Author Topic: Hornady 155g A-Max bullets  (Read 478 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Hornady 155g A-Max bullets
« on: September 14, 2012, 12:05:37 AM »
Anyone using them?

I acquired a box of 500 and I have a friend who loved a 150g for his 06. He shoots allot (mostly) of targets and a few coyotes sometimes a deer.

I know the weight is a match weight in "PALMA" matches. But don't see it labled as a "MATCH" bullet. (I know match bullets are not for hunting) This is my consern....

Any info appreciated.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: Hornady 155g A-Max bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 02:41:32 AM »
Ive had good luck, with the Amaxes in a 308 & 223. Prob my most accurrate loads were with the A Maxes. No experience with the hunting side of it. But I have heard lots of good reviews
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »
Taken 2 muleys with A-Max from a .308, doe at 75 yds or so, buck at 260. Doe passed through after making a mess of innards on a broadside, flopped over. On the buck it entered at/broke last rib and ended up under opposite front shoulder, not much weight retention, but he took a couple steps and flopped. Sorry, not hand loaded, factory loaded from Black Hills.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 07:17:45 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys!

I was hoping more had used them...

I have read a few comments of people shooting game with them, all have been pleased with the bullets preformance.

Any and all comments welcome.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »
The A-Max designates it as a target bullet. ALL the A-Max line are target bullets. They simply are not designed with terminal ballistics in mind. They might work and they might not and whether they do or don't might not even be consistent lot to lot since they are strictly designed for punching holes in paper.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 04:08:43 PM »
The A-Max designates it as a target bullet. ALL the A-Max line are target bullets. They simply are not designed with terminal ballistics in mind. They might work and they might not and whether they do or don't might not even be consistent lot to lot since they are strictly designed for punching holes in paper.

Agreed.  From Hornady's website:
Designed by match shooters for match shooters. 
Rapid, explosive expansion with limited penetration.
These bullets are not recommended for hunting.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.