Author Topic: Can i use a 357 MAX on a SB1 frame?  (Read 491 times)

Offline rc51kid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Can i use a 357 MAX on a SB1 frame?
« on: September 11, 2012, 04:10:09 AM »
i have a SB2 frame at the factory for a 357 barrel to be fitted. When i get it back i am considering seeing how well it works on my SB1 frame from versi pack. That way i would keep my Versi pack (22Lr, 410 and now 357) and sell off my SB2 frame. But if i ever reamed the 357 to max would i be able to use it on the SB1 frame? Also i am worried about the SB1 firing pin poping primers. But i figure i could try it out and see if this is happening.  Do you think it would be more or less likely to pop primers in lighter (38spl) loads than heavy lodes (357 mag or max)? I would like to be able to load up light 38spl loads with Winchester small pistol primers for subsonic plinking.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Can i use a 357 MAX on a SB1 frame?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 04:40:26 AM »
Maxi on SB1 is specifically answered in the FAQs, it works fine, you may or may not have problems with primers, just depends on what primers you use, SR primers with thicker cups work best.

Tim

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/primers-and-pressure-analysis/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:30:52 AM »
Suggest you check your Versa-Pack barrels on your SB2 frame.  If they fit, you could keep the SB2 frame and sell the SB1 frame.  Would give you all accessory barrel options down the road.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 12:17:11 PM »
Suggest you check your Versa-Pack barrels on your SB2 frame.  If they fit, you could keep the SB2 frame and sell the SB1 frame.  Would give you all accessory barrel options down the road.

Only if the SB2 frame was made 2000 or later, they won't fit rifle barrels other than 357 and 44 mag to older frames.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 01:38:10 PM »
you may or may not have problems with primers, just depends on what primers you use, SR primers with thicker cups work best.

Tim

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/primers-and-pressure-analysis/

YEP, THATS IT................ 8)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »
Hello,
 Yea, Tim is correct, plenty written on the subject. Numerous posts with this exact question...

But whats one more. ;)  Yes the SB1 is fine with the maxi, BUT you have a SB2, why would you want to use the SB1?  If its just the $$ you can sell the SB1. It will not fetch as much as the SB2 but almost.

The bigger issue with SB1 vs SB2 with the maxi is the possible aggravation associated with the larger firing pins and cratering primers.

Long story short, it's less aggravation just to stay with the SB2.

My first maxi was a factory origional, on a pre SB frame. But its nearer a SB1 than a SB2. I had it on that frame for a long time with no issues. It had a small firing pin as it was factory built for the maxi. many guys pull there hair out trying to shoot even regular 357 mags from a larger firing pin frame.

Tim also mentioned that Small Rifle primers and careful powder selections CAN "fix" the primer cratering. In keeping the SB2, its a non issue as the smaller firing pin correctly "fixes" the "shotgun" firing pin of many SB1 frames.

All this is assuming your SB1 is one with the larger firing pin. Do you know what it has?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.