Author Topic: "Refurbished" scopes..  (Read 944 times)

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
"Refurbished" scopes..
« on: September 08, 2012, 04:13:39 PM »
  Natchez offers refurbished scopes at a discount.  What is your experience with them ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: "Refurbished" scopes..
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 02:51:50 AM »
Ive bought two of the refurbished team primos nikons and one refurbed monarch and they have given me a lick of trouble. Some claim they dont have the same warantee but nikon will back them. I look at it this way. If i buy a new scope i take the chance that its got a factory defect as its never been tested. refirbed scopes have been gone through by a HUMAN and have been tested.
blue lives matter

Offline muznut 54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 03:47:43 AM »
That's a good way to look at it LS. But I wonder about the Nikons they seem to be all the refurbs?

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 07:58:11 AM »
I don't have on of them but have a refurbished Range Finder that so far has done fine.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 02:01:50 AM »
the reason theres so many nikon refirbs is this. When you have a problem with a nikon scope or set of bincos and send them in 9 times out of 10 they just send you a new pair. then your old pair gets sent for refirbing if its a newer model. You dont see leupolds or others as refirbs much because they will normaly fix the scope you sent in and return the same one to you. Bottom line is probably 3/4s of the scopes sent in for service have nothing wrong with them. Most were mounted pourly or put on guns that were the cause of the problem. Send that same scope back to someone like that and the first thing they think is that nikon didnt fix it and return it again because there combo still isnt working. Id bet nikon figures if they send out a new scope at least the guy will start looking elsewhere for his problem. That way too they can fix them at there leasure and dont have guys pestering them to get there scope back. Ive had scopes in for repair to some manufactures that took months to get back. That and i wouldnt doubt it doesnt cost nikon but about 50 bucks to make a 400 dollar scope and they may just feel its cheaper in the long run to send you a new one and farm out the reconditioning of there returns to some independent company or a subsiderary of there own company that makes a few bucks reconditioning and reselling them. 
That's a good way to look at it LS. But I wonder about the Nikons they seem to be all the refurbs?
blue lives matter

Offline DARKCLOUD

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:38:55 AM »
i have 2 of them no problems at all.
 however nikon refurb scopes only have a 1 year warranty.
not lifetime like a new one.
mark

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »
Thanks guys, I was wondering...for future reference..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 01:00:08 AM »
they actually do warantee them for life the differnce is after a year with a refurb you have to pay return shipping.
i have 2 of them no problems at all.
 however nikon refurb scopes only have a 1 year warranty.
not lifetime like a new one.
mark
blue lives matter