Author Topic: do we tend to "scope too much"?  (Read 4776 times)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: do we tend to "scope too much"?
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2012, 03:51:50 AM »
I'm with Lloyd...I've often wished for a bit more magnification rather than less......
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2012, 10:08:25 AM »
Yes and no, the way I look at it is, I can always leave it on 3 or 4 power and if I need more I can always crank it up.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2012, 06:48:18 AM »
I think not enough scope on this 44 mag?

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2012, 11:34:32 PM »
For CW Longshot;
        You said you have been selling and studying scopes for many years, perhaps you can clarify something for me.  I have often leaned toward fixed powers for big game scopes, figuring the kill area is about volleyball size, rather than the apple size of varmints.  I have been cautious with variables because I figured with more lenses and adjustments..it is just more to go wrong..the K.I.S.S. factor;  am I incorrect in that assumption?
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
   Most of my scopes are of the 32mm objective size with only a couple @ 40mm and 44mm.  I have one 50mm..a gift.  Much of my hunting is in brushy areas and I don't like to take a 50mm into such situations for fear of bumps and snags..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2012, 11:41:16 PM »
jy951;
  When my grandson was serving as a Spec Ops Marine in Iraq, being his company armorer he had a lieutenant who wanted all the "bells & whistles" on his rifle.  Upon hearing of this in a letter from him, I sent him this photo which I found on the web  It was good for a private chuckle between my grandson and other Marines who were actually engaging the enemy. ;) :D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2012, 02:42:44 AM »
For CW Longshot;
        You said you have been selling and studying scopes for many years, perhaps you can clarify something for me.  I have often leaned toward fixed powers for big game scopes, figuring the kill area is about volleyball size, rather than the apple size of varmints.  I have been cautious with variables because I figured with more lenses and adjustments..it is just more to go wrong..the K.I.S.S. factor; 

Good morning,

Many people lean to this assumption with optics and it stems froms he days of  variable scopes infancy. I would add when speaking of cheap scopes your assessment is likely still very true.

But today's quality scopes are very durable and reliable. A cheaper scope made today is argueably on par with a quality scope of say 25 years ago. For example, today's Simmons midline scope isometric every bit a Leupold Vari X scope. 25 years ago not many would have thought twice about mounting the Leupold VariX to there rifle.

There have been huge advancements in optical quality as well as quality of the scopes them selves. Most offer larger adjustment ranges (at the turrets) even 1/8" adjustments in less expensive scopes. Something reserved to the best varmint/Target scopes of only a few years back.

Like anything g else, buy quality and you will be happy. Burris, Nikon, Leupold are popular here but there are many others that are as good or even better if your wallet can make the strain. ;)

You jut don't hear of problems directly associated with a given scope being variable any more.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2012, 03:12:58 AM »
Thanks CW...info I needed...

Offline Ranger413

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2012, 05:59:43 AM »
I just went down in power on a muzzleloader barrel set-up for my Encore.  I rarely take shots out past 100few on deer with it.  I sight the irons in at 50the and the scope at 100.  The barrel did wear a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9X until just recently.  I've decided that a lower powered scope would suit my needs better.  I ended up purchasing a Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25-4X that has a 30mmlower tube, German #4 reticle with illuminated center dot.

A number of years ago I built up a 338-06 on a savage action.  I debated scope power for awhile on that one because I intended it to be for larger big game out west.  I settled on a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X, mainly due to value and availability at the time.  3-9s are the most popular power range and can often be had for a reasonable price.  With that said though, they're not necessarily the ideal power range for a particular rig or hunting environment.
Life is like a dogsled team, if you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2012, 12:12:26 AM »
well said
For CW Longshot;
        You said you have been selling and studying scopes for many years, perhaps you can clarify something for me.  I have often leaned toward fixed powers for big game scopes, figuring the kill area is about volleyball size, rather than the apple size of varmints.  I have been cautious with variables because I figured with more lenses and adjustments..it is just more to go wrong..the K.I.S.S. factor; 

Good morning,

Many people lean to this assumption with optics and it stems froms he days of  variable scopes infancy. I would add when speaking of cheap scopes your assessment is likely still very true.

But today's quality scopes are very durable and reliable. A cheaper scope made today is argueably on par with a quality scope of say 25 years ago. For example, today's Simmons midline scope isometric every bit a Leupold Vari X scope. 25 years ago not many would have thought twice about mounting the Leupold VariX to there rifle.

There have been huge advancements in optical quality as well as quality of the scopes them selves. Most offer larger adjustment ranges (at the turrets) even 1/8" adjustments in less expensive scopes. Something reserved to the best varmint/Target scopes of only a few years back.

Like anything g else, buy quality and you will be happy. Burris, Nikon, Leupold are popular here but there are many others that are as good or even better if your wallet can make the strain. ;)

You jut don't hear of problems directly associated with a given scope being variable any more.

CW
blue lives matter

Offline KIMBER45

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2012, 01:12:21 AM »
On a side note, I have noticed that here in PA, a lot of the guys I have talked with who used to use iron sights have gone to scopes since the implementation of minimum antler size (most of the state is 3 points on one side, some areas 4) as an aid to antler point verification.

Except for varmint and long range specialty rifles, most of my hunting rifles wear 1x5, 2x7, and a few 3x9 scopes, all usually set to 3x or so while hunting.

Larry
+1
"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------