Author Topic: IMR 4007 ssc???  (Read 1030 times)

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
IMR 4007 ssc???
« on: September 10, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »
I bought a can of this and haven't found anything it is really good for.  Anyone else try it with sucess?  I tried it in .243, 100 gr. and came up short on velocity.  Now I am trying it in a .308, having 75 fps variances, and signs of high pressure, hard extraction, and a couple cratered primers but no flattened primers yet, I am not up to the book max yet.  This is with 150 and 180 gr bullets.  I?Is there something with the short grains that make it spike?  A load increase of .5 gr. will show sudden pressure signs.  I haven't had these problems with 4320, 4350, Varget, 4831, or other powders I use.  If the velocity was consistent I .could maybe live with loads that do not come up to factory.  It is h.ot weather right now, but I started working with this stuff las.t year.

I guess I will have to watch for the next shipment of BLC-2.  Now I am afraid to try the CFE223 after this.  The book says it would work well in .308, .243, 30-30, abut the same book said I would love 4007.  I did fall in love with Varget for some other loads.  Now at $25 to $30 for a can it takes a lot of fun out of trying new stuff.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline roper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: IMR 4007 ssc???
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 03:32:47 AM »
I bought a can of this and haven't found anything it is really good for.  Anyone else try it with sucess?  I tried it in .243, 100 gr. and came up short on velocity.  Now I am trying it in a .308, having 75 fps variances, and signs of high pressure, hard extraction, and a couple cratered primers but no flattened primers yet, I am not up to the book max yet.  This is with 150 and 180 gr bullets.  I?Is there something with the short grains that make it spike?  A load increase of .5 gr. will show sudden pressure signs.  I haven't had these problems with 4320, 4350, Varget, 4831, or other powders I use.  If the velocity was consistent I .could maybe live with loads that do not come up to factory.  It is h.ot weather right now, but I started working with this stuff las.t year.

I guess I will have to watch for the next shipment of BLC-2.  Now I am afraid to try the CFE223 after this.  The book says it would work well in .308, .243, 30-30, abut the same book said I would love 4007.  I did fall in love with Varget for some other loads.  Now at $25 to $30 for a can it takes a lot of fun out of trying new stuff.

I tried IMR-4007ssc in a 243AI great powder for that haven't tried it in the 243 yet.  I've tried it in a custom 30-06,300WSM and it has good load density with some of the longer bullets so far haven't had any problems been a good powder for me.

I've been shooting it since it came out and it's never given me over published velocity sometimes little less than max but most cases not using the same amount as you would with say IMR-4350.  Hard to say with powders that should work but don't.  I get about same accuracy with IMR-4007ssc as my other loads.

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 03:54:45 PM »
OK, I started over.  180 gr. Remington Accubond, Win. WLR primer, once fired MIL brass, 45.0 weighed 4007ssc.  which is the starting load on IMR charts.  Got 2609, 2551, 2585.  Book says 2481 for this.  I will note that my chrono also read  factory 150 and 180 at faster than advertised.  I do realize that this brass is heavier, I have a 24" barrel handi, it was 75 deg. and my chrono was set at more like 10 feet as that worked for the pistol range setup I used.  Primers did not flatten, or crater, but did show signs of being at a reasonable pressure (not low).  The bullets were seated to the cannelure but not crimped.  If I can .now get this to work  with Hornadys I can live with it as I am looking to use this for a woods elk rifle this year.  If not, I can afford a box of factory stuff.

I was hoping for less spread in velocity and maybe some more velocity.

Anyone with more savvy think a crimp would help.

A light bulb just went off:  was I reading some of the blast being close to the chrono?  I will have to load a few more and try the standard 15 feet when I am not sneaking in a few minutes on the way home.

These 40 cent bullets and 5 cent primers are taking some of the fun out of this.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline helotaxi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 09:17:48 PM »
4007 is better suited to light bullets in the .243.  You might be closer in the .308.