Author Topic: This what a Huntsman is capable of........  (Read 1138 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
This what a Huntsman is capable of........
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:54:54 AM »
At the hunting club I belong to, we always are trying to one up each other in friendly competitions. Most of us pride ourselves on accurate shooting and are always trying to beat everyone else in slug guns, muzzleloaders, centerfires, etc. We have to qualify every year starting in about August to hunt on the property with whatever weapons we plan on using. So Saturday I shot my Huntsman to qualify for the muzzleloader season here in IL. My Huntsman can be very accurate but I never thought I'd ever shoot a 3 shot group at 100 yards this small. In front of 3 witnesses I shot a .459" CTC 3 shot group at 100 yards using 2 50gr Pyrodex pellets, Win 209 primer, T/C 250gr .452" diameter non-bonded Shockwave in the supplied long black 'magnum' sabot. I was also using the breech plug that I hear you are not supposed to mention on this forum. I've tried BH, loose Pyro, T7, etc and nothing has been more accurate than the fore-mentioned load. I swabbed with T/C's #13 in between shots as well. I expect that load to normally group around 1.25" - 1.5" CTC at 100yds but all the planets must of been aligned just right Saturday. The group was measued multiple times with dial calipers by all of us. I'm sure this was a one time event but for all of those who say H-R's/NEF's won't shoot well, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YER TALKIN ABOUT! I only wish I had some way of posting pics online to show off this target. I'll repeat that again-

.459" CTC @ 100 yards with a muzzleloader!!!!!!

Needless to say it will be awhile before anyone at the club can beat that group with a muzzleloader.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Re: This what a Huntsman is capable of........
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 12:10:07 PM »
JimG - It's easy to post the pictures, just click on the "Attachments and other options", under the reply box.  Looking forward to seeing the pics.  Good shooting! 
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 01:19:37 PM »
Here's the problem-

I have no digital camera and my phone is a simple 'Fred Flintstone' variety. It does take digital images but does not have texting or data uploading/downloading/whatever capabilities. I have saved the target and will see if anyone at the club can get a picture taken that can be put on the forum.

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
Scope(what specs) or open sights?  Great shooting by the way
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 02:10:40 PM »
I believe you JG, I wont get in to what load I was shooting ;D  But one time I put five bullets in the same hole. At the time another muzzleloader was giving me fits and I was cussing out the H&R thinking I was missing the target after the first shot. Then on the sixth shot the hole started getting egg shaped then I said holy chit this thing is putting them in the same hole. :o 

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 11:02:58 PM »
nice shooting.  with 60 grains of bh209 by weight  (87.5 volume)  a harvestor crush rib sabot and a .429 250 grain round nose lead bullet I mold myself and a 777 primer, I can shoot clover leafs at 100 yards.  I also have a scope on mine, but they are deadly accurate. 
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 04:53:23 AM »
Scope is a Nikon Omega, 1.65x5 and it was set on 5 power. It has the regular Nikoplex reticle, not the BDC reticle. Base/rings are a DNZ one piece ring mount.

Offline markdc

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »
Hi Jimg, sounds like some fine shooting. Can you please e-mail me at markdc123@yahoo.com with info about the super secret breechplug and where to obtain one. thanks and God bless, Mark

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 05:11:50 AM »
See the sticky above ***attention all please read***

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain