Author Topic: Burris pistolscopes???  (Read 581 times)

Offline giddens1972

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Avid Poster
Burris pistolscopes???
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »
I have always read that Burris pistolscopes were the best for heavy recoiling calibers, until recently.  I have seen quite a few reviews that say the 2x7 isn't the quality of scope that they used to produce.  I am curious to know if there are many people that have experience with the newer 2x7, or 3x9.  I need a new variable power for my 358JDJ...I've broken about 4 cheapos and I am tired of that.  I know that the bushnell elite is a good scope, but I have seen quite a few burris' for sale used that were not as expensive.  Any info will be greatly appreciated!
John

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Re: Burris pistolscopes???
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:05:20 PM »
Not sure how new my Burris was that was on my Puma 454 casull a few years ago but it definately took a licking and kept on ticking. It was mounted scout scope style. I now have a Bushnell 3200 Elite on my 45 Colt SBH Hunter. No problems there either.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 02:55:39 PM »
I have a Burris 2x7 on my 7-30 Contender.  Not lots of recoil, but it has been spot on with no problems.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 03:18:46 PM »
If it is going to be a big game hunting scope buy a leupold 2.5 x 8 and be done.  More money but awesome glass and great field of view and eye relief IMO.  Burris makes a fine scope also.  I have not had either fail.  The 3 x 12 burris is a good target and varmint scope but I would not use one for big game because it is lacking the above leupold advantages.  The 2 x7 burris is nice scope for less money has a good field of view and eye relief but still don't like is as much as the leupold 2.5 x 8.  Make sure you buy steel bases and rings.  You always get what you pay for ;)

Good luck on your decision,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline major257

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 04:54:34 PM »
I have a burris 2x7 on my 270WSM Encore pistol barrel and it held up so far. Granted I have not shot it much. I do not like the eye relief. The ER distance is great at 2x but as you increase power the ER shortens and you can't focus.I can not shoot it above 4x because the ER is to close to hold the gun properly. Burris told me that is the way all pistol variable power pistol scopes are. I should not have bought a variable power scope I guess. I am going to look at leupold to replace it if their Eye Relief doesn't change so dramaticly.

Offline major257

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 05:20:51 PM »
I just looked again at the Burris 2x7 and the ER is variable from 21-10" as power increases. Leupold advertises a constant 15" ER on the 2x8 handgun scope.