Author Topic: Need your help, please!  (Read 616 times)

Offline Cosmo

• Trade Count: (0)
Need your help, please!
« on: September 09, 2012, 01:15:49 PM »
Hi, folks! Hoping someone can help us with identifying a pistol that has been handed down. It has very ornate vine and leaf engraving. It has ELG in a circle and it looks like the serial number 1986 is in several places. It has been suggested it is Belgian, from 1850-1860 possibly. But no one seems to know beyond that.
I tried to post pictures, but they wouldn't come through.
We also have a double barrel, exposed hammer shotgum. It has F. Kief en Peine engraved on it. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Need your help, please!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 09:00:48 AM »
Need more info.  Caliber, type pistol (single shot, revolver), barrel shape & length, any other markings.  Pictures would go a long way to identifying it.  Multiple shots showing all markings.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Cosmo

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »
It is a revolver. I tried to upload pictures, but they won't go through. If u have an email address i can send them to u. My email is tessiecat@msn.com. Thanks!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »
Hey all, Cosmo sent me some pictures.  Can anyone identify this other than an "Unmarked Belgian revolver"

Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 05:49:23 PM »
I've posted the pictures on another BP site that is usually able to identify oddball revolvers.  This is the best one of the members could do.
"Hmmmm.............. The "ELG" is a Belgian proofmark. If there is a crown over it then its before 1895, no crown means after.

It looks like some version of one of the the Belgian "patent infringment revolvers" There were literally thousands of different models, all copied partly or completley from an existing patented design. Literally every bycycle shop was cranking out some kind of pistol, all copied from existing designs that were sometimes mixed & matched to try & claim an "original design" but all they did was steal several ideas & combine them. The side hammer could have come from a beaumont, or Beaumont-Addams, the cylinder pin from a Colt Root & the loading lever from something else entirely. "

Offline Cosmo

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »
Thanks, Fingers! You were able to give me more info than the recommended muzzleloading shop I drove 2 hours to get to last week!
You're the best! -Barb

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 01:58:38 PM »
Glad to be of assistance Barb.  Ive still got a couple posting ou there; so, someone might come up with more info. 
From your picrures, it looks like a .44 caliber double action revolver.  Am I right, or am I reading the pictures wrong? 
I know you said it was hadnded down; but do you have any history on it?