special needs. It is what prompted me to roll my own so to speak. I sure have appreciated all the help I got right here on this board when I got started and I thank you all. :grin:
yer pard,
Howdy Doody